heavy clutch

asterix

:
Protege5, duh
Is there anything I can ask my mechanic to do for a heavy clutch? I really didn't notice the issue until I was in France last week and they gave me this little Peugeot 108, and then I came back and got in the the P5, and merde it was about thousand times more difficult to push the pedal down. And I was wondering why my left calf was looking all buff, while the right-one resembled a chicken... I assume this happened slowly over the 15 years I've had the car so I haven't noticed. I don't feel any slipping when changing gears so I don't want to "spring" for a new clutch. Thanks

Is there anything I can ask my mechanic to do for a heavy clutch? I really didn't notice the issue until I was in France last week and they gave me this little Peugeot 108, and then I came back and got in the the P5, and merde it was about thousand times more difficult to push the pedal down. And I was wondering why my left calf was looking all buff, while the right-one resembled a chicken... I assume this happened slowly over the 15 years I've had the car so I haven't noticed. I don't feel any slipping when changing gears so I don't want to "spring" for a new clutch. Thanks

Short answer: No, it's hydraulic.

Long Answer: Yes, add a force multiplier to the circuit.

Some pressure plates are lighter than others. The Exedy kit that I installed is a little easier to push than the clutch that it replaced.

If you have installed a high performance clutch, the downside to more holding pressure is a heavier pedal.

Mine is stock. A quick search seems to indicate that changing the manual fluid is controversial. I have never done it.

Flush your clutch fluid...
My clutch felt so much smoother and easier to push after I flushed it that I thought I broke something.
It made a big difference for me.

After driving my moms 400HP Camaro around for a week when I was visiting on vacation, I came back and thought my master or slave had a leak because it was so easy to push to the floor. Took me a week to get used to it again.

Back