My 17 vs 16.5 Comparison: More Premium, but Less Connected

gauden44

So I was able to test drive new 17 and 16.5 CX-5 GT's today, and wanted to share my thoughts. Coming from someone with a 09 Mazda 3 GT.

Pros for 2017:
  • Quieter--very noticeably quieter. I really wasn't expecting much here before I test drove them, but wow. The 16.5 sounded like my 09 Mazda 3. In the 16.5, sitting at a stop light, you can hear the cross traffic cars go by, and you can definitely hear the tires when you go over rough roads. The engine is loud and drones. This was not the case with the 17. The road, engine, and wind noise was SIGNIFICANTLY less noticeable. They did a great job here, I was very impressed. It was almost a little eerie though, as I'm used to being able to hear around me in my 3, and with the 17 it sounds like you're in quiet bedroom. It sounded like the Rav4 Limited that I test drove a couple weeks ago (though that one had a little less engine noise).
  • Better sound system--I think the replacement of the corner speakers with tweeters really helped here. And somehow the Bose Centerpoint made it sound awesome, like the sound was coming from all around, where in the 16.5 it felt like the sound was all coming from the front of the car.
  • Center screen--I think I did like the center screen being on top of the dash instead of down lower. Not much else different about this though. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the interior since it was kind of minor changes.

Cons for 2017:
  • Steering--The steering felt kinda funky in the 17. When you're moving very slowly the steering wheel has almost no resistance, but then as things pick up, it gets dramatically tighter. The difference between slow and fast movement of the car in the form of the steering wheel resistance felt kind of strange. Whereas with the 16.5 it felt more natural and connected. It was still easier to turn at slow speeds but seemed to change linearly whereas the 17 was like step changes. At high speeds the 17 also seemed looser than the 16. Granted this may just be because I'm used to the 16's style steering in my 3.
  • Steering wheel--both 17 and 16.5 steering wheels have these little things that jut in from the outer rim of the steering wheel to make it fatter, right where you usually hold the wheel. In the 17 though, these things were thinner and therefore sharper, while the 16.5 was more fuller and more round. The 16.5's steering wheel was more comfortable because of this.
  • Small side windows--I'm pretty sure the 17's side windows are shorter and don't extend down the side as much as the 16. It felt kind of weird out of the corner of my eye, like I couldn't see as much as I'm used to. I kept trying to raise the seat to compensate, but then the seat started tilting forward and I felt like I was on a park bench instead of a bucket seat. This might be something you could get used to.
  • Lack of shifts?--it might be because it was brand new with 2 miles, but with the 2017 I could slightly hear the revs change when it was shifting, but I couldn't feel it at all, which was kind of strange. Felt like a CVT haha. However this is probably something that would change as it got older, or you'd get more used to it.
  • Less room?--for some reason in the 16 in the driver's seat, I felt like I had more room to the left of me than I did in the 17. Might have been an optical illusion, but it felt more spacious. May also be due to the possible change in windows like I mentioned above.

Overall the 2017 definitely felt more premium, albeit less connected to the road. This is likely due a lot to the very noticeable sound reduction that was added on. If I were to buy a CX-5 today, I'd probably go for the 17 even if it were $2k-$3k more than a 16.5. The sound reduction was just that good. The car felt peaceful. Part of this though is that I think the 17 looks lot better than the 16.5, which is obviously subjective.

In the end I'm actually leaning towards the Rav4 though because neither of the CX-5's seats could get into the bucket position that I like and lacked thigh support, which sucks because I love my 3 and really, really want to like the CX-5. But it felt like I was sitting on a window sill, especially as you try to raise the seat. Whereas the Rav4 Limited/SE's seat tilts very nicely even as the height changes. However I'm still investigating whether I could add some height to the front bolts of the CX-5 seats to get them to be more tilted.

Last edited:
So I was able to test drive new 17 and 16.5 CX-5 GT's today, and wanted to share my thoughts. Coming from someone with a 09 Mazda 3 GT.

