had to put the Hater-ration away when I saw this in person at the Tulsa Car Show

dgraham2038

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring
UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_61c0.jpg

Can I borrow someone's hot tub time machine so I could have delayed my CX5 purchase decision by one year

hopefully you can see the picture

LOL!

Tbh, I still much prefer the exterior styling of the 2016 to the 2017, but they are killing it with the soul red (though it normally looks a bit darker than this?).

I'm still waiting for my dealer to get some in so I can see it in person. Who knows, it might change my tune.

I emailed my dealer asking for 15 off sticker. He obliged. Unfortunately he thought i was asking for 15 dollars off.

LOL!

Tbh, I still much prefer the exterior styling of the 2016 to the 2017, but they are killing it with the soul red (though it normally looks a bit darker than this?).

I'm still waiting for my dealer to get some in so I can see it in person. Who knows, it might change my tune.
Wife and I went to our Mazda dealer checking out new 2nd-gen CX-5. We both feel the exterior styling of new CX-5 is worse than 1st-gen too. I still feel the same that the front tiny headlights and foglights leaving too much blanks in between, the side looks too plain, and the tiny taillights with too much space for license plate looks odd. The design of interior like someone mentioned the center stack leaving too much space wasted between center dash vents and HVAC control. We definitely like the styling of old CX-5 better even after seeing the actual vehicle!

I emailed my dealer asking for 15 off sticker. He obliged. Unfortunately he thought i was asking for 15 dollars off.
Yeah Town North Mazda I went this afternoon has only one 2017 CX-5 Touring left, all GT's are gone! You're lucky that dealer is willing to take $15 off from list for a 2017 CX-5! ;)

Wife and I went to our Mazda dealer checking out new 2nd-gen CX-5. We both feel the exterior styling of new CX-5 is worse than 1st-gen too. I still feel the same that the front tiny headlights and foglights leaving too much blanks in between, the side looks too plain, and the tiny taillights with too much space for license plate looks odd. The design of interior like someone mentioned the center stack leaving too much space wasted between center dash vents and HVAC control. We definitely like the styling of old CX-5 better even after seeing the actual vehicle!

On the CX-9 at least they have something more interesting between the headlights & foglights. The spoiler on 2017 CX-5 also appears to be less distinct / attractive than in the 1st gen CX-5, but I could be wrong.

I suppose seeing the real thing today didn't really let you down, but simply confirmed your impression from the pic galleries. BTW, did you see the Autohold button that you predicted last year (after observing a blank space behind the EPB button)? Forgot which post from you I read though.

On the CX-9 at least they have something more interesting between the headlights & foglights. The spoiler on 2017 CX-5 also appears to be less distinct / attractive than in the 1st gen CX-5, but I could be wrong.

I suppose seeing the real thing today didn't really let you down, but simply confirmed your impression from the pic galleries. BTW, did you see the Autohold button that you predicted last year (after observing a blank space behind the EPB button)? Forgot which post from you I read though.
Yeah I definitely think 2nd-gen CX-9 looks beautiful and looks much better than 2nd-gen CX-5! The Auto Hold button is there now filling out that blank next to the electrical parking brake. I also brought my 2016 JDM rear headrest to try it out it does fit perfectly for that 2017 Touring like bigtex said in another thread. I honestly prefer getting 1st-gen CX-5 simply by the look, and will buy a 2016.5 if we need a compact CUV right now and we haven't already had a 2016! Big discount on 1st-gen right now is a plus too!

The spoiler on 2017 CX-5 also appears to be less distinct / attractive than in the 1st gen CX-5, but I could be wrong.

Yes! I thought something seemed different with the rear spoiler. Definitely not as distinctive. The angles and lines just don't feel right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LOL!

I prefer the 2017 to the prior years and actually think the older version look bad now! The back end of the CX-5 still seems wrong and I much prefer the styling of the CX-3 and Cx-9 to the CX-5. Actually, I would love a CX-4 with a 2.5T!

The spoiler on 2017 CX-5 also appears to be less distinct / attractive than in the 1st gen CX-5, but I could be wrong.
Yes! I thought something seemed different with the rear spoiler. Definitely not as distinctive. The angles and lines just don't feel right.
Agreed! The rear roof-top spoiler definitely more aggrieved on 2016.5 and I personally prefer that way! It seems wheel well openings are larger with bigger gap with tires on 2017 and created tire-is-too-small effect from side view. This's especially more obvious on 17" Touring wheels for some reason although the outer diameter of tires between two sizes are the same. The 19" GT wheels though looks much nicer in person than on picture but I prefer the look of 17" Touring wheels. Of course YMMV.

I prefer the 2017 to the prior years and actually think the older version look bad now! The back end of the CX-5 still seems wrong and I much prefer the styling of the CX-3 and Cx-9 to the CX-5. Actually, I would love a CX-4 with a 2.5T!

The back end was never the strong suit of the CX-5. But that side profile with the "swoop". Sad that that is gone now. Side looks like any other CUV now in my opinion. Less distinctive. Especially chromed up like that around the windows too...again, like all the other CUVs.

Looks nice and if you don't like it, the body style will grow on you. As for red, also looks nice but is a ticket magnet.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The back end was never the strong suit of the CX-5. But that side profile with the "swoop". Sad that that is gone now. Side looks like any other CUV now in my opinion. Less distinctive. Especially chromed up like that around the windows too...again, like all the other CUVs.

Yes, the side swoop was a nice feature that I liked. The flat look just seems cheap to me. But overall, I think this looks better and still stands out. I can barely tell the difference between a Santa Fe and a CRV now. The CX-5 still is distinctive.

Kodo - Soul of Motion

The original Kodo - Soul of Motion design language from Mazda for CX-5:
2016-Mazada-cx5-kodo-design.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now for 2017 CX-5 that unique side "swoop" for Kodo Soul of Motion is gone!
attachment.php

IMG_9903.PNG IMG_9904.PNG IMG_9905.PNG

Yes, the side swoop was a nice feature that I liked. The flat look just seems cheap to me. But overall, I think this looks better and still stands out. I can barely tell the difference between a Santa Fe and a CRV now. The CX-5 still is distinctive.

In person, it doesn't look cheap.

I still think overall that Mazda took a step back in design with the 17 CX5. All previous years of it, it was unanimous that that CX5 was a looker when it came to CUVs. Not so unanimous anymore. It's a shame too. They improved so much in the 17 it seems but the exterior just doesn't have the presence that all the other years had.

I disagree on looks (of course, because I bought a 2017!)... after looking at the new design, to me the previous designs look old and like Mazda was trying too hard with the swooping. In fact, the new design is what first attracted me to the CX-5 and back to Mazda (after having multiple Mazda 6's in the past). I think the new look is a great evolution of their design.

The inside is no contest for me either... Spending time in the 2017 has spoiled me and the previous design looks much less refined.

Definitely all preference though... it's impossible to make a car that everyone likes!

I think the swoop is what made the CX5 stand out among every other CUV. My point was that with the 17 CX5, the design has been questioned a lot in here. That never happened 2013-2016.5.

No doubt personal preferences play a part.

No doubt the new gen is more upscale and nice.

But when I see a CX-5 on the road now, I can immediately recognize it, especially with that swoop. It looks unique.

Now if I see a 17 CX-5 on the road, I am not so sure I can tell it's a CX-5 if looking from the side.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back