Dumb to get bone stock 2017 and add leather/heated seats and big boy wheels?

yaletownguy

:
Golf R
What do you guys think of this? I'd like a manual (Canada), but my only choice is bone stock with no options and FWD. The only option the wife really cares about is having leather/heated seats (apart from the tech/safety package), which I can add on aftermarket (~CAD$2,500). I don't think I could stand to look at the steelies, plus I'd have to get some real snow tires to make up for the lack of AWD. I was thinking I'd pick a used set of 19s up from the <2017s off the forum to run as summers.

Am I completely off my rocker to try and put a Frankenstein together or should I just suck it up and get the 2017 GT (I don't like the 2016s enough to pull the trigger) with Tech and never look back (at least until I have to postpone my retirement!)?

Thoughts??

PS: I posted over at VWVortex, but my dealer called on Friday to say that pre-orders were being taken on the 2018 Alltrack with a full manual option. That's very, very tempting, but I think the wife will like the appeal of the CX-5 regardless of stick. Anyone here have any insight as to the possibility of an expanded manual option on the 2018 CX-5s? I know they just gave birth to the 2017s, and I suspect they are going in the opposite direction re: manual, but would LOVE to be able to order a manual with some options.

Last edited:
"Is it dumb to get exactly what I want?"

No.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

*waves to fellow Vancouverite*

Ordinarily I would say that you should have the exact car you want, so getting the manual and adding leather/tires would be the way to go; however, my experience so far in Van leads me to believe the safety features of the Tech package will come in very handy on a day-to-day basis(!), and Tech is only available on the GT model. If you play in the mountains you may want to go ahead and spring for the AWD as well. Probably for me the GT's safety features would win out.

Thanks for the quick responses! Ugh. You're both right, but my fellow YVRer has hit the nail on the head. We'd be using this to get to Whistler, etc. and it's hard to argue with the peace of mind of AWD. And I have the safety stuff on my VW, which I swore I would disable and never use...but now I love all that stuff.

So the base isn't really want I want as it's missing AWD and the safety stuff. Rumour has it the CX3 is getting a stick for 2018...anyone hear any squawking from a birdie re: an expansion of the stick option for the CX5? Maybe to compete with things like the Alltrack? A long shot, I know, but it's so close with it already being offered on the FWD...and VW didn't launch their Sportwagen (nor did Mazda it sounds like with the CX3) with a stick to start!

It's not hard to argue against AWD. FWD + Snows are pretty formidable. 😀 I may not know what mountain life is like but I'm no stranger to winter. The best car I've ever had in Winter was my FWD Saab convertible with snow tires. Up til now anyway. I did get an AWD CX-5 and might put snows on it next year. I'm sure that's going to be awesome.
I'll defer to you mountain living Canadians. Plus I'm not familiar with your options.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree we'd be better off--safety wise--with full snows and FWD than all-seasons and AWD. One of the reason I wanted the safety tech stuff is that my kid will be driving in a few years, but I suspect we'll see some drastic changes to the technology by then, so maybe if we go without now, we can upgrade when the kid is driving (and we're getting more senile ourselves). But I suspect in 4 or 5 years, no one will want a stick with no technology so the resale will be terrible. Hmmm. Maybe we'll see if we can test drive both and then see how much more "fun" the stick would be for the daily commute (I'm sure both a blessing and a curse for daily driving!).

The autos do have that "fake" manual shifter if it's any consolation and it would be easier/cheaper to install paddles than new seats. <shrug>

I started running Blizzaks this last winter and won't go back during the winter. One advantage of having AWD in my area is this also gives you a waiver in mountain passes to not install chains. The same cannot be said for RWD or FWD even with snow/winter tires. When chains are required in passes those cars even with the best snow tires have to comply with this legal requirement.

I am a MANUAL TRANS BIASED driver also. Of the near 30 cars I have owned, more than 75% of them were manual trans vehicles.

Of all of the AUTO trans cars I have ever had the chance to own or test drive, the current Skyactiv 6AT is the best.

Between the Manual mode and Sport Mode, you effectively have 4 different drive modes available.

It's direct drive feeling honestly makes me forget about the slush-o-matics of the past.

So even though I am still MAN trans biased, my left foot has never yearned whilst driving our AUTOMATIC CX-5's.
(Note: We did add PADDLE SHIFTERS to ours.)

You give the left paddle 2 taps to downshift a few gears, and stab the throttle. No need to move your right hand off the wheel to shift, no need to lift your left foot on and off the clutch.(encourage)

Last edited:
If you feel slighted with a base model, consider that a manual 2017 CX-5, especially with superior Katzkin leather will be one of the most exclusive CX-5's in North America!

