ECU Relocation

apc

:
2011 Mazda2 Touring
Finally got around to doing an ECU relocation today. Pretty simple just using stuff I had on hand. A couple L-brackets and some cutting.

The ECU is just a board that slides into a pocket in the airbox. So the pocket has to be separated which was simple enough with a chisel and hammer around the seam (after removing the board). Then the logo section had to be cut off.

4mzTgiU.jpg

I used a ground point for my mount location. After rummaging around I decided on a couple L-brackets bent into shape and bolted together.

NDMWrtn.jpg

Vams96S.jpg

The ECU cable harnesses will reach with a little massaging, but this connector had to be relocated. I'm assuming it's for a temperature sensor or the CPS or something. It had plenty of slack.

VFqYLJX.jpg

The ECU housing was notched for the bracket and also to avoid rubbing on a cable harness below it.

Fm3StXR.jpg

Fits perfect next to the battery.

A4pbY3p.jpg

CWJTU32.jpg

KVyczPg.jpg

Thread lock all around. It all seems pretty solid so I'm not too worried about vibration. If things do start to loosen up I'll probably add a bracket reaching over to the battery bracket. Also, I doubt it was actually getting any meaningful cooling from any airflow forced through the airbox. The vacuum lines that used to be clipped to the airbox did get zip tied to the injector harness.

IZMKyTU.jpg

Now to clean the engine compartment.

Looks good, FYI if you do want to brace it more, do NOT attach it to the battery bracket because where you have it attached(the engine) moves around... the battery does not. If anything you'll need to tie it into the transmission/engine below it to keep it from moving around.

I'm not sure how much that ECM swings around forward/back/left/right, but keep in mind every time it moves it is flexing a big bundle of pretty rigid wires, which are all attached to terminals inside those connectors. Over time it will fatigue the wires and/or connector terminals. It'll probably be in your best interest to add one, if not two more points(that also move with the engine/trans) to keep the ECM housing from moving at all to prevent this.

Also friendly reminder to make sure none of those wire bundles are physically forced against anything they can be abraded by... vibration will do it slowly over time. If necessary you can cut some rubber hose down the middle and slip it over where necessary to keep this from happening.

Back