2017 CX-5 drl question

On mine, during the day, the halo around the headlight is lit, but not the headlight itself. If I turn the lights on during the day, the actual headlight inside the led halo comes on. My lights are set to auto.

asset.php

attachment.php

This is the correct way they should be working.

I'm fairly sure the tail lamps also act as "rear" DRLs as far as I've seen in the CX-9s due to it being LEDs but your headlight shouldn't be on in the Auto setting in daylight.

I've seen that too. But wonder if the CX-5 will be the same

I'm fairly sure the tail lamps also act as "rear" DRLs as far as I've seen in the CX-9s due to it being LEDs but your headlight shouldn't be on in the Auto setting in daylight.

Was watching this foreign review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcuUDMC2PBo and from 10:39-10:44 mark, you can see front DRLs working only and when the CX-5 passes by, the rear leds are also appear to be working (no number/licence plate lights on meaning it's not on low beams). Just like the CX-9

Hope Aussie CX-5 is like this.

Was watching this foreign review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcuUDMC2PBo and from 10:39-10:44 mark, you can see front DRLs working only and when the CX-5 passes by, the rear leds are also appear to be working (no number/licence plate lights on meaning it's not on low beams). Just like the CX-9

Hope Aussie CX-5 is like this.
Thanks for the link! Sure looks like there're "rear DRLs" in the video from Taiwan! I also saw one-touch auto up/down power window on all windows with illuminated switches and parking sensors hopefully we eventually will get these in the US:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also noticed there's no spare tire and different auto flip-up type Active Driving Display (HUD) on this top-of-line 2.2L diesel in Taiwan:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_9909.PNGIMG_9918.PNGIMG_9913.PNGIMG_9916.PNGIMG_9917.PNG

Is "all windows auto down" something common on new cars? I just don't see a pressing need for this. Most people, at least ime, don't drive around with all 4 windows down. *Fact. I know because I do...And I never see anyone else doing it. Napoleon Dynamite voice: Gah! I can't believe I have to push 4 buttons to roll my windows down! [emoji3]
Actually a pet peeves of mine. Live in Ohio. Weather finally breaks. Gets warm. What's the first thing many Ohioans do after freezing for 3 months? ROLL UP THE WINDOWS AND PUT THE AC ON. Drive me mad. 😴
I was annoyed that only one switch lights up at first, too. But after not having it for 4 months? Meh. Its a non issue now. I know where the switches are by feel. How many times do you actually need to look for those switches?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is "all windows auto down" something common on new cars? I just don't see a pressing need for this. Most people, at least ime, don't drive around with all 4 windows down. *Fact. I know because I do...And I never see anyone else doing it. Napoleon Dynamite voice: Gah! I can't believe I have to push 4 buttons to roll my windows down! [emoji3]
Actually a pet peeves of mine. Live in Ohio. Weather finally breaks. Gets warm. What's the first thing many Ohioans do after freezing for 3 months? ROLL UP THE WINDOWS AND PUT THE AC ON. Drive me mad. ��
I was annoyed that only one switch lights up at first, too. But after not having it for 4 months? Meh. Its a non issue now. I know where the switches are by feel. How many times do you actually need to look for those switches?

My current VW has all windows auto up/down (although is loses its memory all the time and doesn't work correctly). When my 2017 gets here this week its going to take awhile to get used to it, but whatever. Not a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the link! Sure looks like there're "rear DRLs" in the video from Taiwan! I also saw one-touch auto up/down power window on all windows with illuminated switches and parking sensors hopefully we eventually will get these in the US:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also noticed there's no spare tire and different auto flip-up type Active Driving Display (HUD) on this top-of-line 2.2L diesel in Taiwan:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216327View attachment 216328View attachment 216329View attachment 216330View attachment 216331

No problem!

DRL is on available on top 2 models. Bottom 3 don't have them

We have auto up and down windows here. Became standard across the range from this new model.

As for HUD, here pop up is on Touring. Windscreen HUD is on GT and Akera (2nd highest and top models). No HUD on base Sport or Maxx Sport

Is "all windows auto down" something common on new cars? I just don't see a pressing need for this.

When it's raining and you need to close all 4 windows quickly then it becomes a necessity

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wondering if any 2017 GT owners have noticed that with the headlights in auto mode and driving during the day the headlights are on with the drl. Can this be adjusted so only the drl is on?

I'm having the same symptoms with my 2017 GT that I just picked up... notice that the headlights are on all the time, even when it's set to 'Auto' for the lights... the rears do NOT light up though, so it's not the ambient light sensor, in that if it thought it was nighttime the rear lights would also turn on. I've played around with the various headlight settings with the car and nothing has seemed to change it. I actually had to travel a good distance to pickup the car, so I haven't brought it to the dealership to look at... was wondering if you (or anyone else) has any progress on this. I guess from a safety perspective it's not any worse, but I love the look of the DRL's on it that I hate that it mutes them during the day.

One question - Did you get a GT with or w/o the premium package. I just ask because mine is w/ premium... trying to determine if (not sure why it would make a difference) it's something with premium trim only.

