2016 CX-5 - Transmission/Idling Issues?

Petrucci914

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
Hi Everyone,

Purchased a 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD a few months ago. It is a CPO vehicle and I've put on around 2500 miles so far.

A few things I've noticed, though:

1. The brakes squeak a lot. I saw a TSB for 2014 vehicles, but nothing on 2016.
2. The idle isn't horrible, but I can feel some vibrations in the brake pedal at a stop.
3. Occasionally when I am in D at a stop sign, I'll experience what feels like a downshift - a small lurch. A few times I had to confirm someone didn't tap me from behind.

I've read some people having bad motor mounts and having to have some transmission solenoids replaced. I've even read about a lot of bad transmissions for the 2016 models.

Any thoughts or insights?

Thanks!

Is your AC on while at idle? Sometimes the AC can cause that small lurch.

Nope. I'm in the Northwest. Just been using Heat since I purchased it in Feb.

FYI: Your A/C is ON while the heater is on to keep the air dry in your car. UNLESS selector is in FACE VENT mode ONLY.

Have you taken to the dealer for the brake noise? Sometimes it just takes a few good hard braking applications, or a blow out /wash of all the dust.

The transmission downshift you feel while stopped is normal and has been noticed by others.

Last edited:
FYI: Your A/C is ON while the heater is on to keep the air dry in your car. UNLESS selector is in FACE VENT mode ONLY.

Historically my understanding with that was only when utilizing 'Defrost.' I use feet/face setting 99% of the time.

The 2016 transmission goes into "neutral" when stopped, with brakes applied in drive, (and probably at operating temp.) to improve mileage by not having to strain against the torque converter while stopped. When you release the brake it will drop into gear and raise the rpm slightly to anticipate you pressing the gas pedal. You can see this happening by watching the rpms rise slightly as you take your foot off the brake. Maybe you are relaxing the brake without realizing it while stopped and the brake switch is opening, engaging the transmission and raising the power causing the "lurch"...

The 2016 transmission goes into "neutral" when stopped, with brakes applied in drive, (and probably at operating temp.) to improve mileage by not having to strain against the torque converter while stopped. When you release the brake it will drop into gear and raise the rpm slightly to anticipate you pressing the gas pedal. You can see this happening by watching the rpms rise slightly as you take your foot off the brake. Maybe you are relaxing the brake without realizing it while stopped and the brake switch is opening, engaging the transmission and raising the power causing the "lurch"...

Very interesting information. Is this different than earlier years?

I don't think I am but with my weird brake issues I wonder if a caliper is hung up, then releases making the transmission think I am attempting to accelerate? I'm probably way off, but just a thought....

Historically my understanding with that was only when utilizing 'Defrost.' I use feet/face setting 99% of the time.

Mazda system utilizes A/C while in flow is on FEET mode as well. Including any FEET combo mode.

This is also explained in further depth in the owners manual.

Last edited:
Mazda SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission has small torque convertor with a lock-up clutch. The clutch will lock at every gear at low speed instead of conventional lock-up at much higher speed at the highest gear. It locks up 89% of the time instead of 64% from Mazda's previous 5-speed AT. Improvement in fuel economy and achievement of "direct feel" with almost full range lock-up is the key for SkyActiv-Drive AT.

Nothing new when stopped at idle comparing to conventional step AT.

I have a 16 with 11k miles on it purchased new in Apr 2015 and the idle is rock solid. I'm amazed when sitting at a red light even with the A/C on the idle doesn't move off of 700 rpm. On my wife's CR-V I can watch the RPM's move up and down in the same situation. When you're sitting at idle with your foot on the brake check and see if the rpm's move.
If so, you may want the dealer to check it out. Could be the transmission problem that's affected some owners on this forum. Better to get it documented just in case.

As far as brakes, could be a buildup of brake dust. A lot of things can make the brakes squeak. Have they been checked?