My opinion here is to get the AWD GT. Like Mazdadude I've always had at least one manual in the garage until very recently and I do miss and will go back to having one sooner rather than later. Reasons I say GT are many: safety, AWD definitely helps- I still use snows for added peace of mind btw, resale, the sky 6AT is really good (I row it frequently also.) I drove a 2.5 3gt stick expecting to be relatively wowed and was kinda meh so other than being unique I don't see much upside in your scheme. The alltrack is interesting and would be my choice you were hellbent on stick although I tend to hate vdub manuals- original golf R being the exception..been in but haven't driven current gen. If you don't care about resale and like the idea of a hobby/project car- FWD manual CX-5 could be fun though I guess.. Wait- lightly used manual golf R with an awesome warranty? Why the hell not? I literally just saw that you already drive one apparently haha you're welcome! Get the GT- I prefer the 16.5 but that's just me.

Last edited:
I just don't see the point of the manual when it's only offered at the very base trim without even having AWD and you are in fact sacrificing many other features to have it.

But could be that having the manual is more important to you then having the other features, in which case, go for it.

Really appreciate all the helpful insight. You folks have convinced me that it's either the 2018 VW Alltrack (manual) or the 2017 GT.

I've never been a VW guy. In fact, VW never even crossed my radar screen--until a kid at work mentioned the R and I started reading about it. As my wife says, I usually have buyer's remorse before I even sign the paperwork, but the R has been one of the most fun cars I've ever owned...and why the Alltrack is now on my list.

The only other thing I'm thinking about--and it's a "pretty" minor consideration--is whether the 2017 GT may age more poorly than the Alltrack, because it's just so darn pretty now, whereas the Alltrack is pretty darn plain. I'm thinking the GT may show it's age when Mazda updates the GT, as it will likely be a more radical update than the Alltrack ever will be. Again, just a minor consideration, and I'm hoping the test drive will make the choice obvious (I'm probably the odd man out, as I've always bought my cars on "paper"...ie, before test driving them).

You could wait for the 2018s to debut in the early fall a few months away. Because the 2017 debuted so late in the model year, very little will probably change for 2018. Maybe an additional color or minor things.

Auto makers like to bundle many features together into trim levels and option packages. Picking and choosing exactly which individual features you want cannot be done. The U.S. CX-5 has three trim levels. I dont know what the Canadian CX-5 trim levels are. Any vehicle that you consider, the same thing inevitably occurs concerning features: Some features that you want will be placed in more expensive trim levels and in order to get the ones you do want, you must also get ones that you dont want. And vice versa, if you want to avoid features in a trim level by not selecting it, then you might also have to forego features that you do want.

Id say its probably better to get what you want from an auto maker (or as close to it as possible) because of the warranty rather than Frankensteining it after youve bought it with extensive modifications. Weigh the pros and cons of trim levels/option groups that are most important to you.

In terms of waiting for the 2018s, I've been fantasizing about an AWD, diesel, stick, but I'm betting that's no dice. Apparently, the CX3 is coming with a stick for the first time in 2018. I had emailed Mazda and they said the plan was for a diesel stick in Canada later this year (apparently, with more information "around August"), but couldn't comment on AWD...although I note that a stick and AWD is inconsistent with the current model line-up.

For the diesels that exist outside the US/Canada, is their stick also only on the bottom FWD trim, or do they have it available on other trims too?

Yeah- I'm saying AWD GT- you already have a fun car with a manual- lucky you! I'd probably say wait for the diesel though- I don't think you'll get your wish- AWD diesel stick but worst case (say they still don't even materialize this year) you probably still saved yourself a nice little chunk of $ on a 17 for your patience. My dilemma is I kinda like elements of the 16.5 (and good deals) more so I'm a little antsy on watching them slip away while waiting on this diesel that we've been promised before, and honestly may not be worth the sticker or fuel premiums when all is said and done. Also- do we know how well they cope with 0F or colder start ups?

Last edited:
For more than thirty years I always bought manual transmission cars. I fell a while back and after knee surgery I can walk OK, not for a long distance but I can walk. An automatic transmission is a must for me, even though I prefer a manual. I must say that I am happy with my CX-5 GT. I can slap the shift lever towards me and pretend that I have a manual when I feel like it. I have gotten used to the automatic transmission and enjoy driving my GT. I will recommend a GT. You will grow to like it.

Back