Pros for 2017:
  • Quieter--very noticeably quieter. I really wasn't expecting much here before I test drove them, but wow. The 16.5 sounded like my 09 Mazda 3. In the 16.5, sitting at a stop light, you can hear the cross traffic cars go by, and you can definitely hear the tires when you go over rough roads. The engine is loud and drones. This was not the case with the 17. The road, engine, and wind noise was SIGNIFICANTLY less noticeable. They did a great job here, I was very impressed. It was almost a little eerie though, as I'm used to being able to hear around me in my 3, and with the 17 it sounds like you're in quiet bedroom. It sounded like the Rav4 Limited that I test drove a couple weeks ago (though that one had a little less engine noise).
  • Better sound system--I think the replacement of the corner speakers with tweeters really helped here. And somehow the Bose Centerpoint made it sound awesome, like the sound was coming from all around, where in the 16.5 it felt like the sound was all coming from the front of the car.
  • Center screen--I think I did like the center screen being on top of the dash instead of down lower. Not much else different about this though. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the interior since it was kind of minor changes.

Cons for 2017:
  • Steering--The steering felt kinda funky in the 17. When you're moving very slowly the steering wheel has almost no resistance, but then as things pick up, it gets dramatically tighter. The difference between slow and fast movement of the car in the form of the steering wheel resistance felt kind of strange. Whereas with the 16.5 it felt more natural and connected. It was still easier to turn at slow speeds but seemed to change linearly whereas the 17 was like step changes. At high speeds the 17 also seemed looser than the 16. Granted this may just be because I'm used to the 16's style steering in my 3.
  • Steering wheel--both 17 and 16.5 steering wheels have these little things that jut in from the outer rim of the steering wheel to make it fatter, right where you usually hold the wheel. In the 17 though, these things were thinner and therefore sharper, while the 16.5 was more fuller and more round. The 16.5's steering wheel was more comfortable because of this.
  • Small side windows--I'm pretty sure the 17's side windows are shorter and don't extend down the side as much as the 16. It felt kind of weird out of the corner of my eye, like I couldn't see as much as I'm used to. I kept trying to raise the seat to compensate, but then the seat started tilting forward and I felt like I was on a park bench instead of a bucket seat. This might be something you could get used to.
  • Lack of shifts?--it might be because it was brand new with 2 miles, but with the 2017 I could slightly hear the revs change when it was shifting, but I couldn't feel it at all, which was kind of strange. Felt like a CVT haha. However this is probably something that would change as it got older, or you'd get more used to it.
  • Less room?--for some reason in the 16 in the driver's seat, I felt like I had more room to the left of me than I did in the 17. Might have been an optical illusion, but it felt more spacious. May also be due to the possible change in windows like I mentioned above.

Overall the 2017 definitely felt more premium, albeit less connected to the road. This is likely due a lot to the very noticeable sound reduction that was added on. If I were to buy a CX-5 today, I'd probably go for the 17 even if it were $2k-$3k more than a 16.5. The sound reduction was just that good. The car felt peaceful. Part of this though is that I think the 17 looks lot better than the 16.5, which is obviously subjective.

In the end I'm actually leaning towards the Rav4 though because neither of the CX-5's seats could get into the bucket position that I like and lacked thigh support, which sucks because I love my 3 and really, really want to like the CX-5. But it felt like I was sitting on a window sill, especially as you try to raise the seat. Whereas the Rav4 Limited/SE's seat tilts very nicely even as the height changes. However I'm still investigating whether I could add some height to the front bolts of the CX-5 seats to get them to be more tilted.
Thanks for your review...
I just got my 2017 XDL today (that's the top trim available in Japan plus a diesel engine). For the past two weeks I'd been driving a dealer's tricked out 2016 Axela (Japan's 3). Prior to that, I had a 2014 CX5 - mid trim.
We agree on some things and disagree elsewhere.
It is amazingly quiet. I have the diesel, and didn't notice any engine noise. Even with the sunroof open, it's actually quieter, which was weird. One thing that they still need to fix is the "whoomping" sound that is made when only the sunroof is open at speed - at least one other window needs to be open a crack to stop it, this used to be a problem in my old CX5 with any single window open, now it just happens with the sunroof.

Sound system does sound much better so far, but I will drive a bit longer with it before deciding how much better.

The older CX5's had a lower screen, the new one is good, but it does look like an iPad shoved into the dash. Best part for me is how improved the system is, and that it's in English or Japanese (or several other languages), downside is mine only does verbal commands in Japanese - but this may change.

I love the steering on this one, maybe it's designed for Japanese road conditions, but both my wife and I liked the new steering much more.

