New 2017+ Specific CX-5 Section?

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
The 2013-2016.5 versus 2017 CX-5 are vastly different enough that it should have its own section. I'm sure the issues, parts, etc differentiate enough not to associate with the previous gen. Perhaps a specific section may be helpful once the 2017 posts start flooding in. Much more defined searches can be possible as well.

Meh....didn't C&D say the same motor carries over? Same with Navi? Essentially it's cosmetic with new features?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I think at this stage it will just be flooded with non owners. Most of the mechanical components aren't going to be different so it may end up as a unnecessary draw from the gen 1 cx-5 forum. The gen segregated Mazda 6 and 3 forums ended up merged for a low post among the individual as well. The Cx-3 forum isn't very active and it's been around for over a year. Not sure if a gen 2 cx-5 thread would actually be beneficial. We'll see if Antoine makes one.

I'd love a separate forum. I have to tease out all of the 2017 model threads now. The mechanical components are not the same, or at least it isn't clear which are and aren't.

Yes a separate forum would be great!

What parts are shared between the 2 cars besides the motor and drive trains>? It is an all new car!

Navi is different unit, but same system type.

That seems a silly idea. It's a CX-5 and, in 6 months time, the 2017 new car smell will subside and we'll all be back to just owning CX-5s.

That seems a silly idea. It's a CX-5 and, in 6 months time, the 2017 new car smell will subside and we'll all be back to just owning CX-5s.

Anyone with an eyesight better than a Fangtooth fish can differentiate between 16 and 17. So no we won't all be back to owning CX-5. 17s will be current. We will be older generation

Its not that it looks different, its that most/all of the parts are different.

Its not that it looks different, its that most/all of the parts are different.

This and more. When you actually look at the two cars side by side, you realize that they are very different. The 2017's longer hood and lower body means that the entire body was redesigned. Nice bigger windows in the rear. Doors are shaped differently. The interiors are very different. I'd say there are roughly as many differences between a 2017 and a dinosaur model ;) than between either CX5 and a CX 3. I don't care whether there is a separate area (although I lean pro), but if there isn't, we'll have to differentiate.

This and more. When you actually look at the two cars side by side, you realize that they are very different. The 2017's longer hood and lower body means that the entire body was redesigned. Nice bigger windows in the rear. Doors are shaped differently. The interiors are very different. I'd say there are roughly as many differences between a 2017 and a dinosaur model ;) than between either CX5 and a CX 3. I don't care whether there is a separate area (although I lean pro), but if there isn't, we'll have to differentiate.

Apart from the set of things that have changed between the years, these are both CX5s and the vast majority of things related to CX5s still apply to both cars. By segregating by year, people who buy next year's model may also want another section for 2018 at which point someone who wants to keep up with CX5s needs to go through all three sections with fewer overall posts than one big section with all the posts. I feel it may be better to just keep these all separate and maybe make a sticky post that people should put the year in the title of the post if they're talking about a particular year's model. That way you only need to go to one section to see everything related to the car we all are so passionate about.

Mazda also thinks that it is different enough to warrant a completely different VIN PREFIX.

2012-2016 is KE
2017-up is KF

You like boring groups with little activity?

Because that's how we make a group boring and with little activity.

I think it's premature

You like boring groups with little activity?

Because that's how we make a group boring and with little activity.

I think it's premature

For activities sake you are correct.
However for clarity, ease of finding information and answering questions it would be very helpful.
Of course even more helpful would be if everyone listed what vehicle they owned or were talking about.

Let me clarify, I think the Lounge and most of the sections are fine as is. I can understand the OPs concerns, especially for folks doing mods, or having specific issues related to the 2017 (it really is that different), and possibly needing a sub area. It might not get heavy traffic, but I believe that's the same with the other areas as well... most of us would still come here.

Back