Stiff ride - 2017 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

ZoomZoomRider

:
2017 Mazda CX-9
Hi guys. I've had my CX-9 for about 4-5 days now. I've driven a lot of it. I like everything so far. However, we have some pretty bad roads. And my Mazda is making me realize it too obiviously all the time when I drive on these. My whole body shapes from side to side, up and down. I haven't done any modes or any adjustments to the wheels. They're the stock 20" wheels on GT AWD with Tech package. Is tehre anyway to soften the ride? I remember who luxury cars, you really don't feel the bad road surfaces, the wheels just bounce themselves intead of affecting you. Can we achieve such experience on this car? If yes, would we be able to do it without losing the handling?

The easiest thing is to reduce wheel size / thereby increasing sidewall height. The sport and touring come with the 18's, which unfortunately look undersized. No doubt they soak up rough roads better though. Perhaps you could ask the dealer if you can drive one with 18's on the same roads for comparison. Even if this is the easiest change, it's still going to cost you even if you can sell your 20's. From all the reviews I've seen, the ride has been described as well balanced and soaks up bumps well with the 20's. Softer than any other Mazda. Did you come from a very soft riding car before this?

Agree...my tire pressures were 6psi over the recommended psi from manual when I took delivery from dealer...it brought a slight improvement after deflating it to the correct pressures. We also have a lot of bad roads in our area but the so called bumps are absorbed well by the 20inch wheels...experience coming from 7yrs of driving our previous Volvo that had 18inch wheels and I would say our CX9 has better dampenings despite the larger wheels.

I'm a new owner of '17 GT and coming from a Chevy Traverse I find the ride over bumps comparable. I'm in Michigan and the roads are terrible. I actually wish the CX-9 was a bit stiffer because the handling is so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. I'll check out the pressure. By the way, is it always handling vs comfort? Can't have both?

Comfort and handling goes together like power and efficiency which is to say not too well. Or like tire design. A tire can be designed for snow OR dry high performance, not both. Not to say a vehicle that can handle very well can't be comfortable but it isn't easy and usually expensive. Mazda strikes the balance best in class. Notice you have the Miata and then everything else. The Miata is a pure handling sports car, the rest of the lineup is tuned for balance. You wouldn't want to go down a washboard road in a Miata. It's just inherent in design. Handling requires stiffness by definition. Just depends how much you want. Look at how stiff and low supercars have to be.

Hi guys. I've had my CX-9 for about 4-5 days now. I've driven a lot of it. I like everything so far. However, we have some pretty bad roads. And my Mazda is making me realize it too obiviously all the time when I drive on these. My whole body shapes from side to side, up and down. I haven't done any modes or any adjustments to the wheels. They're the stock 20" wheels on GT AWD with Tech package. Is tehre anyway to soften the ride? I remember who luxury cars, you really don't feel the bad road surfaces, the wheels just bounce themselves intead of affecting you. Can we achieve such experience on this car? If yes, would we be able to do it without losing the handling?
Check your springs for transportation blocks that vehicles are shipped from the factory. Sometimes dealers forget to remove them when they prepare vehicles for sale. Family member had this happened to his brand new BMW, ride was very unpleasant to say the least

Check your springs for transportation blocks that vehicles are shipped from the factory. Sometimes dealers forget to remove them when they prepare vehicles for sale. Family member had this happened to his brand new BMW, ride was very unpleasant to say the least

LOL. That would be unbelievable.

I thought the same when I switched from a Chevy Traverse with 18 inch rims and tall side wall on the rims. It was such a comfortable ride then I bought the Grand Touring with 20 inch wheels. I'm also on the low end of the tire pressure settings too.

I do like the responsive suspension of the CX-9 though. The stock Duelers tires are square and offer a very flat contact patch which I don't like. When these are done I won't go back to the stock Bridgestones for sure.

There just isn't enough sidewall thickness to soften up the ride. I'm also debating going from 245-50 to 245-55 size.

I'm a new owner of '17 GT and coming from a Chevy Traverse I find the ride over bumps comparable. I'm in Michigan and the roads are terrible. I actually wish the CX-9 was a bit stiffer because the handling is so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots to like about the snow-mitten state, but I agree Michigan does have horrible roads; it always surprised me since all the Motor City hype.
They allow the semi trucks to be super-heavy, which in part tears up roads.
Plus they build the road poorly (it appears no one took physics in that state given the lack of banked on and off ramps)
It amazes me sometimes how good/bad roads varies across states, regardless of taxes (see Calif with poor road construction given the very high gas and car taxes).
Granted, winter weather can take a toll, but there are plenty of places where this is not the case.

That said, thumbs up on the responsiveness of the CX-9; the ride is, to me, pretty good all things considered. But my comparison was a modern sedan were the struts only last 20K before the ride suffers.

Last edited:
Back