2017 CX-5 drl question

cx-5-03.jpg

I noticed the HUD on this one still uses the plastic flappy screen.

Forgot to mention, you have to do each set within 5 seconds, so for example do the parking light to off 5 times within 5 seconds and so forth. At the end after make sure to disengage the parking brakes before you let off the brake pedal.

Ok I didn't do that. I'm overnighting in Stuttgart and will try it tomorrow. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Yeah, it looks like the Aussie's have an inboard DRL that is not on US spec cars that looks like it is on all the time when driving. But at least it's not the headlights.

attachment.php
Looks like UK has the same setup as Australia.

mazda-cx-5-716.jpg
Looks like the higher-trim 2017 CX-5's with LED Signature accent strips in Australia and UK keep the "inboard" LED DRLs found on US Touring/Sport. For some reason that "inboard" DRLs are missing from our GT with LED Signature accent strips.

Although 2017 CX-5 owner's manual says the front turn signal/parking light uses dual-filament 7444NA bulb, but the pictures I took earlier on a 2017 CX-5 GT suggests otherwise:

Light switch at parking light position:
attachment.php

Light switch at headlight on position (low beam):
attachment.php

LED Signature accent strips added on GT partially block turn signal and LED DRL location on Touring/Sport. And you can see how small and dim the turn signal is on GT comparing to Touring/Sport when the headlights are on!

The LED DRL space on Touring/Sport between headlight and amber parking/turn signal looks like unused on GT.

View attachment 217137 View attachment 217136

Here are some pictures from 2017 CX-5 Touring showing whenever DRL function is on, both LED DRLs and LED low-beam headlights are simultaneously on! You can imagine how GT DRLs work by replacing Touring LED DRLs with GT's LED Signature DRLs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at parking light position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at headlight-on position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Finally for 2017 CX-5 Touring the high-beam is from the same LED cell for the low beam in the projector, and use a shutter to control them like 2015 bi-xenon HID. For 2016 LED headlights we have a separate LED cell at inner side of the low beam LED dedicated for high beam only.

View attachment 216512 View attachment 216513 View attachment 216515 View attachment 216514

Totally agree with you! And this's the same setup our 2016(.5) CX-5 GT with Tech Package gets too!

I believe this perfect DRL setup on 2017 CX-5 is from Germany.
We should see the video clip of this one because if memory serves this could just be parkers on. Hmmmm (uhm)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just saw one drive past and it had the headlights on too with the signature LEDs. It's day time and when I looked in my rear vision mirrors tail lights were off so it looks to be in DRL mode with headlights also on. [emoji1304] At least there's a way around it as discussed in this thread [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey m8te. Had a SRC in my rear view mirror this afternoon and just DRL's were on as per below:

Capture.jpg

So Oz has it right after all :D

Looks promising and looks like it has some inner parker lights on together with the halos or is it actually in Parker mode with tail lights on? Hmm. I need to wait till I see more on the roads before I'm able to catch one on the move conclusively or check one out at the dealers on my next service interval.

Those would be an additional DRL bulb, much like in the lower trim levels here. Not parkers as the other parking lights aren't on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DRL configuration was a design choice by Mazda. The accent lighting on it's own isn't bright enough to be allowed to be considered the DRL - at least not where I am located.

Put the headlights in parking light mode with ebrake on here in NA (so only the halo / accent lighting are on) and put it right beside a Gen1 HID headlight with the headlights off in DRL mode. Notice how much brighter they are on the Gen 1? At least part of the gen 2 accent lighting would need to be on that level of brightness for them to be allowed as DRL.

Put the NA CX-9 with the DRL halo / accent lighting and put it next to the CX-5. Notice how much brighter the CX-9's are? What makes that CX-9 signature lighting different from the CX-5? I have no idea.

Whether it's a technical limitation of the components inside the accent lighting on the CX-5 or simply a visual design choice who knows... only the Mazda engineers. But it is what it is - at least here in NA.

Someone else much earlier in this thread, or possibly another, argued that there is no other car on the road that has an LED accent light that isn't used as the DRL. At the time I found a couple of cars that use LED headlights as DRL's but that wasn't good enough for them and I didn't care enough to waste time searching.

