72000 km service results

billyphatu

:
2015 CX-5 GS AWD Grey
Hey folks, hoping for some advice and/or moral support. just took my 2015 in for its 72000km service (was actually just over 75000) to Mazda of Toronto. Terrible customer service, worst dealer in the GTA that i've tried so far (of 4). Anyway. Apparently, my transmission fluid, brake fluid and differential oil are all 'dirty'. That's as much as they could tell me. Wanted me to sign off on replacing them all there and then at a total cost of CAD$520. I don't think any of these fluids have been replaced in the life of the vehicle, certainly not since I bought it CPO-ed in 2015. So question is, is it normal to see dirty fluid at 75k km/47k miles? i thought the trannie fluid at least should last longer?

They also tried to get me to change the air cabin filter saying it was dirty, when I changed it only two months ago. minimal discolouration on the filter. And they said I need an alignment, but when asked how they could tell they weren't able to tell me....They also charged me $50 more than they said the service would be on the phone and didn't say a word when I challenged them on it.

My whole experience there makes me sceptical about the fluids. But I am a newbie car owner so I don't relaly know.

They just want to ripp you off. Walk away.
Brake fluid should be changed, but with the trans fluid, I would wait until 100k kms, inho.

At 75,000 km / 46,600 miles, I suggest you to change automatic transmission fluid and brake fluid. If you have AWD you should also change front transfer case and rear differential gear lubricant. The only problem for me is I highly doubt your dealer actually "saw" your fluids mentioned above dirty other than brake fluid. In order to see dirty fluids, they need to open the fill-hole and check on transfer case、differential、transmission to check the fluid condition. I simply don't have confidence to this dealer doing all of these fluid changes with proper recommended fluids. Try to find a trustworthy mechanic who knows Mazda well and do all the fluid changes. Or you can always DIY.

Brake fluid should last at least 3 years in my opinion and you can look at the color of the fluid above the master cylinder as it is made of clear plastic to be able to view the level. If it is clear leave it alone, if it is dark change it. Read your owners guide, it indicates automatic transmission fluid is lifetime but some like to change it at 75-100,000 MILES. There is a schedule for the AWD dif fluid component however.

While fluid changes are good to do when done properly, and I personally changed my transmission fluid at 50k miles and noticed a solid improvement, it is absolutely not required by Mazda. I would point to the owners manual for anything the dealer suggests and ask them why they are trying to upsell you on a service.

Review the owners manual to find out what the manufactures requires. In the case of brake fluid and ATF there is no required change listed in my 2014 manual. I asked my service writer about the AT and he said bring the car back at 100,000 miles and we'll change it. I always change out brake fluid WHEN I change pads. The Awd differential fluid has a special set of recommendations. I also seriously doubt that the service people at the dealer, removed the hold down bolt and removed the level stick to check the condition of the ATF and since brake fluid is not recirculated in the reservoir, it will always appear fairly clean. I fear your dealer is high on trying to get deep into your wallet without justification. Ed

Thanks for all replies. I will be due new brake pads next time I go in so I will swap the brake fluid then. The manual doesn't say anything about changing the differential/transfer oil except in certain circumstances. Perhaps I will change it when I get to 100k km. Also nothing about transmission fluid and I understand it is meant to be lifetime but could be changed as a preference, so maybe I will get that done at a later point.

Another problem I have noticed after this service is three of four doors are groaning/creaking when opened. It's like they forgot to lube the hinges or something. Gah.

Back