2017 CX-5 drl question

I just checked. The headlights come on while driving in any of the 4 possible settings on the stalk.

Whats the point in having these cool looking DRL shapes when all you can see are headlights? Why not stick stock halogens / LED headlights and reduce MSRP by $50. What sucks for 17s is that iJDM Toy or others will probably not be making any aftermarket DRLs since all models get this fake DRL. Atleast we 16 owners can get aftermarket near the fog light housing.

I am guessing number of 17 owners who are pissed are > 50%. We need to put this as a sticky for potential 17 owners.

So it looks like Mazda USA has decided to have lights on all the time regardless of what setting you select on the stalk. Therefore having DRL's on the GT is pointless.

I suggest all those who have bought the GT do to Mazda and ask for a refund for the proportion of the DRL cost added to the GT! ;)

I have a GT premium so I was also confused with the behavior of the DRLs/halo/LED tail in general. The salesperson told me on the day I picked up my GT that the DRL uses the low beam but at a lower level of intensity, which matches what I observe when I'm driving with the light stalk set to OFF.

FWIW, there is an accessory in Japan called the Day Light Kit that according to the description seems to do what we expect the DRLs are supposed to do. Maybe this kit is included by default in certain market (not in US) and those press cars we see have this kit installed? I'd love to get my hands on this kit and disable the headlight based DRL to get that halo look :D

This is the kit I talked about:

http://www.mazda.co.jp/purchase/accessories/detail/KF15640

I have a GT premium so I was also confused with the behavior of the DRLs/halo/LED tail in general. The salesperson told me on the day I picked up my GT that the DRL uses the low beam but at a lower level of intensity, which matches what I observe when I'm driving with the light stalk set to OFF.

FWIW, there is an accessory in Japan called the Day Light Kit that according to the description seems to do what we expect the DRLs are supposed to do. Maybe this kit is included by default in certain market (not in US) and those press cars we see have this kit installed? I'd love to get my hands on this kit and disable the headlight based DRL to get that halo look :D

This is the kit I talked about:

http://www.mazda.co.jp/purchase/accessories/detail/KF15640

So when the light stalk is off, only DRL on right?

B62TV7790.JPG

Day light kit

Always light the LED position lamp. With the engine ON, only the LED position lamp lights, the meter and the center display do not dim, and the tail lamp does not light up. ※ OFF switch included. Brightness is the same as when the position lamp is lit. ※ The display price of this product is the installation cost included price.

This was translated from the Japanese Mazda Accessories website.

Hopefully with more owners realizing that Mazda set this up in this asinine way there will be a change in the works soon.

Pretty sure this is not how 16s work. You can distinctively see only the LED DRLs - and this is how pretty much the whole world works.
Maybe Mazda should call it Daylight Running Headlights with Lower Than Normal Voltage - DRH-LTNV.

So guys from now on you have DRH-LTNV and not DRLs like the rest of the auto industry knows it. Bummer - hoping to see this fixed in 2018.
It can be useful when the sun is a having a bad day.
DRH-LTNV?! Lol! Looks like US version 2017 CX-5 GT is indeed at least features DR-H-L! Mazda actually may make 2017 CX-5 not meeting DOT regulations with both LED headlights and Signature DRLs on unless the headlights are in reduced power? 2017 CX-5 owner's should go to NHTSA website and file a complain to these DRLs!

Hopefully with more owners realizing that Mazda set this up in this asinine way there will be a change in the works soon.
The most effective way to force Mazda North American Operations making change is to file a complaint at NHTSA website as headlights can't be in full power while serving as DRLs!

This is going to further confuse those drivers who drive at night with just their DRL and don't realize their headlights aren't on.

Even dim the headlights are extremely bright for daytime.

DRH-LTNV?! Lol! Looks like US version 2017 CX-5 GT is indeed at least features DR-H-L! Mazda actually may make 2017 CX-5 not meeting DOT regulations with both LED headlights and Signature DRLs on unless the headlights are in reduced power? 2017 CX-5 owner's should go to NHTSA website and file a complain to these DRLs!

I was scared how you would re-act when you hear this. NHTSA is a big lol.
My dreams of getting a used '17 2 years down the road are dashed!

Like Unobtamium would say - "This toaster don have LED indicator lights - how do I know if its toasting???"

This is going to further confuse those drivers who drive at night with just their DRL and don't realize their headlights aren't on.

Even dim the headlights are extremely bright for daytime.

That's why it should work on auto setting. DRLs on during day, headlights automatically on at night

A little more testing.

Headlights set to auto
Daylight outside
Pull into garage (as we all now know, headlights are already on even though it is daylight)
Garage is darker than outside
Eventually (a few seconds) green indicator comes on by itself showing that headlights have now been turned on (tail lights and parking lights also come on)
Light intensity against the garage wall does not change
So, to me, headlights are at full intensity even during daylight hours.
The only thing the auto setting does is turn on your tail lights and parking lights and dim interior lights.

Last edited:
A little more testing.

Headlights set to auto
Daylight outside
Pull into garage (as we all now know, headlights are already on even though it is daylight)
Garage is darker than outside
Eventually (a few seconds) green indicator comes on by itself showing that headlights have now been turned on (tail lights and parking lights also come on)
Light intensity against the garage wall does not change
So, to me, headlights are at full intensity even during daylight hours.
The only thing the auto setting does is turn on your tail lights and parking lights and dim interior lights.

Something definitely wrong there.

When headlights set to auto in the garage (that is darker than outside), all lights (headlights, tail, number plate) should come on along with green light indicator on dash.

Back