2017 CX-5 drl question

Not sure why people are skipping over this post. The graphic clearly shows that both the parking lights and the "headlight" are used as the DRL. I think people are confused because while it's the same bulb used for DRL and headlights, the difference will be how bright they are (i.e. when in DRL mode the headlight will be on but dimmer... and when the headlight is on it'll be the same bulb again but only brighter).

It's not a different bulb being used for DRL or headlight.

See, I'm lazy and have not looked at the manual for the new car. As I've been seeing several '17 CX-5 GT's showing up in other threads, I was actually going to ask, instead of everyone taking their cars to the dealerships, bothering Mazda, etc, is there actually an owner of a new GT that can prove their headlights/DRL do NOT operate in this configuration?

Like I stated prior I don't like the look of it, but I have verified that the headlights operate along with what I assumed was the DRL lights, during the day, with the lights in 'Auto' on the stalk. When this happens, the tail lights are NOT on, so it would not in fact be an issue with the ambient light sensor, as the tail lights would also light up. Which I also verified during the night, in which everything seems to operate as one would 'expect', front and rear lights on, along with the 'DRL' lights.

I know that there is a bunch of junk you can tinker with in the dealer menu of the radio, that could possibly alter this configuration, but I haven't had the time to dig up on the forums where to access these settings... I have wondered if there is something in there.

But this just brings me back to my question, can anyone that actually owns a GT in the US prove, with their lights in the 'Auto' configuration, that the headlights do not run during the day as part of the DRL configuration?

Last edited:
Completely pointless to disable DRL but advertise it as a feature in the brochure

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just checked. The headlights come on while driving in any of the 4 possible settings on the stalk.

I just checked. The headlights come on while driving in any of the 4 possible settings on the stalk.

I stand corrected then. You 2017 guys may have to bite the bullet. That said this is weird. Any international model guys care to check you lights?

It's on and dimmed always when driving and then goes full when you either turn the headlights to the on position or auto turns them on for you.

I stand corrected then. You 2017 guys may have to bite the bullet. That said this is weird. Any international model guys care to check you lights?

I'd be disappointed. All photos suggest the headlight (center, not the halo) is not lit up unless the headlights themselves are on.

Not sure why people are skipping over this post. The graphic clearly shows that both the parking lights and the "headlight" are used as the DRL. I think people are confused because while it's the same bulb used for DRL and headlights, the difference will be how bright they are (i.e. when in DRL mode the headlight will be on but dimmer... and when the headlight is on it'll be the same bulb again but only brighter).

It's not a different bulb being used for DRL or headlight.

Pretty sure this is not how 16s work. You can distinctively see only the LED DRLs - and this is how pretty much the whole world works.
Maybe Mazda should call it Daylight Running Headlights with Lower Than Normal Voltage - DRH-LTNV.

So guys from now on you have DRH-LTNV and not DRLs like the rest of the auto industry knows it. Bummer - hoping to see this fixed in 2018.
It can be useful when the sun is a having a bad day.

What blows is this is one of the top 5 reasons to buy a GT.
1.Tranny
2.Handling
3.Looks
4.DRL
5. No Auto lift gate.

Pretty sure this is not how 16s work. You can distinctively see only the LED DRLs - and this is how pretty much the whole world works.
Maybe Mazda should call it Daylight Running Headlights with Lower Than Normal Voltage - DRH-LTNV.

So guys from now on you have DRH-LTNV and not DRLs like the rest of the auto industry knows it. Bummer - hoping to see this fixed in 2018.
It can be useful when the sun is a having a bad day.

16's have independent lighting systems...essentially independent light bulbs for the headlight, DRL, and turn signals.

One benefit if the 17's truly use the LED headlights as the DRL's source of light is that they won't go out and flicker. That said I'm sure someone can tweak and hack those settings:)

So guys from now on you have DRH-LTNV and not DRLs like the rest of the auto industry knows it.

Can someone post pictures of this "DRH-LTNV" in action? Curious to see if the headlights (when dimmed) are stealing the show of the halo, or actually making them look smarter.

Can someone post pictures of this "DRH-LTNV" in action? Curious to see if the headlights (when dimmed) are stealing the show of the halo, or actually making them look smarter.

It steals the show. You can really only see the headlights in my opinion. I have to believe this is a mistake. I may go by the dealer tomorrow and have him disable the drls and see if that just disables the headlights during daytime driving, leaving the led halo turned on. An.d looking again, I really can't tell if the headlights are dimming at all when it should be just the drl's. With someone else driving, I couldn't tell at all when they switched stalk positions, except that the fogs would come on when the lights were actually turned on

Also, if you have your fogs set to on, they will only come on when your headlights are turned on or Auto setting turns your headlights on. I know on my 2014 I could have the fogs on anytime.

Last edited:
And looking again, I really can't tell if the headlights are dimming at all when it should be just the drl's.

That would be the worst scenario. If the headlights are not even dimmed I really feel sorry for the beautiful halo displayed in all the promotional pictures/videos (which in my opinion looks better than my 16.5)

My 2017 GT has DRL and headlights on when moving...the car has to move before the lights come on, but it's both the center light and the DRL/Parking lights that illuminate. It even does this when stalk in "off" postion. I think this partially confirms bigtex and joe6864. Mazda's programming or circuitry apparently set to consider center light as part of DRL. Count me as another driver who would like to have only DRL/Parking lights function as DRL.

I can confirm my wife's 17' CX-5 GT (w/o premium) has the headlights on with DRLs. I noticed it the other day when we both left for work. She was following me and I saw her bright LEDs when going over some hills. I called her and double checked if it was set to Auto, and it was. It didn't seem like On made a difference in brightness.

Another note, the tail lights light up mildly along with the brake light portion when braking during the day. It looks pretty neat.

Its really sad - someone needs to get the word out before people assume those beautiful DRLs will be on while driving - else you all will look like dumdums driving with your headlights on during day.
Will start commenting on Youtube videos now that I realized this. Very sad.

No one looks dumb driving with headlight on during the day, Kaps. In this day and age where every car has DRL's? Not so much. And so what? It's not like we EVER see our DRL's because they turn off when you move to park. LOL

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859579-The-only-way-I-ever-see-my-DRLs

Whats the point in having these cool looking DRL shapes when all you can see are headlights? Why not stick stock halogens / LED headlights and reduce MSRP by $50. What sucks for 17s is that iJDM Toy or others will probably not be making any aftermarket DRLs since all models get this fake DRL. Atleast we 16 owners can get aftermarket near the fog light housing.

I am guessing number of 17 owners who are pissed are > 50%. We need to put this as a sticky for potential 17 owners.

Back