2017 CX-5 drl question

Also if I remember correctly, parkers (low beam) and the DRL "bulb" are the same. Difference is DRL's setting gives them a higher intensity when on. Switch to parkers and it becomes low intensity (same intensity as when headlights are on).

Last edited:
Having all lights on when auto is switched on during the day defeats the purpose of auto lights.

Basically unless the conditions are right to trigger the headlights to come on, you should just have DRL's running like this:

image.jpg

The USA brochure states DRL's are available:

002.jpg

The USA dealer(s) should have to have a good reason to turn them off. Otherwise what is the purpose of having them? Doesn't make any sense.

Perfectly explained.

When you contact Mazda USA HQ, let us know what their response is please

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

here is a screenshot of the front lighting from page 6-44
2017_mazda_cx5_front_lighting.png

Last edited:
I expect this is what is causing some of the differences being seen:

2017 GT
LED headlights with Auto-Leveling
LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
LED fog lights
LED Signature combination taillights
Adaptive Front-lighting System
Auto on/off headlights

2017 Sport and Touring
LED headlights
Daytime Running Lights
Auto-off headlights

Called Mazda this morning and was told that it seems like this is the intended operation. I told him I have various images showing the headlights off during the day and the fact that no other car line has designed their lighting to work this way. He claims he will do more research and call me back. I'll keep you guys posted.

Called Mazda this morning and was told that it seems like this is the intended operation. I told him I have various images showing the headlights off during the day and the fact that no other car line has designed their lighting to work this way. He claims he will do more research and call me back. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mazda's claim appears to contradict owner's manual, the table clearly indicates that headlights and DRL have independent behaviors:

Auto-Light Control.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I've tried it in auto and with the light stalk set to off with no change. The only mode that has just the drl on is the setting right before manual headlights on which turns on all lights except the headlights but that includes dash and tail lamps which I don't want during the day.
I don't see anything on glass blocking light sensor. This is why I want to see if any other 2017 owners are having a different experience before I bring it in to the dealer.

Wait a minute all you want is to have the DRL (headlights off) while driving? 1 question and 1 suggestion.

You should provide under what conditions are you testing to verify your problem? In neutral in a garage with a mirror on the wall, in neutral outside in broad daylight in front of a building's glass window reflection, driving behind a truck in traffic using its bumper's metal reflection. ect. You can't possibly verify your problem while parked.

The mode you're seeking should be default. Try resetting back to factory settings via the infotainment system.

This thread and the dash popping out are the reasons I avoided GT. In distant future if I ever felt the need for a quiet interior will swap my Touring for a used 17 Sport and suffer the awful EPA#.

here is a screenshot of the front lighting from page 6-44
View attachment 216477

Not sure why people are skipping over this post. The graphic clearly shows that both the parking lights and the "headlight" are used as the DRL. I think people are confused because while it's the same bulb used for DRL and headlights, the difference will be how bright they are (i.e. when in DRL mode the headlight will be on but dimmer... and when the headlight is on it'll be the same bulb again but only brighter).

It's not a different bulb being used for DRL or headlight.

Not sure why people are skipping over this post. The graphic clearly shows that both the parking lights and the "headlight" are used as the DRL. I think people are confused because while it's the same bulb used for DRL and headlights, the difference will be how bright they are (i.e. when in DRL mode the headlight will be on but dimmer... and when the headlight is on it'll be the same bulb again but only brighter).

Ok, if you get the DRL turned off at dealership, would it turn off just the headlight and leave the led surround like we are seeing in some pictures, or would it turn off everything I wonder?

You're saying the light source of the DRL...is...the same as the LED headlight. That graphic doesn't
prove or disprove your statement though. It merely identifies the location of various lights. Not their actual light sources.

I don't believe this is correct because when in park if you turn the headlight switch to the setting after auto that turns on all the lamps with the exception headlights the DRL's come on without the headlamp proving they are different bulbs. Unfortunately once you start driving the headlights come then come on.

I don't believe this is correct because when in park if you turn the headlight switch to the setting after auto that turns on all the lamps with the exception headlights the DRL's come on without the headlamp proving they are different bulbs. Unfortunately once you start driving the headlights come then come on.

A design in which joe6864 is describing would have to implement a way to eliminate light bleed completely. Headlight on DRL fully off. Headlight off DRL on. Would be pretty expensive to implement Plasma TV technology in headlight systems :).

Wait a minute all you want is to have the DRL (headlights off) while driving? 1 question and 1 suggestion.

You should provide under what conditions are you testing to verify your problem? In neutral in a garage with a mirror on the wall, in neutral outside in broad daylight in front of a building's glass window reflection, driving behind a truck in traffic using its bumper's metal reflection. ect. You can't possibly verify your problem while parked.

The mode you're seeking should be default. Try resetting back to factory settings via the infotainment system.

I have tested with all the methods you mentioned and also with my wife driving the car while I was in another vehicle I can state without any doubt that headlights are always illuminated in drive and moving.

As far as resetting factory defaults no dice.

I did see a 17 sport on the road the other day and it also had its headlights on in the daylight (conditions were overcast at the time but that model doesn't have auto mode) that model does not have the signature LED DRL. I'm finding myself shocked Mazda would purposely do something this silly.

one more screenshot from the owner's manual page 4-52

Attachments

• chrome_2017-05-01_10-31-09.png
    chrome_2017-05-01_10-31-09.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 508
I have tested with all the methods you mentioned and also with my wife driving the car while I was in another vehicle I can state without any doubt that headlights are always illuminated in drive and moving.

As far as resetting factory defaults no dice.

I did see a 17 sport on the road the other day and it also had its headlights on in the daylight (conditions were overcast at the time but that model doesn't have auto mode) that model does not have the signature LED DRL. I'm finding myself shocked Mazda would purposely do something this silly.

The review pics and videos I've seen shown numerous examples of the headlights completely off and DRLs on. Hang in there, its likely someone else can provide a resolution on this. Just to be clear all the other 17 models on the dealer lot was like this too?

Maybe it was decided by someone that the signature led drl was not enough for drl purposes, so the headlight was also activated, but dimmed. Again, I wonder if the dealer disables the drl's, will it just shut off the dimmed headlight, or will it shut off everything.

Back