Saw a 2017 CX-5 at the dealer today...

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Went in to talk about changing brake pads and rotors today (quoted 880 for all of it, brakes, fluid, rotors, labor).

Anyway, they had a CX5 on the showroom floor and I asked if it was a 2017 or left over. They said it was a 17 and I went and looked at it. I think they did a really nice job of the 2017. It is so similar to the 2016 that they won't lose any 2016 sales, and it's also enough of a shuffle-up that it gives buyers who want a "new new car" a few widgets and doodads to feel good about. The main thing that stood out to me was that it was like a 2016.5.5. It was obviously the same car, so much so that you probably can't tell them apart unless you are a fanatic, but it was also subtly improved once you really got up close and looked at it. I especially liked the seats, as they reminded me of my 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee. Very nice faux suede inserts, etc!

In short, I was impressed! Mazda did just enough to their best selling ride to keep CX5 fanatics happy, and not enough to make anyone who was considering a CX5 think anything's changed since they have not owned one previously. Subtle,nearly invisible improvements where it counts!

The previous model code was KE. The new is KF.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't really think much of the changes. The new bumper looks better than the 2016 bumper, but who cares unless you're looking to buy new of each for the same price? Then I'd obviously pick the 2017.

Mainly, I think there is no reason to get a 2017 if you already have a 2.5L previous model. It isn't like the C5 and C6 corvette, or the 2010 and 2011 Mustang GT, it's just a fluff and buff that came out really nicely. I thin Mazda did a solid there, as it in no way de-values previous KE models, but yet it still offers a bit of refinement. It's VERY Japanese like that. Think AP1 vs. AP2 S2000.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't really think much of the changes. The new bumper looks better than the 2016 bumper, but who cares unless you're looking to buy new of each for the same price? Then I'd obviously pick the 2017.

Mainly, I think there is no reason to get a 2017 if you already have a 2.5L previous model. It isn't like the C5 and C6 corvette, or the 2010 and 2011 Mustang GT, it's just a fluff and buff that came out really nicely.

Only reason - well mainly here in Australia would be the new one is much much quieter. All reviews have said the previous model had poor Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH).

Only reason - well mainly here in Australia would be the new one is much much quieter. All reviews have said the previous model had poor Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH).

The old one is noisy, but it's also "more of a driver's SUV", so it's EXACTLY like the AP1 vs. AP2 comment I made.

As has been stated, noone buys a Mazda because it's nice. They buy it because like me, they care about cheap and reliable, or like most others on this board, they care about "feels fast".

The old one is noisy, but it's also "more of a driver's SUV", so it's EXACTLY like the AP1 vs. AP2 comment I made.

As has been stated, noone buys a Mazda because it's nice. They buy it because like me, they care about cheap and reliable, or like most others on this board, they care about "feels fast".

Fair enough. Over head unfortunately Mazda is no classified as cheap anymore.

Fair enough. Over head unfortunately Mazda is no classified as cheap anymore.
I think it is. Oil changes and maintenance are absurdly affordable on this thing. Cheapest car I've owned to maintain. Also, no way in hell I'd buy a new Mazda. Buy lightly used and they are like $5k off normal retail, buy it with 1-2 years and 50K miles on it, and you can get it for HALF PRICE. Super cheap, especially given how reliable they are and how well they hold up.

I think it is. Oil changes and maintenance are absurdly affordable on this thing. Cheapest car I've owned to maintain. Also, no way in hell I'd buy a new Mazda. Buy lightly used and they are like $5k off normal retail, buy it with 1-2 years and 50K miles on it, and you can get it for HALF PRICE. Super cheap, especially given how reliable they are and how well they hold up.

Own and maintain, I agree with you. Fuel consumption also great meaning less $$$ being spend at the bowser.

Would I buy a new Mazda again? Yes (planning on 2017 CX-5) as I can select what I want for the car and when I sell it, I can still get more back rather than selling it as the second owner.

But each to their own :)

Own and maintain, I agree with you. Fuel consumption also great meaning less $$$ being spend at the bowser.

Would I buy a new Mazda again? Yes (planning on 2017 CX-5) as I can select what I want for the car and when I sell it, I can still get more back rather than selling it as the second owner.

But each to their own :)

You won't get anything back for a Mazda CUV. If you want something back, get a 4Runner or Tacoma, FJ or Grand Jeep Cherokee with the HEMI and QDII or something nice. Noone cares who owned it before you, how how many of them there were. I have a 2015 CX5 Touring 2.5AWD with 58K miles and was offered $13,800 or so for it the other day by the dealer. They go for about that at Auction. Glad I bought it used for $22K 30K miles and a year ago, because I'd have been devastated if I paid the sticker or near for it!

You won't get anything back for a Mazda CUV. If you want something back, get a 4Runner or Tacoma, FJ or Grand Jeep Cherokee with the HEMI and QDII or something nice. Noone cares who owned it before you, how how many of them there were. I have a 2015 CX5 Touring 2.5AWD with 58K miles and was offered $13,800 or so for it the other day by the dealer. They go for about that at Auction. Glad I bought it used for $22K 30K miles and a year ago, because I'd have been devastated if I paid the sticker or near for it!