I have a 16 with 11k miles on it purchased new in Apr 2015 and the idle is rock solid. I'm amazed when sitting at a red light even with the A/C on the idle doesn't move off of 700 rpm. On my wife's CR-V I can watch the RPM's move up and down in the same situation. When you're sitting at idle with your foot on the brake check and see if the rpm's move.
If so, you may want the dealer to check it out. Could be the transmission problem that's affected some owners on this forum. Better to get it documented just in case.

As far as brakes, could be a buildup of brake dust. A lot of things can make the brakes squeak. Have they been checked?

I think mine idles around 1100 RPM. I'll have to watch for it again today.

In terms of the brakes, no, not checked yet. I have an oil change coming in a few weeks and I'm getting a little list together for them.

Thanks!

Idles at 1100 RPM? You mean it idles at that rate when WARM>? That is not right...

Idles at 1100 RPM? You mean it idles at that rate when WARM>? That is not right...

I was wrong. It is about 700 when stopped in Drive or in Park. Still some vibration in the pedal, though, so I'll have to have them check it out.

Very interesting information. Is this different than earlier years?....

The shop manual transmission theory indicates that all CX-5 automatics do this. It clearly works on my 2016 but is was harder for me to determine on my 2013 as it did not increase the idle when you eased off the brake but I think it did unload when brakes were applied in D.

yrwei52; Nothing new when stopped at idle comparing to conventional step AT.[/QUOTE said:
I have been driving automatic transmissions for over 50 years, both owned and rented, and the Mazda 2012 CX-5 was the first one that "goes into neutral" (unloads the torque converter) while in Drive and stopped that I have driven. If you read the CX-5 Shop Manual, Transmission Theory Section, it was part of the new SkyActiv-Drive AT that is touted as a new fuel saving design so that it does not waste energy slipping the torque converter stopped while the brake is applied. The downside is a slight delay while the transmission is engaging while you take you foot of the brake and place it on the gas pedal. The newer model raises the idle slightly when the brake is released in anticipation of the throttle increase to minimize this effect.

Last edited:
Just chiming in that I've got a 2016 with about 18k miles that has terrible idle. I'm headed into the shop anyway, so I will have them look at it; but when at a stand still, either at startup or a stop light, I get dips and surges that almost feel like it will stall but it never does. Kind of strange with so few miles. It has been doing this for the past 1.5k miles. While in motion, all is smooth as silk.

Just chiming in that I've got a 2016 with about 18k miles that has terrible idle. I'm headed into the shop anyway, so I will have them look at it; but when at a stand still, either at startup or a stop light, I get dips and surges that almost feel like it will stall but it never does. Kind of strange with so few miles. It has been doing this for the past 1.5k miles. While in motion, all is smooth as silk.

Thanks for the response.

Mine isn't very rough but I can feel a bit in the brake pedal. When yours is doing this, does your vehicle surge forward a little bit when at a stop?

I'm starting to lean towards motor/transmission mount issues....

Thanks for the response.

Mine isn't very rough but I can feel a bit in the brake pedal. When yours is doing this, does your vehicle surge forward a little bit when at a stop?

I'm starting to lean towards motor/transmission mount issues....

I never thought of it as a tranny surge but I will pay more attention today on the way home. I think it is just a rough idle at this point.

If it were me I'd be at the dealer asap. The idle should be rock solid, no movement on the tachometer. Mine lands on 700 and doesn't move until I give it gas.
Don't let them tell you it's normal, it's not. If they do demand to get into another 16 on the lot and compare them.

The transmission downshift you feel while stopped is normal and has been noticed by others.

At a stop can the lurch be caused by the transmission?.. because well the car is at a stop. If on, the AC compressor would load the engine causing the idle changes. Happens to every single car I owned. In fact if it does not happen I would be concerned.

OP, try idling while there is no heater/AC on at all. If you still get idling issues then check with the dealer.

If you're talking about coming to a stop (slowing down) then expect to have some downshifting lurches from time to time.

Latest posts

Back