Picking up my CX-9 on Monday, what do you do first?

ZoomZoomRider

:
2017 Mazda CX-9
Hi, I am new here. Also this is my first Mazda, first brand new car. It's a 2017 Mazda CX-9 GT with Premium package. I read a lot about it before I decided to go with it. A few things bugged me when I last saw the salesman. He asked me whether should I get the rush proofing done which is a one-time payment and 10 years warranty. Reminded me of people posting rust issues on their Mazdas. It was about $1000 CAD. So I didn't know if that's even reasonable as I have no experience in this sort of things. So I decided to not take it. Is it that big of a deal to get it done asap? Like first month ASAP? or we're talking about rusting happening after 1-2 years of use? I live in Toronto, ON. Canada so I'll need it for sure.

What are the basic maintenances that I should keep it mind to do to keep the car as top performance as it can be?

Thank you for reading.

Hi, I am new here. Also this is my first Mazda, first brand new car. It's a 2017 Mazda CX-9 GT with Premium package. I read a lot about it before I decided to go with it. A few things bugged me when I last saw the salesman. He asked me whether should I get the rush proofing done which is a one-time payment and 10 years warranty. Reminded me of people posting rust issues on their Mazdas. It was about $1000 CAD. So I didn't know if that's even reasonable as I have no experience in this sort of things. So I decided to not take it. Is it that big of a deal to get it done asap? Like first month ASAP? or we're talking about rusting happening after 1-2 years of use? I live in Toronto, ON. Canada so I'll need it for sure.

What are the basic maintenances that I should keep it mind to do to keep the car as top performance as it can be?

Thank you for reading.

Good for you for not taking the rustproofing...these are just tactics by dealers to get you to pay more for more profits on their end. If you really want rust proofing done on your vehicle then you can get it done on your vehicle from 3rd parties for much cheaper (like $125)...other thing to consider is that all new vehicles are already rust proofed or zinc coated from factory so really no need to apply any rust coating...but if you must do for your peace of mind then have it applied underneath vehicle due to the harsh winters/road salt etc that goes on in your area - again is much cheaper than the $1000 that dealer charges! Congrats on your new car!

you need to tint it ASAP, esp the front windshield, get as much UV/heat protection as you can.

Good for you for not taking the rustproofing...these are just tactics by dealers to get you to pay more for more profits on their end. If you really want rust proofing done on your vehicle then you can get it done on your vehicle from 3rd parties for much cheaper (like $125)...other thing to consider is that all new vehicles are already rust proofed or zinc coated from factory so really no need to apply any rust coating...but if you must do for your peace of mind then have it applied underneath vehicle due to the harsh winters/road salt etc that goes on in your area - again is much cheaper than the $1000 that dealer charges! Congrats on your new car!
How long do those 3rd party services are good for? The way the guy at the dealer explained to me was 3rd parties' ones last a year and since theirs is 1 time for 10 years warranty for $1000.
you need to tint it ASAP, esp the front windshield, get as much UV/heat protection as you can.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be interested in that.

I pickup my 17 signature yesterday and it in a shop to get tinted and paint protection film installed in the whole front. I also skipped the rust protection as well. In our Toronto weather, I think of getting the car wash pass each winter and skipping the rust protection.

I got mine from Mazda Toronto,you?

I pickup my 17 signature yesterday and it in a shop to get tinted and paint protection film installed in the whole front. I also skipped the rust protection as well. In our Toronto weather, I think of getting the car wash pass each winter and skipping the rust protection.

I got mine from Mazda Toronto,you?
Same, from Mazda Toronto as well. :eek:
You mean front windows? Tinting front windshield is illegal in Canada.

That's what I thought too. Lol. I was like "isn't that illegal???" in my mind...

Same, from Mazda Toronto as well. :eek:

That's what I thought too. Lol. I was like "isn't that illegal???" in my mind...

Did you deal with Jeff? I did all my purchase over the phone and email.

They don't have the Mazda premium liner, so I order the Weathertech from CT. CT said it 6 weeks backorder :(

Thank you for reading.

Hi contrats! I too am from Toronto. I have a Signature, picked it up last August.
I am an engineering professional in automotive, worked for OEMs (body and exteriors) and now with tier suppliers. In regards to rustproofing, it is a good idea to do if you plan to own the vehicle for a long time.... BUT don't do it from the dealership-OVERPRICED and they only do the initial application....the best protection I have seen is the yearly application from krown or rust/check... use the black undercoating on the frames and yellow dripless oil inside all the doors/tailgate and crevices.