I'm having the same symptoms with my 2017 GT that I just picked up... notice that the headlights are on all the time, even when it's set to 'Auto' for the lights... the rears do NOT light up though, so it's not the ambient light sensor, in that if it thought it was nighttime the rear lights would also turn on. I've played around with the various headlight settings with the car and nothing has seemed to change it. I actually had to travel a good distance to pickup the car, so I haven't brought it to the dealership to look at... was wondering if you (or anyone else) has any progress on this. I guess from a safety perspective it's not any worse, but I love the look of the DRL's on it that I hate that it mutes them during the day.

One question - Did you get a GT with or w/o the premium package. I just ask because mine is w/ premium... trying to determine if (not sure why it would make a difference) it's something with premium trim only.

Very strange. Try getting a local dealership to look at it. Re dimming of DRLs when headlights come on, that is normal.

Last edited:
Have you adjusted the sensitivity settings for auto lights to make sure they don't come on unless there isn't sufficient light?

Would you know if High means more sensitive and the headlight will turn on sooner (even when it's not that dark out there), while Low means less sensitive?

I've played with the setting before but it didn't seem to work as intended. And the fact the manual refers to the customization as "Timing" instead of "Sensitivity" makes me wonder if I've got it the wrong way.

Would you know if High means more sensitive and the headlight will turn on sooner (even when it's not that dark out there), while Low means less sensitive?

I've played with the setting before but it didn't seem to work as intended. And the fact the manual refers to the customization as "Timing" instead of "Sensitivity" makes me wonder if I've got it the wrong way.

Here is a screenshot regarding the settings from the USA/Canada/Mexico manual - page 618 or 9-14:

Capture.jpg

Basically dark means pretty much no natural light and street lights are on.

I took my car to a local dealer and they claimed that this was the way it's intended to work. They came to this conclusion by checking other CX-5's on the lot. They didn't seem interested in figuring out why this was setup in this weird manner and I was in a time crunch so I just took my car. I still feel there should be a setting that allows for only the drl portion in the GT's to be visible in daylight conditions. I'll have to try contacting Mazda corporate directly.

I did not get the premium package. I don't think that package would affect headlight behavior though.

I took my car to a local dealer and they claimed that this was the way it's intended to work. They came to this conclusion by checking other CX-5's on the lot. They didn't seem interested in figuring out why this was setup in this weird manner and I was in a time crunch so I just took my car. I still feel there should be a setting that allows for only the drl portion in the GT's to be visible in daylight conditions. I'll have to try contacting Mazda corporate directly.

I did not get the premium package. I don't think that package would affect headlight behavior though.
Visit another dealership and see if you can view another CX-5 DRL in action

Here is a screenshot regarding the settings from the USA/Canada/Mexico manual - page 618 or 9-14:

Capture.jpg

Basically dark means pretty much no natural light and street lights are on.

Thanks! This really helps. The version of the 2016.5 manual I've downloaded lists these options instead: "High/Med. High/Medium/Med. Low/Low", instead of using a Light...Dark scale.

Rgmz3, sorry for the distraction with my other question which is not specific to the 2017 model.

Hope you'll soon resolve your problem, very weird. (I even suspected at one point if you had the high beam activated inadvertently via the lever, overriding the headlight AUTO setting, but I'm probably wrong, even doing so shouldn't override the headlight's auto setting.)

Thanks! This really helps. The version of the 2016.5 manual I've downloaded lists these options instead: "High/Med. High/Medium/Med. Low/Low", instead of using a Light...Dark scale.
No problem!

Rgmz3 try and see if DRL works when headlights are in off mode. Technically they should.

No problem!

Rgmz3 try and see if DRL works when headlights are in off mode. Technically they should.

I have tried even in off mode the DRL with the headlights come on when driving anyway. The manual does say that the dealer can turn the drl off. I wonder what effect happens when they do this. Does it just turn the drl off and the headlights still come on or nothing comes on?

I have tried even in off mode the DRL with the headlights come on when driving anyway. The manual does say that the dealer can turn the drl off. I wonder what effect happens when they do this. Does it just turn the drl off and the headlights still come on or nothing comes on?

Since the DRLs come on when the light switch is off then the dealer has not turned it off.

I suspect there is an issue with the sensor or programming which causes your headlights to come on in auto mode regardless of the time of day or light conditions.

Contact Mazda HQ and see what they have to say

So, what exactly are you expecting with regards to the drl? The ring and row of lights that sweep back from the headlamp look to be parking lights. When my light dial is 'off', I don't have any lights on, on 'auto' all the lights are on except for the fogs but the headlamp is a lower intensity. On 'parking' the ring and the swept back lights are on. 'on' has all the lights. The drl is a dealer configurable setting, may have to ask

So, what exactly are you expecting with regards to the drl? The ring and row of lights that sweep back from the headlamp look to be parking lights. When my light dial is 'off', I don't have any lights on, on 'auto' all the lights are on except for the fogs but the headlamp is a lower intensity. On 'parking' the ring and the swept back lights are on. 'on' has all the lights. The drl is a dealer configurable setting, may have to ask

Having all lights on when auto is switched on during the day defeats the purpose of auto lights.

Basically unless the conditions are right to trigger the headlights to come on, you should just have DRL's running like this:

image.jpg

The USA brochure states DRL's are available:

002.jpg

The USA dealer(s) should have to have a good reason to turn them off. Otherwise what is the purpose of having them? Doesn't make any sense.

Back