Well, one fell in my lap this weekend. I have just noticed that my brother's Subaru Outback is the exact same - even "worse" (subjectively) as it has LED accent lighting, HID headlights and halogen high beams and they use the halogen high beam as the actual DRL. The accent lighting remains on when the headlights are on. Why? Simply to add style to the headlight housing. There's no other reason for it - much like the accent lighting on the CX-5 GTs.

239581.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

We all know DRL comes from the headlight housing and is lower power / brightness. Has anyone confirmed that there isn't a separate LED in the projector itself that's dedicated for DRL mode or that it is in fact the same element? That's entirely possible, but I can't confirm it. If however that's the case it would eliminate the argument / lifespan concern.

It's also entirely possible it's the same LED at a lower brightness, or even a 3rd stage to the motorized reflector in the bowl to block more light at the same element brightness.

My point is arguing the viability and reliability of the design is a moot point and pure speculation until it is confirmed how the headlights are engineered and failures start happening,then determining the cause behind those failures.

The only argument is that it doesn't look the way you want it to because you'd like it to look like a Bimmer with it's halos, and that's fine, but it doesn't make the design "wrong".

I've never seen anything brighter then the 16 CX-5s DRL. And the 9 is brighter still?

The DRL configuration was a design choice by Mazda.
I agree. But it's a bad design choice for US customers.

The accent lighting on it's own isn't bright enough to be allowed to be considered the DRL - at least not where I am located.
Most regions with specific DRL regulation have imposed upper limit of brightness due to glare concerns and added power consumption. European Union Directive 2008/89/EC specifies "functional piggybacking, such as operating the headlamps or front turn signals or fog lamps as DRLs, is not permitted; DRLs compliant with R87 emit white light of between 400 and 1,200 candela."

Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 originally requires an axial luminous intensity limit of 1,500 cd on DRLs, but due to added cost with dedicated DRLs for such the low light output claimed by automakers, then changed to permit the use of reduced-voltage high beam headlamps producing up to 7,000 axial candela. "These changes to the regulation permitted automakers to implement a less costly DRL, such as by connecting the high beam filaments in series to supply each filament with half its rated voltage, or by burning the front turn signals full-time except when they are actually flashing as turn indicators."

Someone else much earlier in this thread, or possibly another, argued that there is no other car on the road that has an LED accent light that isn't used as the DRL. At the time I found a couple of cars that use LED headlights as DRL's but that wasn't good enough for them and I didn't care enough to waste time searching.

Well, one fell in my lap this weekend. I have just noticed that my brother's Subaru Outback is the exact same - even "worse" (subjectively) as it has LED accent lighting, HID headlights and halogen high beams and they use the halogen high beam as the actual DRL. The accent lighting remains on when the headlights are on. Why? Simply to add style to the headlight housing. There's no other reason for it - much like the accent lighting on the CX-5 GTs.

239581.jpg
New Subaru Outback has both LED accent strips and reduce-powered halogen high beams serving as DRLs is a bad choices too . The reason I believe is Subaru is trying not to change any DRL wires hooked to high beam halogen bulb from lower trims without LED accent strips. In any event it's only a halogen bulb and can be easily and cheaply replaced without consuming any life of low beams which are used the most during the dark.

We all know DRL comes from the headlight housing and is lower power / brightness. Has anyone confirmed that there isn't a separate LED in the projector itself that's dedicated for DRL mode or that it is in fact the same element? That's entirely possible, but I can't confirm it. If however that's the case it would eliminate the argument / lifespan concern.

It's also entirely possible it's the same LED at a lower brightness, or even a 3rd stage to the motorized reflector in the bowl to block more light at the same element brightness.

My point is arguing the viability and reliability of the design is a moot point and pure speculation until it is confirmed how the headlights are engineered and failures start happening,then determining the cause behind those failures.
It's highly unlikely from the design point of view squeezing multiple LED light sources into one projector housing. Not to mention Mazda uses 2 separate LED light sources on low beam and high beam for 2016(.5) CX-5 with LED headlights, but now for 2017 it gets consolidated into one. Cost reduction is more important than longevity. And the number of failures from 2016 CX-5 LED accent strip DRLs is alarming!

