The HUD display in the 2017.

This was posted in the pics thread, I think this belongs here.

attachment.php

Wonder if it's visible from outside the vehicle looking in...
It's not. Other passengers in the car won't be able to see it either. In fact, I've had folks who were too short or too tall not see it until we adjusted it for them. It's very unintrusive. I love it.

It's not. Other passengers in the car won't be able to see it either. In fact, I've had folks who were too short or too tall not see it until we adjusted it for them. It's very unintrusive. I love it.
Thanks for the clarification

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

You're correct, the way it's projected it looks like it's floating over the hood of your car. It's nothing like those "aftermarket" solutions or where people put phones on their dashboards and it reflects on the windshield.

It's definitely strange at first, but doesn't take long to get used to it. For the first 10 mins it was almost a distraction, now I can't imagine living without it!

Passengers cannot see it. Even someone in the back seat behind the driver will have a hard time positioning themselves to see it. It's only visible to a narrow field of view, so basically just the drier's eyes.

You're correct, the way it's projected it looks like it's floating over the hood of your car. It's nothing like those "aftermarket" solutions or where people put phones on their dashboards and it reflects on the windshield.

It's definitely strange at first, but doesn't take long to get used to it. For the first 10 mins it was almost a distraction, now I can't imagine living without it!

Passengers cannot see it. Even someone in the back seat behind the driver will have a hard time positioning themselves to see it. It's only visible to a narrow field of view, so basically just the drier's eyes.
Primarily designed for the driver

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Another dumb question - if you manually dim the instrument cluster illumination all the way, does the HUD dim too? Would be eerie to be in a totally dark car with nothing but the HUD visible.

The workshop manual has a good write up......

View attachment 216297

Just realized in the first post of this thread Mattyredsox already pointed out the HUD image is somewhere at the front of the hood, so my "observation" yesterday is no news.

Also, the workshop manual posted earlier by Anchorman explains it all, including design details (image is purposely placed about 2.6 meters from driver's eyes) as well as the rationale behind (so that user can more easily adjust his vision, eye focusing I believe, between the road and the display).

Thanks again for sharing the manual. Very cool design!

(p.9 of workshop manual, on HUD Construction)
Windshield type
The active driving display consists of a display device which produces the display content and emits the content
over a light beam, a plane mirror which reflects the light beam emitted from the display device, a concave mirror
which emits the light beam from the plane mirror to the windshield and enhances the display, a motor which
changes the tilt of the concave mirror, and a photo sensor which detects the brightness of the driving condition.
The time in which the driver's line of vision changes from the view at the front of the vehicle to the view of the
information reflected on the windshield has been shortened by displaying the information within the forward visual
range of the driver.
The image reflected in the windshield is positioned virtually approx. 2.6 m forward of the eye point. As a result,
the eye point adjustment time in which the driver's line of vision changes from the view at the front of the vehicle
to the view of the information reflected in the windshield has been reduced.

Another dumb question - if you manually dim the instrument cluster illumination all the way, does the HUD dim too? Would be eerie to be in a totally dark car with nothing but the HUD visible.

My experience is that they are independent of each other.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Nope it doesn't.

EDIT: Hmm I'll have to check and see on my way home tonight. I just realize I have mine set to manual. The automatic is WAY too dim when you are wearing polarized sunglasses. Its the one big annoymance. I have to manually dim it at night and in the morning. Its possible with automatic it does change when you manually change the instrument illumination.

Last edited:
Here's a piccie of the HUD projector if anyone is interested. I'm guessing it'll get good and dusty down there....

b530f1fe0963245329ff5400bdca3a7e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a piccie of the HUD projector if anyone is interested. I'm guessing it'll get good and dusty down there....

b530f1fe0963245329ff5400bdca3a7e.jpg

They do! I have microfiber cloths in the car for dusting.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Probably would have to clean the dash including that area about once a week!

It's like every time I go to costco, one of those giant packets of yellow microfiber towels somehow finds its way into my cart. :)

It's like every time I go to costco, one of those giant packets of yellow microfiber towels somehow finds its way into my cart. :)

OCD for sure! I just ordered ANOTHER Roomba from Costco as they've got it for $35 off (I know, I have a problem)....wonder if I can set it to work in the Mazda...?

Back