My steering wheel feels fine so far.

The side windows are a marked IMPROVEMENT over the previous ones, there was a blind spot that was huge on the previous ones, and I would say they halved that blindspot in the new design.

Lack of shifts? Not sure what was up with the one you drove, I haven't noticed anything like this on any of the three 2017's I've driven.

Feels roomier yet more cradled that the older ones, the new seats are a vast improvement over the old seats. You may have not found that the levers move up and down as well as back and forth, and that there's a lumbar support, I can't speak for your 2009, but this new seat feels better than any previous one I've driven, it was a big selling point for me.

Ah, I should clarify that I did try tilting the seats. And while it helped a little, as the seat goes higher it tilts more forward. Seems to be the case with a lot of cars... dunno why that is.

Ah, I should clarify that I did try tilting the seats. And while it helped a little, as the seat goes higher it tilts more forward. Seems to be the case with a lot of cars... dunno why that is.

I wonder if we have a size difference too. I'm 240 pounds and 6'3". Tomorrow we'll see how my wife feels on her first long drive. She's half my size.

Nice review and pretty much echoes my findings other than the shifting on the 17 that i didn't experience although i was also using the shift lever manually for the most part.. Overall it's an advancement for the model and brand but i think i prefer the more unfiltered/anolog feeling of the 16.5 in the hand. I also prefer the old firmer seats, rear visibility and slightly more airy cabin. Its probably the right direction but to me it felt slightly less special dynamically, but I'm kinda old school i guess-some of the new features are definitely nice and the value is still strong if not a bit stronger. Bottom line its not a slam dunk for me and will likely re-up with the freshened 1st gen. Question is can/should i wait for diesel?

Last edited:

Also, on the RAV4, when you raise the seat height, it moves forward significantly. My wife, who is 5'8", likes her seat all the way up. She found the leg room inadequate and uncomfortable. I'm 6'1" and like the seat all the way down, tilted, and leaning back. I had plenty of room. It moved forward on raising that much.

Rav4 power units in the UK don't come near the cx-5 's so I haven't even tested one, although I've had a Toyota in the past its handling was poor.

I can only compare the 2017 to my 2015. BIG change was, indeed, the quiet interior. We didn't take it out on the highway but road noise sounds remarkably subdued. Biggest complaint I have on my '15 is the wind whistle. Right around 40-45mph I get a whistle which almost sounds like a chain dragging on the road. Very annoying.

Appears the door/window buttons on the '17 also aren't illuminated, save for the driver window. No clue why Mazda doesn't do this but we have a 25 year old Camry LE in which all the controls are illuminated. Very helpful when fumbling around to find a rear window button or the door lock/unlock button. If the exterior of the '17 CX-5 didn't look so nice, I'd be tempted to go with the Honda CR-V just because of this.

Oh, and the Premium Package on the 2017 GT includes heated steering wheel and rear seats. Those come in handy when driving in Minnesota winters. Hope the seats in the 2017 warm up quicker than in the 2015.

Why would overseas get illuminated window switches and not the USA? Disappointing.

Is the driver's window switch illuminated on the 16.5? I keep seeing references to this (possibly confusingly depending on locale), but mine isn't. There's a little white line on it, but it doesn't light up - is it supposed to?

Is the driver's window switch illuminated on the 16.5? I keep seeing references to this (possibly confusingly depending on locale), but mine isn't. There's a little white line on it, but it doesn't light up - is it supposed to?

I just double checked on my '16 GT w/Tech. That white line does illuminate (as do the lock and unlock symbols above it) when the headlights are on and the start button had been pushed twice (I didn't start it though).

I wonder if '17 has that heavy steel hood with the pole that you have to manage to pull while holding the darn thing up. That was so yesteryear on '15, how's that now?

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

I wonder if '17 has that heavy steel hood with the pole that you have to manage to pull while holding the darn thing up. That was so yesteryear on '15, how's that now?

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Heavy??? My 2014 prop rod is skyactive.(rofl2)

I just double checked on my '16 GT w/Tech. That white line does illuminate (as do the lock and unlock symbols above it) when the headlights are on and the start button had been pushed twice (I didn't start it though).

Thanks for checking. I'll have to look more closely, but I don't recall mine lighting up.

Back