Left vs Right Side Engine Air Filter

:
2013 CX5-GS, AWD
Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but I'm going to ask anyway! I was recently cleaning my MAF as it was causing problems and I decided to check the engine air filter.

It was pretty clean (changed 15,000 km ago) but I noticed that Mazda has stamped it LEFT and RIGHT on each side. The dealer would have replaced this last. Anyway, the side marked RIGHT was facing the driver's side of the car and LEFT was facing the passenger side.

Now, it's rectangular and it seems to fit either way, wouldn't the left side face the driver's side of the car, as seated, facing forward? It seems like the dealer put it in facing the wrong way. But then again, looking at the filter itself, I can't see any reason why it even matters left or right since it seems to fit equally well either way.

Anyone else been poking around their air filter recently and noticed the orientation and markings on the filter?

I was always taught that the left side of a vehicle is when you are sitting in the driver's seat, left is to your left and right is the opposite (passenger) side. I try never to use left or right when I communicate with the shop, I always say driver's side or passenger side. Seems less confusing at least in NA.

Anyway, does it really matter which way the air filter faces? Left or Right? (drive) - I'd think top or bottom would be more critical.

BTW, cleaning the MAF seems to have made a huge improvement in driveability, or maybe its because my filter now faces "LEFT" (rockon)

I don't know what to tell you about the left and right orientation of the filter but when you're talking about driver/passenger sides here you have to remember that some folks on this forum drive on the wrong side of the road and the driver actually sits on the right side of the vehicle. Crazy, I know.

I assume that the right side left side nomenclature is when viewed as I sit in the drivers seat. Other than that I can't think of another reason. ed

Back