had to put the Hater-ration away when I saw this in person at the Tulsa Car Show

We are totally off topic here but I do encourage US users with a library card to check out Hoopla to borrow free music (and movies).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It varies by library. For some odd reason I can borrow up to 99 albums, comic books or movies and TV shows...But not audiobooks. A friend of mine can borrow...10 at a time.

I have yet to see a CD that cannot be converted to a digital format. There's some thing to be said for having your entire CD collection in the palm of your hand.

I have over 20,000 CDs. I am not devoting my life to converting them all to MP3. ;)

Wouldn't it be nice to have that all in the palm of your hand? Or to have that space in your house freed up? Hehe šŸ¤£

I have over 20,000 CDs. I am not devoting my life to converting them all to MP3. ;)

I'm with you. I don't have as many CD's but I cannot see the point in converting them to an inferior digital format. I usually play a CD in the car, rather than MP3 as I can tell the difference. On MP3 the bass is woolly and there is a sense of "something missing", which it is, as part of the data has been discarded. For anyone on here too young too remember, MP3 was only brought in as a lossy compressed file format to combat woeful dial-up speeds when downloading music. MP3 is not an end to itself. Now... if the MZD system could play WAV or FLAC files that's another matter.....(bowdown). Artists and recording studios use the highest end equipment and facilities only for it to be ruined by the lowest common denominator - the MP3 file. The future should be Hi-Def music files. I hope that the UK version does still include a CD player.

Using BT, you can stream any format your phone will allow, which includes FLC if you have an Android.
320 bit mp3s sound just fine to me for in car listening.

MP3 is a file format which can be used with multiple quality settings and event within a single quality settings, the quality of the encoder matters.
I am not an audiophile but I very much doubt anyone claiming to being able to detect by ear alone the difference between CD quality and an MP3 which was produced by a decent encoder in high quality settings.

MP3 is a file format which can be used with multiple quality settings and event within a single quality settings, the quality of the encoder matters.
I am not an audiophile but I very much doubt anyone claiming to being able to detect by ear alone the difference between CD quality and an MP3 which was produced by a decent encoder in high quality settings.

My point is that an MP3 is a lossy (lousy) format even in the higher quality settings and I still prefer to listen to CD's in the car and that's why I hope the CD will still be available on the UK 2017 CX5. Over the years, unfortunately, the audio quality expectations of the general public have nosedived with a race to the bottom with any squawky, tinny pile of rubbish being labelled "Hi-FI" . (Bluetooth speakers being a case in point)

Thanks 7eregrine, I didn't realise you could put FLAC files on the phone.

Wouldn't it be nice to have that all in the palm of your hand? Or to have that space in your house freed up? Hehe šŸ¤£

Not for me! I appreciate the album artwork, the notes, info, etc. The object itself (though more so for LPs than CDs). The music is only part of the complete package for me. Even if I did rip all my CDs, I'd probably still keep/store them away. And the LPs... :D

Not for me! I appreciate the album artwork, the notes, info, etc. The object itself (though more so for LPs than CDs). The music is only part of the complete package for me. Even if I did rip all my CDs, I'd probably still keep/store them away. And the LPs... :D

Agree. LPs is where it is at.

My point is that an MP3 is a lossy (lousy) format even in the higher quality settings and I still prefer to listen to CD's in the car and that's why I hope the CD will still be available on the UK 2017 CX5. Over the years, unfortunately, the audio quality expectations of the general public have nosedived with a race to the bottom with any squawky, tinny pile of rubbish being labelled "Hi-FI" . (Bluetooth speakers being a case in point)

Thanks 7eregrine, I didn't realise you could put FLAC files on the phone.

I still don't believe any person can accurately point out a good MP3 from the original. Yes, it is lossy, same as many other formats, such as AAC and Dolby Digital and also used in video and images. If you are old enough, you already lost some of your hearing spectrum, so if anyone can, it will be children. I doubt even they can on a good MP3.
Speakers are a different beast and should not be dragged into this.

I still don't believe any person can accurately point out a good MP3 from the original. Yes, it is lossy, same as many other formats, such as AAC and Dolby Digital and also used in video and images. If you are old enough, you already lost some of your hearing spectrum, so if anyone can, it will be children. I doubt even they can on a good MP3.
Speakers are a different beast and should not be dragged into this.

You should come by my house and listen... my four year old, my wife, and I can tell if it's off the computer (MP3) through the stereo, vinyl, CD, or through the tv (Spotify). All are hooked through the same stereo and have different sounds. Either way, I'm glad to have the choice, because my 2017 has a CD player, and I use it.

Either way, I'm glad to have the choice, because my 2017 has a CD player, and I use it.

That has been my point all along, I want the choice and not be forced down a route... and my hearing is above average for my age as I've had it tested. I've never been one of those people on the train, bus, tube etc that has had MP3 player earphones glued to their head, with people hearing the tiz,tiz,fizz fizz noise at least 3 rows away.

The compromise could be that Mazda offer the CD player as an optional extra in the markets where it's not standard?

You should come by my house and listen... my four year old, my wife, and I can tell if it's off the computer (MP3) through the stereo, vinyl, CD, or through the tv (Spotify). All are hooked through the same stereo and have different sounds. Either way, I'm glad to have the choice, because my 2017 has a CD player, and I use it.

If you can hear the difference so easily, then it is most likely your MP3 is of low quality and/or used a crappy encoder.
If your hearing is so great, why limit yourself to a pedestrian 22KHz of CD quality and not go to higher sampling rates with more bits per sample, such as HD Audio or High resolution audio, or LP?

Most people can't hear anything above 16.5 KHz and many can't hear much less ...
https://thesession.org/discussions/19642

Last edited:
If you can hear the difference so easily, then it is most likely your MP3 is of low quality and/or used a crappy encoder.
If your hearing is so great, why limit yourself to a pedestrian 22KHz of CD quality and not go to higher sampling rates with more bits per sample, such as HD Audio or High resolution audio, or LP?

Most people can't hear anything above 16.5 KHz and many can't hear much less ...
He's already stated he goes to LP. Smart man. I think he has it down pat already...

Not looking to fight you; however my encoding is fine as is the quality of most of my MP3s (I have well over 60,000 on a dedicated computer for when I am DJing w/o vinyl no way they are all fitting on an iPod, let alone an iPhone) . I'm a professional DJ, I spend a lot of time listening to music. I've already made it clear that vinyl is my preferred media for listening. My point is that I am happy to have the choice. If you're happy with what you've got, great, enjoy; I'm happy my 2017 has a CD player, a DVD player, USB, Bluetooth, TV, Radio, and can also play SD cards. If it had a cassette deck too, that'd be even better. I like choice.

Back