Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: music from USB?

Registered Member

'17 CX-5 GT AWD

music from USB?

Just picked up a 2017 cx-5. I installed about 30GB of music on a usb drive . It seems to play fine but I noticed a few weird quirks that I wonder if it's possible to change.

1. If I choose USB as a source it automatically starts playing the very first track on the very first album (by the first artist alphabetically). Is there anyway to keep it come automatically starting to play until I select a specific artist/track etc.?

2. Usually when I come back to the car it takes over from where it left off the last time, but sometimes it again starts from the very first track on the drive. Is there anyway to stop this?

I noticed neither of these happened when I plugged in my iPhone to the USB drive.

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5

I have the same issue with my 2016.5. I for the life of me can't figure it out. What brand of jump drive are you using.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered Member

There was a TSB on that, I had it worked on at my dealer who resolved the issue... I have since simply replaced the head unit because I hated the sound quality...

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac43 View Post
    There was a TSB on that, I had it worked on at my dealer who resolved the issue... I have since simply replaced the head unit because I hated the sound quality...
    You would think that by the time they released the 2017 it would have been worked out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered Member ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

What's the TSB?

My 2014 has that issue. It starts at the beginning track. It never picks up where left off if car turned off and back on.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT w/tech

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    What's the TSB?

My 2014 has that issue. It starts at the beginning track. It never picks up where left off if car turned off and back on.
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-SMS-Bluetooth!!!

Registered Member

2016.5 Touring w/Tech

I have a 2016.5. Mine does that - going back to the first track on the USB - but only occasionally. Maybe once every 15-20 times.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Optimum AWD Black Mica

Take a look at this video on YouTube, it explains most of the problem playing from USB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-OINBhg4s

I have a 2014 and bluetooth module with software version 7.00, and it behaves the way as on the video. I think this is because there is no power on USB / BT when ingnition is shut off. Last played song is probably stored in some kind of memory, it starts playing as soon as the connection is established. As seen on the video, the player is still reading the content of the stick. Playlist says song 1/1. Larger USB stick, longer read time. I use a 32GB stick with 30GB of music. The read time is 54 seconds every time.

This means if the ignition is turned off, and time left on song "Now Playing" is less than reading time, the player will get a problem when turned on again. There is not enough time to read the stick before the song reach it's end. I don't get the USB error shown in video, but it starts playing from first track on USB after a while.

To avoid this problem I always skip current song to start, before I turn ignition off.

Maybe the same problem on later versions?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

For those playing from the USB, how do format the USB stick? And how do you organize the files? Just format and drag songs onto the drive?

Registered Member ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    For those playing from the USB, how do format the USB stick? And how do you organize the files? Just format and drag songs onto the drive?
    FAT32

At least on mine it didn't seem to care how I organized it. It reorganized it into "By Album" as opposed to the folders I created on the USB drive which I would prefer.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Registered Member

2016.5 Touring w/Tech

The info system organizes by date/time the music was loaded onto the USB, so it's a bit inconvenient. But there's a very simple program - I forget the name but you can google it - that will reorganize the music alphabetically. It's apparently an issue with almost all car units, not just Mazda Connect.
    edit: here it is... https://techmadeplain.com/2014/how-t...ve-car-stereo/

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

try putting one song on the root directory - saw this suggestion and it worked for me. I keep it on shuffle and picks up where it left off when I turned off the car. Occasionally (maybe once a month) it skips back about 10 songs in the shuffle queue.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by cx5smurf View Post
    try putting one song on the root directory - saw this suggestion and it worked for me. I keep it on shuffle and picks up where it left off when I turned off the car. Occasionally (maybe once a month) it skips back about 10 songs in the shuffle queue.
    That was my suggestion. It worked in my VW.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

I listen to MP3 audio books I copy to a USB drive and had some of the problems mentioned above, mainly the inability to start again from where you left off--pretty critical for an audiobook. I started out using a regular USB thumb drive, the ones that are about 3" long. The drive's fit into the USB socket didn't seem too secure to me and I thought that maybe some of the problems were due to an accidental mechanical disconnect, for instance when I pick up my phone, which I usually lay near the USB slots. I found a real stubby USB drive; it's only about 1/2" long. Its mechanical fit in the USB socket feels much tighter and I have had no more instances of the book starting from the very beginning, as opposed to where I left off, since I started using the short USB drive.

This solution might not work for all, but the drive cost less than $10 (16 GB is more than enough for books) so it might be worth a try, especially if you think you might often jostle a longer USB drive.