Since you are picking it up on Monday, don't worry about your first application until this fall...then continue to do it on an annual basis.

As for maintenance... follow the maintenance schedule. USE synthetic oil (5W30) ..the manual does not state synthetic is a must. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30.

Follow the break in recommendation in the manual right after you pick it up.

enjoy!

Hi contrats! I too am from Toronto. I have a Signature, picked it up last August.
I am an engineering professional in automotive, worked for OEMs (body and exteriors) and now with tier suppliers. In regards to rustproofing, it is a good idea to do if you plan to own the vehicle for a long time.... BUT don't do it from the dealership-OVERPRICED and they only do the initial application....the best protection I have seen is the yearly application from krown or rust/check... use the black undercoating on the frames and yellow dripless oil inside all the doors/tailgate and crevices.

Since you are picking it up on Monday, don't worry about your first application until this fall...then continue to do it on an annual basis.

As for maintenance... follow the maintenance schedule. USE synthetic oil (5W30) ..the manual does not state synthetic is a must. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30.

Follow the break in recommendation in the manual right after you pick it up.

enjoy!

Wow! Thank you so much for the recommendation for the oil (and the rust service recommendation). I'll note it down. I have another question about the paint. I want to keep the car looking shiny at all times (at least most of the times). Since I got a black color I know when there's wet and the car dries back, it'll look dirty. I have a black sedan and it's so dirty everytime there was rain or snowed the night before and if I used it that day. So I was searching how to keep the car looking clean even after those conditions. I've came across some people applying water-repellent coating on the paint. So I'm assuming if water don't get stick on the paint and falls of right away, there won't be any dirty look and the car will look shiny most of the time. Do you think this logic makes sense? Do you recmmend doing this?

Or if there's a better way to keep it shiny all the time, please let me know.

Wow! Thank you so much for the recommendation for the oil (and the rust service recommendation). I'll note it down. I have another question about the paint. I want to keep the car looking shiny at all times (at least most of the times). Since I got a black color I know when there's wet and the car dries back, it'll look dirty. I have a black sedan and it's so dirty everytime there was rain or snowed the night before and if I used it that day. So I was searching how to keep the car looking clean even after those conditions. I've came across some people applying water-repellent coating on the paint. So I'm assuming if water don't get stick on the paint and falls of right away, there won't be any dirty look and the car will look shiny most of the time. Do you think this logic makes sense? Do you recmmend doing this?

Best way to keep your car clean at all times is to clean it yourself (manually by hand and not those automatic carwashes)...I also had a black vehicle prior to my Mazda which was really hard to maintain (clean at all times and black shows all those swirls) all vehicles incl Mazda already has their clear coats/paint coats applied from factory so any type of paint protection or coating applied IMO is just an added expense that over time wears thin/off. I had the paint protection applied on mine previously and regretted it as there really wasn't a prolonged protection on the paint and just wore off after time. Periodic application of wax also helps maintain the luster and shinyness of your vehicle...other thing to consider after spending money on paint protection is if another car dings your car that will involve bodywork/repainting so you'll either have to do it again which cost $ or maybe just forego it - although the chances of an accident will of course be lesser

Last edited:

I have had success with handwashes and application of either Zaino or Klasse every 6 months

cheers

ZoomZoomRider....I forgot to mention... when getting rustproof.... DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DRILL HOLES!
Use the existing holes that are available only

cheers

Same boat here. Just picked up my CX-9 Signature. The first thing is I drove it all around the area! Great vehicle. Need to read the manual and learn stuff, but wow, price for value is good compared to competition. Glad I went Signature; love the LED grill, rosewood, and ambient lighting. The adaptive cruise control is more useful than I had anticipated.

Thinking of writing a longer review as I get more familiar with it.

Poke your head under the car, and in the wheel wells, and note the fibrous sound panels, and plastic aero trays underneath. A bad rust proof shop will just spray all this and move on: not helping you much.
A good shop will find ways to get in between these, or maybe even remove them to get underneath. It would likely cost you more labor, though.
As others said: don't let them drill the doors/jambs.

Thank you for reading.

Not sure about the color you have but I had a LOT of rail dust (little rust spots, usually occurring during ocean transport) on my Snowflake white. I had to do a thorough cleaning with a clay bar (followed by a nice coat of wax). On a side note I never had a new car with the paint so rough at delivery (but I don't like dealer to detail, I prefer to do it myself as they ALWAYS put wax on the black plastic trim parts). I also need to remove the marks of adhesive left by protective film on piano black interior trim pieces.

Back