had to put the Hater-ration away when I saw this in person at the Tulsa Car Show

To be very very honest, while 17 to an extent deviates from the original design language (or Minagi's realization of the language), both 17's and 1st gen's exteriors have their attraction. Kind of smart casual vs. business formal, both have their own place, for different occasions, and both deserve admiration. 17 is perhaps targeting a different level of elegance (ie to some, more "boring" bus. formal).

I just stopped at a Mazda dealership while out running errands to see the 2017 up close (there were approx 10 on the lot - most were GT). Somewhat glad that the dealership was closed as I would have been tempted to test drive.

Pics don't do the new model justice IMO - it's a very nice looking vehicle and the evolution of design/focus on refinement is commendable. I agree w/mazdafollower that both exteriors are attractive for different reasons. I like my 2016 GT, but I could foresee being happy w/the new model as well. Three things that grabbed me when walking around the two parked up front - the lighter blue and red paint is beautiful, all gaps seemed very much the same (attention to detail), but the spoiler wasn't as aggressive or pronounced (more integrated and less sporty).

The interior is certainly more attractive - I like the side-by-side cup holders in the front, full armrest, and center console. I've read that the steering wheel is not the same shape and that the leather is thinner if heated. I like the opening at the bottom spoke on mine; looks that isn't open on the new steering wheel. Seats appear to be more padded and not as aggressively bolstered (again, something that appeals to me although I've found mine feeling more broken-in after 18 mos. of ownership).

Net-net is I'll likely take a 2017 when in for my next service. With only ~9K miles on my car though, it's unlikely I'm making a change anytime soon (more so for fear of my wife's reaction).

Well, my dealer still doesn't have any 2017s, but I found one pretty close to work that has about 100 of them listed on their site. I think I might go venture over there during lunch and check 'em out. I just need to see a black one in person I think.

Well, my dealer still doesn't have any 2017s, but I found one pretty close to work that has about 100 of them listed on their site. I think I might go venture over there during lunch and check 'em out. I just need to see a black one in person I think.

Indeed. It's such an improved car. Open and then shut a 2016's and a 17's door and listen to how much more solid the new one is. Mazda is courting the BMW crowd in Japan...

Indeed. It's such an improved car. Open and then shut a 2016's and a 17's door and listen to how much more solid the new one is. Mazda is courting the BMW crowd in Japan...

No doubt huge improvements have been made.

Still unsure on the styling, but seeing in person will either confirm my dislike or wow me. I'm hoping for the later. :)

I did like the pics of your black 2017. It made me like the style design a bit better than the soul reds I saw. I like black. :)

Last edited:
No doubt huge improvements have been made.

Still unsure on the styling, but seeing in person will either confirm my dislike or wow me. I'm hoping for the later. :)

I did like the pics of your black 2017. It made me like the style design a bit better than the soul reds I saw.
Yeah, the side still has some styling that doesn't show in the pictures well. The new one looks a bit more aggressive in person. My friends with the older ones checked it out yesterday and today, and each of them was impressed with the 2017's exterior. I was more critical of it then they were. Some things that others haven't mentioned, but the new grill is certainly better made/more quality over the previous. The back door windows are bigger (they got rid of the non opening one. The doors are much heavier and open much wider.

Yeah, the side still has some styling that doesn't show in the pictures well. The new one looks a bit more aggressive in person. My friends with the older ones checked it out yesterday and today, and each of them was impressed with the 2017's exterior. I was more critical of it then they were. Some things that others haven't mentioned, but the new grill is certainly better made/more quality over the previous. The back door windows are bigger (they got rid of the non opening one. The doors are much heavier and open much wider.

Interesting. The grill on my 2014 is just plastic like the rest of the plastic exterior trim lol!

Well, might not be able to get away long enough for lunch today, but sometime this week it's my mission to see one in person!

Careful... we know what happened the last time someone went to the dealer at lunch. :D

Plus the 17 will now hit highway EPA estimates without hypermiling behind an 18 wheeler. Win win.

Mattyredox, I trust your judgment. How about more pics to help make your point? :)

5bb5889e9f92efda91e8b7c9927f123f.jpg

Sent from my cell phone

It looks like they've done a lot of work on the finish. There is quite a lot of orange peel on mine. The new ones look like glass.

Where the previous-gen CX-5 had the swoopy line from the front quarter panel (ie. cheetah pouncing look), the 17 CX-5 has the character line from the front quarter bonnet back to the hips of the vehicle giving it a much more refined and upscale look. The grille mesh also has a more intricate and interesting design much like Mercedes or Jag F-Pace.

Latest posts

Back