2017 CX-5 drl question

Just looking at thew new Mazda 6 reviews here which also show the DRL's in action (see below) and I have to say if this is the actual brightness then thank goodness my CX-5 DRL's are much brighter:

w5q1y.jpg

Last edited:
Wait..that's on?

Supposedly.

I want to see one in person to confirm if this actually the case (brightness wise) and if so then that's not very good.

̶A̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶D̶R̶L̶'̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶X̶-̶9̶,̶ ̶a̶t̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶.̶

Last edited:
FYI:

Just saw a 2018 Mazda CX-8 Asaki (top grade) and the DRL's are identical to our GT & Akera CX-5 DRL's that is halo + led bulb under it.

Last edited:
Why does Australia have these Japanese sounding names for thier Mazdas? I want an Akera! [emoji12]

I hate the names here. Touring. GRAND Touring. Woo woo! The Japanese have obviously done some research and somehow figured out these names appeal to some of us. It seems every Japanese brand has a stupid "Touring" model. So. Lame.
I really miss names. I had a Firebird once...and a Thunderbird. Explorer is a great name for an SUV. Escape, too.

I hate the names here. Touring. GRAND Touring. Woo woo! The Japanese have obviously done some research and somehow figured out these names appeal to some of us. It seems every Japanese brand has a stupid "Touring" model. So. Lame.
I really miss names. I had a Firebird once...and a Thunderbird. Explorer is a great name for an SUV. Escape, too.

Yeah but car people refer to stuff like E46, B16, ND/NC, (EJ/EK/EM), ect. and not to mention cool engine related names like VTEC, Vanos, 4G63T*....okay some German ones in there too. Not so much trims.

That said I always get confused with Fords's trims. Like even the low trim ones sound very high end.

Ford Fiesta Titanium or Platinum. Sure sounds like a 500hp fire breathing rolling rocket !!!!

Lol. Right? Which is the higher? Platinum is worth much more but Titanium is much stronger!

I saw a Mazda 3 with the GT headlights and they look a lot dimmer and more yellow than my Cx5, which can also look pretty dim and yellow in the day time compared to a lot of the other DRLs I see on the road. The 3 was significantly worse

I was disappointed when I learned how the DRLs operate. I am over it now and like how distinct it is from near and far. A couple things that I don't think were mentioned in the last 32 pages..

-The bulb(s) in the headlight projector housing definitely operates at two different outputs for DRL and Low Beam. The transition can clearly be seen when entering a parking garage or tunnel. The DRL output is also not adaptive and you can see the headlights turn immediately when low beam comes on while driving and cornering. There are parking garages and tunnels I frequent that make it easy to see the transition.

-"Last gen was able to offer the accent only look so why can't we have it?" The location and output of each bulb does not seem similar enough for comparison.. there's a lot of regulation around these designs

-"CX-9 has it so why can't we?" The CX-9 does have accent only DRLs and they are significantly brighter than the CX-5 accent lights. The CX-9 also has LED signals up front that are much brighter than the CX-5 offers.

My theory is that cost(LED signals) impacted this decision for Mazda. If they decided to put LED up front I am sure there would be some folks complaining about not having rear LED signals as well. They definitely accomplished the primary purpose of DRLs.. visibility to other drivers for safety

Happy that you all love headlights as much as I do!

Do you guys think running our LED headlights 24/7 (either as DRL or headlights at night) will shorten the life of the LED? They are really expensive to replace!

Do you guys think running our LED headlights 24/7 (either as DRL or headlights at night) will shorten the life of the LED? They are really expensive to replace!
Everything has its life expectancy. LEDs and their circuitry components are the same. LEDs have a general life expectancy of 50,000 hours. It's 13.7 years for 10-hours-a-day usage. The quality of circuit design and component selection is also played a major role for longevity. The failing accent strip LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5 is a perfect example of poor design and quality.

2a684kh.jpg

The new lights were fitted today...

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_181122.jpg
    IMG_20180806_181122.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 138

LED bulbs usually last for a very long time and the technology is improving. More than likely KF/KG LED bulbs will last longer than KE LED bulbs

Back