The HUD display in the 2017.

The Tacho is useless imho. It came as a default with my M4, I prefer speedo.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I'm thinking it would get cluttered with the tach on there. There's a nice big one on the dash for those rare timed runs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking it would get cluttered with the tach on there. There's a nice big one on the dash for those rare timed runs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. If tacho was there, this is what would be shown (scratch):

1. Speedo
  2. Tacho
  3. BSM
  4. TSR
  5. Radar Cruise Control details

Could be information overload

Nope. Moving parts is a bad thing. Its cool, but the more moving parts you have the more things can break on the system. Right there I'm seeing the door that opens....one. The flip up display.....two. And obviously the projector......three. Now have that move at minimum 2 times per drive (There and back home.) x 365 days x 4 years. That is just shy of 3,000 times that door opens and closes, the screen flips up.

Nope.

Unless I missed something else you were talking about... huh? Theres no moving parts in the 2017 CX5 HUD.

Unless I missed something else you were talking about... huh? Theres no moving parts in the 2017 CX5 HUD.

That was in reference to the loaner I had with BMWs HUD installed. The version in the video is of their "lesser" version that has a reflective glass mechanically raise out of the dash above the instrument cluster.

The CX5 uses the method I think most of us prefer, reflecting onto the windshield.

That was in reference to the loaner I had with BMWs HUD installed. The version in the video is of their "lesser" version that has a reflective glass mechanically raise out of the dash above the instrument cluster.

The CX5 uses the method I think most of us prefer, reflecting onto the windshield.

Much easier to do I believe

Information overload perhaps (scratch) Or their is more important stuff to be shown than the tachometer

Removal of the tach was more of a safety issue which Mazda have said could be "distracting" while driving based on a TSB so the next version of firmware on the infotainment unit when downloaded and installed had the tach removed. I have the 2017 CX9 and when I got it the firmware was already updated...personally I found tach useless/distracting and when I testdrove the 2016s with the tach, I just disabled it.

Removal of the tach was more of a safety issue which Mazda have said could be "distracting" while driving based on a TSB so the next version of firmware on the infotainment unit when downloaded and installed had the tach removed. I have the 2017 CX9 and when I got it the firmware was already updated...personally I found tach useless/distracting and when I testdrove the 2016s with the tach, I just disabled it.

"Distracting" (scratch) How would having a tacho in the HUD be this? Information overload is one thing.

"Distracting" (scratch) How would having a tacho in the HUD be this? Information overload is one thing.

Ask Mazda they were the ones who issued the TSB...I do however agree with the possible distraction as the driver could be watching the movement of the tachometer rather than driving. Originally what was displayed was the speedo, tach and the gear afterwards they changed it to just the speedo while all other info appeared when necessary (BSM, LDW, Nav, speed limit, etc)

Ask Mazda they were the ones who issued the TSB...I do however agree with the possible distraction as the driver could be watching the movement of the tachometer rather than driving. Originally what was displayed was the speedo, tach and the gear afterwards they changed it to just the speedo while all other info appeared when necessary (BSM, LDW, Nav, speed limit, etc)

Fair enough

They could make the tach only appear when in sport mode. I don't think it's information overload personally.

In case anyone is still wondering about polarized sunglasses, I have a 2017 CX-5 and two pairs of polarized sunglasses. One pair totally blocks out the HUD, the other pair just dims it. Until I wore the pair that blocks it, I didn't realize how quickly I've come to rely on the HUD.

In case anyone is still wondering about polarized sunglasses, I have a 2017 CX-5 and two pairs of polarized sunglasses. One pair totally blocks out the HUD, the other pair just dims it. Until I wore the pair that blocks it, I didn't realize how quickly I've come to rely on the HUD.

So sunglasses that have a lower polorisation can still see the HUD. Good to know :)

So sunglasses that have a lower polorisation can still see the HUD. Good to know :)

Definitely. I too have polarized sunglasses. They dim the HUD and depending on the angle from your eyes to the HUD. But, you can also always set the HUD to manual brightness and adjust the brightness if your polarized glasses just dim it.

I have prescription sunglasses that are polarized and they block out the HUD even when it's set to its highest brightness. I can however turn my head to the side and it's marginally readable. I ended up getting non-polarized clip-ons that I use with my regular glasses. They work well and in fact since they're amber/copper colored then tend to enhance the HUD and make it stand out more.

Polarization is dependent on the orientation of the lens to the incoming light, polarized glasses should be set up to allow "vertical" transmission, blocking light that's polarized horizontally, since that's the polarization of most reflected light/glare. The HUD, since it's reflected off the windshield, seems to have mostly horizontal polarization. Maybe some polarized lenses aren't in exactly the vertical position in the frame allowing more of the HUD light.

Was wondering if any of you new CX5 owners have it in your infotainment system/HUD the visual/audible warning when you are driving above the speed limit and if you are passing a red-light/speed camera (Nav based of course) that it also gives you an audible warning...just curious

Back