2017 CX5, AWD, Touring option for exhaust upgrade

Reedman99

:
Mazda CX5 touring 2017
Hello Forum members!

Question first: What are the options available for a 2017 CX5 for an exhaust?

Background:
I'm brand spankin' new to the world of Mazda. Well, not "spankin' new" as my wife purchased a CX3 in July last year and I admit I drove it around every chance I could get. I have had a Subaru Forester 2012 for the past 5 years and felt it was a good purchase to make my transition to family car from my previous Civic Si Coupe (that I absolutely loved!). You can imagine the Forester just isn't as sporty to drive as that CX3. The Forester had a ton of utility to it, very barren in features, lot's of safety, great vis, roomy interior for family, and lastly the priority of AWD being I live in the Northwest. Something my Forester didn't provide was fun in driving it. Having added things to my Civic like short-throw, exhaust, intake, LED upgrades, and basically small or bolt-on items that made me love my Civic more. Unfortunately, the Forester didn't have any upgrade options unless it was the XT version - which I didn't have. So basically I've been driving with the Forester as an AWD champ that's roomy, but not fun to drive and bare of creature comforts. My wife's CX3 showed me that for price, comfort, and it being driver focused, I gave Mazda a lot of review. The CX5 is ultimately what caught my eye as a similar sized vehicle and was reviewed as a thrill to drive. Having just bought it (still waiting on delivery as it's being brought in special order), I'm looking to get ahead on the ideas of what I'm going to do to it with your input.

What I'm looking for are things that are just fun to wrench on the car a little with, but aren't going to break the bank. Intake and Exhaust are where I usually start. I have read a number of threads on intakes, but haven't seen anything with real consideration for me to upgrade like an SRI. From my reading here, it looks as though Mazda did a pretty good job of their own cold-air box and simply upgrading the drop-in filter is the easiest small-benefit option to do.

As far as the exhaust, which is where this question stems from - I haven't seen too much out there. I also can't tell how many changes have come up for 2017 from it's precursor the 2016.5. Please bear with me as well as I'm learning this new Mazda group and know squat about it from my previous investment with my Honda. I've seen names and videos on youtube for: CorkSport, Remus, and Racing Beat (even one or two on HKS). I just don't know which is the most reputable and consistent for Mazda drivers. I'm looking to add some depth in sound to the exhaust when starting up and when punching the throttle, but not necessarily something crazy loud like I previously had with my Civic. My civic had a Skunk2 60mm can, which was VERY LOUD, on it, but the key to it being loud was it didn't sound "farty". It sounded deep, rich, and like a larger engine underneath the hood. I realize Mazda has a different engine under the hood and has a completely different group of enthusiasts out there working on them from the Honda and Subaru world. I'm looking for this group's opinions as to some options I should look at in the upcoming year for exhaust for this 2017 CX5. I completely understand this is subjective and not objective in my request as I'm not asking for power gains or end-results besides sound or feel, but overall just want to see what a new group can educate me on. Mazda is foreign territory to me and I'm excited to join a passionate group of folks who clearly love their cars as much as I did my Honda. Subaru was also a super-passionate group, but it was more dedicated to their WRX/STi or Turbo crowds. Those with NA engines just didn't get the same love. I'm excited to see what this forum is all about and figured I'd ask for advice on my first post. Thanks for all of your input!

Since this car was just released to the public last week, you will have to wait a while for the aftermarket to catch up.

The SKYACTIV Header from the factory is very well designed, so I would not recommend touching anything North of the Cats.

MazdaDude - thanks for the reference. How long is it before you've seen them catch up with aftermarket items for these vehicles? Also, is the 2017 considered a redesign and new generation or a refresh?

MazdaDude - thanks for the reference. How long is it before you've seen them catch up with aftermarket items for these vehicles? Also, is the 2017 considered a redesign and new generation or a refresh?
If it is something HOT to Mod, like a Miata, then usually I have seen a very short window before products are coming out from manufacturers... 30-90 days...

Something like the CX-5, is going to be a little less demand, and while hard to say because folks like you can accelerate this progress, my guess would be 90-180 days before we see things start to appear commercially for it.

My dream for the exhaust mods would be a "Y" pipe after the Cats, attached to an electric exhaust cutout flap to send exhaust to the NORMAL tailpipe, or to the MODDED tailpipe depending on the switch position in the cockpit.

Mazda is defining the 2017 CX-5 as ALL-NEW, and they have changed the VIN Prefix from KE (2012-2016.5), and now KF (2017-?)

I call it all new as well, even the engine in the 2017 has been modified, made quicker to rev, pistons changed, output increased.

Last edited:
Man! Super helpful! Thank you for your quick input. I will say the forum here is much more sincere and quick to assist (I think maturity may be a factor?) here. I would agree on the Y factor for the exhaust. I liked having a single port for exhaust when it's built for it, but once it's got a spot for dual exhaust, may as well utilize it.

Any thoughts to your desired company making a particular exhaust? Like I said before I have seen a lot about CorkSport and Racing Beat. Not sure how I feel about either of them as the videos I saw and listened to didn't sound ideal for me, but always open to other opinions. I was hoping for like Borla, MagnaFlow, Tenabe (in my dreams), or something more throaty if they were offered. Just curious.

Man! Super helpful! Thank you for your quick input. I will say the forum here is much more sincere and quick to assist (I think maturity may be a factor?) here. I would agree on the Y factor for the exhaust. I liked having a single port for exhaust when it's built for it, but once it's got a spot for dual exhaust, may as well utilize it.

Any thoughts to your desired company making a particular exhaust? Like I said before I have seen a lot about CorkSport and Racing Beat. Not sure how I feel about either of them as the videos I saw and listened to didn't sound ideal for me, but always open to other opinions. I was hoping for like Borla, MagnaFlow, Tenabe (in my dreams), or something more throaty if they were offered. Just curious.

One of the MODERATORS here in the CX-5 forum (Christopher), also loves the modifications, and I am sure he should be here shortly, as soon as he smells someone who wants to modify also! (eekdance)

One of the MODERATORS here in the CX-5 forum (Christopher), also loves the modifications, and I am sure he should be here shortly, as soon as he smells someone who wants to modify also! (eekdance)

...Then truly the Gods have smiled upon me.

If it turns out the axleback arrangement is the same as the gen1s, then it will be simple. I've been looking at japanese/taiwan/malay/american etc vendors to see if they add the 17 cx5 to any parts that also fit the 13-16. These units start at like $400 and go up so another iption is a local shop making a simple axle back Y pipe with mufflers or straight pipe.

If it turns out the axleback arrangement is the same as the gen1s, then it will be simple. I've been looking at japanese/taiwan/malay/american etc vendors to see if they add the 17 cx5 to any parts that also fit the 13-16. These units start at like $400 and go up so another iption is a local shop making a simple axle back Y pipe with mufflers or straight pipe.

Alright. Deal is if you spot I've before me let me know. If I spot one before you, I'm be sure to let you know. Japanese exhaust would be my preference, but the American companies have some big sound. It all comes down to what you love.

Racing beat told me the current exhaust will fit. I sent an email to them a few weeks back. They don't plan on making much for the cx5 due to low demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back