2.5L Engine Break In Period?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
I'll be taking delivery of a 2016.5 GT AWD next week and was just wondering if there are any special break in dos and don'ts for the 2.5L engine.

Thanks!

Straight from the horse's mouth (page 3-41 of the owner's manual):

No special break-in is necessary, but a few
precautions in the first 1,000 km (600
miles) may add to the performance,
economy, and life of your Mazda.
Do not race the engine.
Do not maintain one constant speed,
either slow or fast, for a long period of
time.
Do not drive constantly at full-throttle
or high engine rpm for extended
periods of time.
Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
Avoid full-throttle starts.
Do not tow a trailer.

miles) may add to the performance,
Do not race the engine.
time.
periods of time.
Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
Do not tow a trailer.

Perfect thanks, I don't have the manual yet, nice to know it's in there. I wonder what they consider "for a long period of time"....I'm planning a trip that's 2.5 - 3 hours away on the highway sometime during the first 600 miles. Hopefully that doesn't hurt it.

Perfect thanks, I don't have the manual yet, nice to know it's in there. I wonder what they consider "for a long period of time"....I'm planning a trip that's 2.5 - 3 hours away on the highway sometime during the first 600 miles. Hopefully that doesn't hurt it.

Personally, I'd forget you have cruise control for these 600 miles. Varying rpm's during break-in is desirable. If you can, find a route for your trip that's non Interstate/Freeway. IMHO non freeway routes are more fun anyway. If you do take the freeway, vary your rpm's periodically just by shifting from 6th to 5th for example. Enjoy your new ride when you get it!

I usually treat my engines, drive-line etc as fully broken in at about 5,000 mile or the first recommended oil change. This is usually backuped by UOAs as the point where the break-in wear values are heading down significantly. I'm sure that by 600 miles most of the worst wear-in is completed and only polishing and burnishing remains. Ed

I bought mine in San Diego and drove it home to Northern Calif. When I arrived it had 635 miles on the clock and was therefore broken in. BTW, you can access all manner of Mazda support material (including your owner's manual) online here: https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/how-to-use-my-mazda

Personally, I'd forget you have cruise control for these 600 miles. Varying rpm's during break-in is desirable. If you can, find a route for your trip that's non Interstate/Freeway. IMHO non freeway routes are more fun anyway. If you do take the freeway, vary your rpm's periodically just by shifting from 6th to 5th for example. Enjoy your new ride when you get it!
Yes, during the break in period, it is important to vary the load and the RPM. Probably the worst thing you can do besides entering a race and racing the motor, is to get on the freeway and drive for 600 miles at the same RPM.

Last edited:
Yes, during the break in period, it is important to vary the load and the RPM. Probably the worst thing you can do besides entering a race and racing the motor, is to get on the freeway and drive for 600 miles at the same RPM.
Agreed, and it's also said in the owner's manual:

Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.

Like erhayes, I also treat my new cars as fully broken in at about 5,000 miles and make the first oil change at that time too.

I noticed a large change in my Skyactiv after about 10,000 miles, especially with transmission shift quality and behavior. Also, the brakes were marginal until around 1,000 miles - so be careful - I actually slid through an intersection with the brakes not locking up at around 200 miles on the odometer. Enjoy!

Also a good idea to check the oil level during the first few thousand miles to track any consumption during break-in.

I bought mine in San Diego and drove it home to Northern Calif. When I arrived it had 635 miles on the clock and was therefore broken in. BTW, you can access all manner of Mazda support material (including your owner's manual) online here: https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/how-to-use-my-mazda

Once leased an Accord I picked up in Phoenix, drove it off the lot, drove it straight to San Diego with plenty redlining on the way. Not to mention the steep mountains. Did about 114mph at one point. Would not do this to a purchased vehicle though.

I noticed a large change in my Skyactiv after about 10,000 miles, especially with transmission shift quality and behavior. Also, the brakes were marginal until around 1,000 miles - so be careful - I actually slid through an intersection with the brakes not locking up at around 200 miles on the odometer. Enjoy!

A change for the better I hope?

Also, the brakes were marginal until around 1,000 miles - so be careful - I actually slid through an intersection with the brakes not locking up at around 200 miles on the odometer. Enjoy!

Ummm..

That's called ABS... Your brakes shouldn't lock up...

Are your brakes locking up now? If so, your car is broken.

miles) WILLadd to the performance,
Do not race the engine.
time.
periods of time.
Do not tow a trailer.

I would recommend adhering to these rules for the first 5000KM.

I did many full throttle pulls after 3000KM assuming the break in process was done, and I burn a little-bit of oil. I recommend waiting until 4-5000KM to be safe.

Perhaps this number (many) was the reason you had the issue.

Normally 1000km is more than enough.

I agree with GJ-molester on this. While 600 miles is probably the miles at which it is difficult to do any damage, UOAs suggest that it takes ~ 4-5,000 miles for the wear values for Iron, Aluminum and Copper to level off. Ed

I agree with GJ-molester on this. While 600 miles is probably the miles at which it is difficult to do any damage, UOAs suggest that it takes ~ 4-5,000 miles for the wear values for Iron, Aluminum and Copper to level off. Ed

Correct. Once these metal wear rates level off, that means your engine is fully 100% finished the break in process and this is ideally when you want to do your first oil change to get the metal shavings out of your oil filter.

Back