Opinions on this 5sp MT for my P5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey everyone,

My 2002 P5's manual transmission is junk, and I've been looking for a new (used) one to drop in. My local junkyards don't seem to have these transmissions in stock very often, and most other places I look seem to be steep on their prices.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I've found this on ebay. It's from a 95 Ford Probe 2.0, and apparently has only 50k miles on it. This all sounds great, since the Probe trans is a direct bolt on as long as the both cars have or don't have abs. My worry is that there is only one picture one the transmission, and it isn't a great picture, and that 50k seems really low for a car that old. My P5 has 75k atm, so I'm really looking to stay as close to that mileage as possible when buying from places like ebay. What do you guys think of the ebay ad? Should I jump on it, or leave it?

I would like to get a trans as soon as possible because this car is supposed to be my daily, and I'm putting more miles than I care for on my Mustang. Plus, I miss the go cart like handling of the P5 haha.

Anyone selling, or know of anyone who is selling manual trans that will fit the P5? I've tried using the search tool and looking at the marketplace section, but not with much luck.

75k and your transmission is junk?? Your transmission probably never had oil in it from new! (lol2)

Did u try looking at the Mazda 626 ?

Yes, I've tried the Mazda 626, Ford probe, and Mazda Protege. I guess there aren't many around me, and the ones I have seen are typically well above 150k miles. I don't have the ability to make longer drives to go get parts at the moment.

have you tried www.car-part.com ? Any time i need to find something in the scrap yard that's what i use.

I haven't tried them yet, I'll take a look when I have time.

75k and your transmission is junk?? Your transmission probably never had oil in it from new! (lol2)

That's what I was thinking! That, I'm having to replace the valve seals, and the A/C went out when I first got it! The A/C is fixed though. I'm finding out this is not the greatest example of a P5. (lol2)

I saw one on craigslist in Houston for $200

If only I had the time to drive to Houston to pick it up (drive2)

That's what I was thinking! That, I'm having to replace the valve seals, and the A/C went out when I first got it! The A/C is fixed though. I'm finding out this is not the greatest example of a P5. (lol2)

I'm thinking your P5 has had it's dash cluster swapped at some point in time. Don't think 75K is it's original miles. (shady)

Back