Head gasket leaking oil?

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
I've got an oil leak near the A/C compressor (not the compressor tho). I thought it was just the V/C gasket (which I need too) but when I studied it you can see it's relatively dry above the head gasket, and wet below. It's leaked maybe a few months - small leak. Car runs great, so compression must be OK for now. Is it worth trying to torque the head bolts or something? Car's never had the head off & trying to avoid that work. I can live with the leak but afraid of what's next?

I doubt it, I bet it's a cam seal or front crank seal leaking on to the timing belt, flinging around inside the timing cover and weeping through the gaps. Power steering pump looks dry?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

You might wanna try something like this...

I heard that stuff does a really good job at sealing up oil passages, really helps to get those rod and main bearings spinning...

Seriously, the Devils not even in the details, it's in the name!!

I heard that stuff does a really good job at sealing up oil passages, really helps to get those rod and main bearings spinning...

Seriously, the Devils not even in the details, it's in the name!!

Yea... I guess it's kind of a gamble.
Same problem with the rad stop leak.

I guess it depends on how bad the leak is and how much your car is worth.

My neighbor had an oil leak with his 2002 Bravada it worked for him and saved him $1200 in labor costs.
It's been running good for over a year now.

Well I looked again and there's a thin trail from a V/C bolt down the edge of the timing cover behind the P/S pump. About 50% sure that's it. I'll go ahead and swap out the gasket and should know for sure in a few days. Also, I've never put the silicone on the 2 gasket corners and might do that if it looks suspicious too. The old gasket is 4 years old.

You need to seal the corners of the cam caps with silicone when you install the VC gasket, it will leak and ruin the timing belt. You won't be able to see the leak under the timing cover so it could have been leaking since you last changed the gasket.

Do your self a favor, don't use any sort of stop leak. This is after about an hour's worth of scrubbing with a wire brush. Idiot I bout it from said the motor was blown. Nope needed a head gasket... Best $350 I ever spent.
bea277b1f4816f35c05c6af512e26c98.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back