The only argument is that it doesn't look the way you want it to because you'd like it to look like a Bimmer with it's halos, and that's fine, but it doesn't make the design "wrong".
Some people may like this halos for good looking. But others may have serious concerns about the longevity of our LED headlights due to very expensive cost of replacement. This's definitely a bad design for US customers as Mazda put an unnecessary risk of high maintenance cost for something unnecessary and not required by regulation, not to mention the setup is disliked by many! Once you're out of warranty with a broken low beam due to overuse, you're out of luck! (boom08)

Personally I think I'm over the LED DRL fad. It was cool when Audi first came out with them and now every car maker is slapping them on to their cars it's not unique anymore. Luckily mazda still makes them look nice whereas some car manufacturer just stick them somewhere just to have this feature. Was nice and all when I had it in my mazda3 but it's not like not having them is a deal breaker. Even though I had it on my mazda3 I would much prefer it with low beam on as it filled out the accent light better that's why I don't mind it on the cx5. Honestly I felt the DRL on the mazda3 looked better than that of the u shape on the cx5 and 6, not a fan of the sad droopy eye look. People seem to be making a big fuss over this DRL issue. I know the main issue here is the low beams being on and people are worried about the longest of the LED but I people are jumping the gun just because some 2016 LED DRL failed. I've turned off mine on the cx5 just because I don't like having lights on during the day. Enjoying the car a lot tho.

Looks promising and looks like it has some inner parker lights on together with the halos or is it actually in Parker mode with tail lights on? Hmm. I need to wait till I see more on the roads before I'm able to catch one on the move conclusively or check one out at the dealers on my next service interval.

Parkers here are just the halo lights. The extra light under the halo works in conjunction with it to become DRLs.

Yesterday's one I was traveling behind it and saw no rear lights on (hence not on parkers). Then I overtook it from a set of lights and in the rear view mirror, I saw exactly the same as the above image.

Last edited:
i am a little disappointed with the LED DRL accent strips in the 17-18 CX5. They have notably much less power output than other DRLs you see on the market. During the day, they don't really stand out like other DRLs, and in sunlight, they almost have a yellowish tint to them almost as if they were halogens. At night though, they look incredible. I wonder if it's done like this intentionally for either longevity or because of the DRL/Turn signal laws here in the US. Perhaps if they made the LEDs too bright then it would wash out the turn signal--making it illegal unless they turn off the accent strip--which just really sucks on every level when car companies have to do this. In that case, I would take a dimmer DRL. However, other car manufacturers like mercedes worked around this by incorporating a bright LED turn signal either underneath or above the headlight.

i am a little disappointed with the LED DRL accent strips in the 17-18 CX5. They have notably much less power output than other DRLs you see on the market. During the day, they don't really stand out like other DRLs, and in sunlight, they almost have a yellowish tint to them almost as if they were halogens. At night though, they look incredible. I wonder if it's done like this intentionally for either longevity or because of the DRL/Turn signal laws here in the US. Perhaps if they made the LEDs too bright then it would wash out the turn signal--making it illegal unless they turn off the accent strip--which just really sucks on every level when car companies have to do this. In that case, I would take a dimmer DRL. However, other car manufacturers like mercedes worked around this by incorporating a bright LED turn signal either underneath or above the headlight.
If the LED signature accent strips on 2016(.5) CX-5 can be US legal DRLs without LED headlights, I simply don't see why Gen-2 CX-5 can't be set up the same way?

Glad our LEDs are fairly bright. Yes they are small but do the job

If the LED signature accent strips on 2016(.5) CX-5 can be US legal DRLs without LED headlights, I simply don't see why Gen-2 CX-5 can't be set up the same way?
I'm a true believer in DRLs, but I don't like the gen2 GT setup.
Someone once mentioned that the accent lights are not bright enough on gen2 to be good DRLs. Agreed. But why can't they be brighter?
To my eyes, the accents alone, but brighter, would be the perfect setup. Visible and unique.
The way it is now, the headlight DRLS are way too bright, dazzling in full sunlight, and they wash out the accents, so they just look bad. DRLs just need to be easily visible, they don't need to hurt your eyes from 50 yds.

Back