The HUD display in the 2017.

Here's a piccie of the HUD projector if anyone is interested. I'm guessing it'll get good and dusty down there....

b530f1fe0963245329ff5400bdca3a7e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any thoughts of keeping it covered when garaged? My CX-5 can spend 4 days in the garage without being moved. Wife and I carpool to work each day (we work in the same office).

There is a reason my 3 year old CX-5 only has 13,800 miles...

Any thoughts of keeping it covered when garaged? My CX-5 can spend 4 days in the garage without being moved. Wife and I carpool to work each day (we work in the same office).

There is a reason my 3 year old CX-5 only has 13,800 miles...

Does you garage create lots of dust that can cover your car? Does it allow grim to enter from the outside?

If no is the answer then probably no reason to keep it covered.

Does you garage create lots of dust that can cover your car? Does it allow grim to enter from the outside?

If no is the answer then probably no reason to keep it covered.

Bare concrete floor and the salt/sand applied heavily to our winter roads gets tracked into the garage pretty easily. Even in a closed car the dash will get dusty within a week. Now we have the trees pollinating so a car left outside will get grimy in a day.

Bare concrete floor and the salt/sand applied heavily to our winter roads gets tracked into the garage pretty easily. Even in a closed car the dash will get dusty within a week. Now we have the trees pollinating so a car left outside will get grimy in a day.

In that case, probably best to get one

So...You're going to screw around covering a big ass car every few days...To keep dust off your HUD? Hell, covering a normal car is a pain in the ass. You...Might be OCD. LOL 😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This entire thread has evolved into a rather scary display of OCD. 36 micro cloths? Covering the HUD of a garaged car? First world problems indeed...

If the HUD aka dashboard needs covering, just one cloth of some sort should be enough.

You will NEVER notice this on the HUD due to the brightness and resolution on there. Example. I have a 1080p home projector system with a 120" screen. There is dust on the lens but you never see it on the screen because of the brightness and size.

I had my Mazda3 with its cheap plastic HUD. Used the same concept where it was projected on the HUD screen. In 8 months of use 6 months of which the windows were rolled down and 20K miles put on the thing there was no detectable difference with dust accumulation.

The only time you would notice is if you get debris, not dust in the area. Leaf particles, dust bunnies, etc.

You will NEVER notice this on the HUD due to the brightness and resolution on there. Example. I have a 1080p home projector system with a 120" screen. There is dust on the lens but you never see it on the screen because of the brightness and size.

I had my Mazda3 with its cheap plastic HUD. Used the same concept where it was projected on the HUD screen. In 8 months of use 6 months of which the windows were rolled down and 20K miles put on the thing there was no detectable difference with dust accumulation.

The only time you would notice is if you get debris, not dust in the area. Leaf particles, dust bunnies, etc.

Correct. If dust affected the hud display, it would be a useless feature.

I like the Mazda system better.

While my car is in for services, here is my loaner, the 2 series active tourer with HUD.

https://youtu.be/PFA8O4S2ubk

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Nope. Moving parts is a bad thing. Its cool, but the more moving parts you have the more things can break on the system. Right there I'm seeing the door that opens....one. The flip up display.....two. And obviously the projector......three. Now have that move at minimum 2 times per drive (There and back home.) x 365 days x 4 years. That is just shy of 3,000 times that door opens and closes, the screen flips up.

Nope.

Nope. Moving parts is a bad thing. Its cool, but the more moving parts you have the more things can break on the system. Right there I'm seeing the door that opens....one. The flip up display.....two. And obviously the projector......three. Now have that move at minimum 2 times per drive (There and back home.) x 365 days x 4 years. That is just shy of 3,000 times that door opens and closes, the screen flips up.

Nope.

Based off personal experience, I'd trust Mazda's electronics over BMW's.

Based off personal experience, I'd trust Mazda's electronics over BMW's.

My e90 that I drove for 8 years disagrees.

I also have our third CX-5 on the way, so I think I can be objective about either brand.

My e90 that I drove for 8 years disagrees.

I also have our third CX-5 on the way, so I think I can be objective about either brand.

I'm having flashbacks of blown final stage resistors, (AC Unit), failed power window regulators thus telling passengers DO not open the window since it may not come back up :(, tailight bulbs going out randomly, and aftermarket stereo system support was a bit harder to install. Mechanically the BMW was legit no issues there.

I think I took an appreciation to Mazda's electronics after taking the CX-5 apart and installing sound deadening materials. I like the way they engineered wiring and it was very aftermarket friendly. For instance the engine firewall boot has a nipple intended to be cut in the event you wanted to run a 4 or 0 gauge power wire from your amp to the cool looking OEM distribution block located next to the battery. All the plastic panels and how they are removed and refitted had sound logic behind it them well. Makes for an easier, professional looking, and clean install for us DIYers. I guess a good analogy is the manner in which you replace the cabin filters. The Mazda's is super easy. The BMW's and VW's process were more involved.

I don't do any of my own work on these. Back in my "leaner" days I did what I could myself, but still limited myself to jobs >1hr. Anything beyond that, I had no business doing. [emoji23]

Getting back to the HUD. I was kinda disappointed that the CX-5 didn't have the tachometer on the CX-5 like they did with the CX-9, then I found out that Mazda removed it from the CX-9 in an update. I wonder why.

Getting back to the HUD. I was kinda disappointed that the CX-5 didn't have the tachometer on the CX-5 like they did with the CX-9, then I found out that Mazda removed it from the CX-9 in an update. I wonder why.

I would speculate the tachometer is relatively useless, especially on the HUD... I mean you can't even buy a manual '17, so I doubt anyone is too concerned with their RPM. I find the HUD absolutely fantastic with the information it does display... kind of glad they keep it relevant to the driving experience.

Information overload perhaps (scratch) Or their is more important stuff to be shown than the tachometer

Back