2016 GT Parchment Leather Problem

:
2024 Mazda CX-5 Turbo Signature
Has anyone had a problem with the parchment leather interior on their 2016 GT "turning" for want of a better word? I'm incredibly careful with mine, it gets wiped down with Lexol cleaner every 1-2 weeks and I use the Lexol conditioner every month or two. The driver's seat is yellowing and what started out as a matte finish is now very glossy. It's not the Lexol as all of the other seats are fine. Pretty sure it's not dirt as I don't eat or drink in the car and I never get into it with dirty clothes on, plus it's not confined to certain areas of the seat. The whole thing is exhibiting the same yellowing / shiny symptoms. I've tried other cleaners too but the yellowing seems to be permanent. I'll try to get some pics in daylight tomorrow, but I'm curious if others have experienced a similar problem.

I never used anything but, a mild soap & water on my CX7 and it looks like new. By chance are you soaking the leather with the cleaner or conditioner?

I never used anything but, a mild soap & water on my CX7 and it looks like new. By chance are you soaking the leather with the cleaner or conditioner?

No, I use it very sparingly and wipe the seats dry with a soft microfiber once the conditioner has sat for a couple of minutes. If it was a problem with the cleaning regimen then I would expect all of the seats to exhibit the same problem, but it's only the driver's seat that's yellowing and glossy. It's as though the coating has failed or something.

Has anyone had a problem with the parchment leather interior on their 2016 GT "turning" for want of a better word? I'm incredibly careful with mine, it gets wiped down with Lexol cleaner every 1-2 weeks and I use the Lexol conditioner every month or two. The driver's seat is yellowing and what started out as a matte finish is now very glossy. It's not the Lexol as all of the other seats are fine. Pretty sure it's not dirt as I don't eat or drink in the car and I never get into it with dirty clothes on, plus it's not confined to certain areas of the seat. The whole thing is exhibiting the same yellowing / shiny symptoms. I've tried other cleaners too but the yellowing seems to be permanent. I'll try to get some pics in daylight tomorrow, but I'm curious if others have experienced a similar problem.
Maybe it's the combination of the Lexol and wear and tear/abrasion which the other seats don't get as much of?

Maybe it's the combination of the Lexol and wear and tear/abrasion which the other seats don't get as much of?

I honestly don't think it's that. I follow the same routine with my wife's car (2016 Mazda 6 GT with the same parchment interior) and that car sees far more abuse from our 11 year old. All of the seats look brand new. It's just one seat in one of the two cars which makes me wonder if it's a coating issue.

I know you say you always wear clean clothes, but sweat stains maybe?

Given the frequency of cleaning that seems unlikely, and I don't think it would explain the glossy surface that this one seat has versus the matte surface on all of the other seats (open to being corrected on that though). Plus the yellowing and glossy finish is affecting the whole seat. If it was contact stains then I'd expect it to be localized. I've tried Lexol, Leather Masters, Mother's and Meguiar's cleaners and the yellowing doesn't budge with any of them. If it was a stain then I'd expect at least minimal improvement somewhere on the seat. I should also note that I've had light leather interiors on my previous 2 cars - Infiniti and BMW - with the same cleaning regimen and zero problems.

Maybe I'll have the dealership check it out in case it's the coating failing.

Hmm, seems like you have your bases covered with it not being a stain. It'd be interesting to see what the dealer said for the helluvit. I don't know, maybe you're onto something with the coating issue.

Given the frequency of cleaning that seems unlikely, and I don't think it would explain the glossy surface that this one seat has versus the matte surface on all of the other seats (open to being corrected on that though). Plus the yellowing and glossy finish is affecting the whole seat. If it was contact stains then I'd expect it to be localized. I've tried Lexol, Leather Masters, Mother's and Meguiar's cleaners and the yellowing doesn't budge with any of them. If it was a stain then I'd expect at least minimal improvement somewhere on the seat. I should also note that I've had light leather interiors on my previous 2 cars - Infiniti and BMW - with the same cleaning regimen and zero problems.

Maybe I'll have the dealership check it out in case it's the coating failing.

Did you ever go the dealer? How are things going today?

Thanks!

Speedie95, consult a professional detailer. Wiping and conditioning your seats does not clean them. Talk to experts on how to clean the seats first. I use a leather cleaner with a good quality horse hair brush followed by a conditioning product. I use Perrone products but I'm sure there are others that are good.

NONE of the seats in any of the CX5's are true leather. They are a hybrid version with some leather, some vinyl and some other synthetic materials.

I have the parchment on my 2016 GT and while it looked classy, it required more work as white seats are always harder to keep clean. The drivers seat did start to darken with time even though I would be careful about it. I switched back to black on the 2017. White does look better but it requires more work and can darken over time.

Let's see some pics...

Back