Over here you will. CUV/SUVs are now the number one segment of cars sold here. Just overtook passenger cars. Lots of new buyers and also others looking for second hand.

The CX-5 holds its value well here on the 2nd hand market.

Over here you will. CUV/SUVs are now the number one segment of cars sold here. Just overtook passenger cars. Lots of new buyers and also others looking for second hand.

The CX-5 holds its value well here on the 2nd hand market.

Interesting. Well, that's good. I'd never buy new in this segment, though. I view it as a waste of money when you can buy a CPO of Fleet car for much less.

Fair enough :)

Basically a CUV to me is a coffee maker. It gets the job done, and a boring job it is...transport me, a few friends, and some shooting gear and body armor a few hundred miles. That is literally the most demanding thing I will ask of it. The least demanding is...transport me to work, and the gym, and the store, as cheaply as possible, in any weather condition. The CX-5 is about getting somewhere, regardless of the hubbub about this or that handling dynamic, it's far more boring to drive than even my Sentra SPEC-V was. It's a means of conveyance. Going premium on a coffee maker excites some people. I have a former roommate who is always asking me s*** like "Is this remote that bundles all my remotes "baller"?" "Don't you think this *shows me $300 gaming headphones, wireless* is nice?" and it's like...dude. Your hearing is as s*** as mine, I paid $50 for my headphones...it's kindof why I am one of the black sheep here. It's a CUV. I'm not impressed, or excited, except by what it DOESN'T do, which is break all the time or cause me a headache. That's why I like it...for what it's not.

+1
No you are not the only black sheep, problem is some people don't like facts. (dance)

Basically a CUV to me is a coffee maker. It gets the job done, and a boring job it is...transport me, a few friends, and some shooting gear and body armor a few hundred miles. That is literally the most demanding thing I will ask of it. The least demanding is...transport me to work, and the gym, and the store, as cheaply as possible, in any weather condition. The CX-5 is about getting somewhere, regardless of the hubbub about this or that handling dynamic, it's far more boring to drive than even my Sentra SPEC-V was. It's a means of conveyance. Going premium on a coffee maker excites some people. I have a former roommate who is always asking me s*** like "Is this remote that bundles all my remotes "baller"?" "Don't you think this *shows me $300 gaming headphones, wireless* is nice?" and it's like...dude. Your hearing is as s*** as mine, I paid $50 for my headphones...it's kindof why I am one of the black sheep here. It's a CUV. I'm not impressed, or excited, except by what it DOESN'T do, which is break all the time or cause me a headache. That's why I like it...for what it's not.

Wait, so you didn't get it for the 0-60 times and crazy mad tuning potential? Man this whip is 2FastTOOfurious!!! (rlaugh)(butt)

Saw a 207 CX5 at the dealer today...

Went in to talk about changing brake pads and rotors today (quoted 880 for all of it, brakes, fluid, rotors, labor).

Anyway, they had a CX5 on the showroom floor and I asked if it was a 2017 or left over. They said it was a 17 and I went and looked at it. I think they did a really nice job of the 2017. It is so similar to the 2016 that they won't lose any 2016 sales, and it's also enough of a shuffle-up that it gives buyers who want a "new new car" a few widgets and doodads to feel good about. The main thing that stood out to me was that it was like a 2016.5.5. It was obviously the same car, so much so that you probably can't tell them apart unless you are a fanatic, but it was also subtly improved once you really got up close and looked at it. I especially liked the seats, as they reminded me of my 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee. Very nice faux suede inserts, etc!

In short, I was impressed! Mazda did just enough to their best selling ride to keep CX5 fanatics happy, and not enough to make anyone who was considering a CX5 think anything's changed since they have not owned one previously. Subtle,nearly invisible improvements where it counts!
I know you usually don't buy a brand new car as a daily driver, but what you'll do right now if you're in the market getting a new CX-5? A 2017 CX-5 with a new skin, or a 2016.5 CX-5 for $4,000 ~ $5,000 off the list?

Shut the front door you have friends?:) I think you need a stint with a Nissan Rogue, a CR-V (hey Mongo) or a non-turbo Forester to see what boring REALLY feels like! Oh and tell your former roommate he just cracked me the f up today! Nissan SPEC-V- now that thing was baller! Haha I kid- kind of fun-ish pos to beat on but yeah dude you still can't compare a 2800# sporty econobox with a manual and roughly equivalent power to a CX-5 when it comes to driving entertainment. The CX-5 is a practical, affordable, good to drive CUV that won't make you feel like you sold your soul- for me as a daily driver that's really all I ask.

Last edited:

Excellent points. In the future we'll be shopping for a used gen2 CX-5...or maybe CX-9? Excellent bargains as used cars. The fact that I'm familiar with what to look for (known weaknesses, TSBs, easy DIY maintence, ect.) is a huge plus. That said there's some things I have to work against:

- Used pre-2013 Mazdas sell well in my region. My dealership for instance has 3-4 used CX-5's on their lot. Everything else is new 2016.5 and 2017 stock.

- CPO Mazdas retain their value well in my region. Gonna have to play hardball with dealers. A benefit though is that 7-year powertrain warranty.

Back