My P5 build thread...

After closer inspection of my headers (removing the worn out heatwrap, super itchy now... stupid fiberglass), there is no OBX plate on them :( And the welds at the flange were leaking. Gonna have a friend re-tig the flange welds this weekend then theyre off to powder coating! Cannot wait to get them on the car!!! :D

Soooooooooo antsy to do my cams too!!!

changed my response, i think im gonna go with that nifty shiny, almost chrome reflective silver :) gonna have the intake manifold coated in a nice normal silver and the also the valve cover in a matte black (its spray painted right now and DOES NOT hold up well to anything abrasive)

now to replace those pesky air intake couplers with shiny new ones! ;) im dying to get my hands on that kick ass looking air box 505zoom use to make on here. i sent him a PM, but he never responded :( its really sad that the P5 days in the spotlight has come and gone. its such a neat little car!

im currently waiting on my new fuel pulsation damper to show up already! pretty sure thats whats causing my lean/pinging situation given mine is shot! if i can get the pinging problem sorted ill feel SO much better about my car... it has me really worried and has done since i bought this P5 a year ago! oh yeah, gotta reregister it next week too. thankfully i can do that online, im not use to that at all. my 240sx is registered as a classic car so i have to physically go into the DMV to renew the tags... but that wont happen til July
Just throw money at Matthew stutzke on facebook "Mazda Speed proteg enthusiast" you should be able to get it out of his hands

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

brand new fuel pulsation damper! installing it in the car ASAP!!!

18301540_10211686220062737_7371676054044348550_n.jpg

My Mazdaspeed/RacingBeat sway bars showed up today :D Now to get some AWR brackets to fix that pesky rear end clunk...

Im debating getting some shorter rear dampers from Godspeed so I can drop the car another inch. But they want something like $150 per damper. Debating on ditching the Godspeed coils and getting some Fortune Autos or BC Racing.

Header is off to a buddy of mine to be re-tigged, then its off to powder coating! Cant wait to have a shiny new header setup in my engine bay... gonna look titties :D Car is getting a lot peppier to drive now that the ECU is in and is relearning. Im really excited to get the new cams in in the next month or so! 160hp here I come hahahha

Last edited:
She's coming together! I drove around with horrible pinging for like 5 years on my old motor. Swapped out basically everything imaginable, and never solved it. Never tried the pulsation damper though, I'm curious to see if it fixes it. And that's too bad with the godspeeds, I wanna go shorter front struts someday, I'm satisfied with the yellowspeed rears.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Never tried the pulsation damper though, I'm curious to see if it fixes it.

well judging from what the RX7 guys have said, once they go out (which they are prone to doing after years of engine heat) they cause all kinds of annoying problems including lean conditions and lots of pinging! the last 2 days have been in the 70s here in town so ambient air temps arent getting hot enough to where the car goes into "pinging" mode like usual... itll be back up in the high 80s/low 90s by the weekend so ill be able to report my findings, plus i reset my ECU again after installing it given if the damper does fix the issue, the fuel maps wouldve been all out of whack with how lean it was running and what the O2 sensors were picking up!

now you make me want to replace both of mine as preventative maintenance

I found that really kick ass diffuser a load of people have been looking for. Probably gonna go pick one up soon!

PS: Still barely pushing 80deg today... supposed to be 91deg here in Friday, so Ill have an answer to report back with regarding the Fuel Pulsation Damper affecting the pinging!

how's that pinging issue going?

still persisting!!! money has been a little tight lately so i havent been able to get my MP3 intake manifold or the header i bought to powder coating yet. im going to redo all of the vacuum lines once the new intake manifold goes on as well as replacing the the intake manifold gasket + throttle body gasket with new units just to make 100% there are no vacuum leaks going on. im also going to swap out a bunch of sensors including brand new 02 sensors, cam angle sensor, crank sensor and any other sensors located on the intake manifold that are still in use (knock sensor was replaced less than a year ago so i know its not that)

Last edited:
just realized i forgot to update this thread...

my advans are finally stateside!!!! importer sent me a new pic ;) they should be here in the next 2 weeks!

19113849_10212024917609964_3863549330440099311_n.jpg

also... got my shark fin antenna mounted up!.

19145889_10212029167956220_618608601899893406_n.jpg

aaaaaaaaaand i finally got rid of the tint on the rear window that was all bubbled up and disgusting. i used a steamer and scraper with plastic blades to get the tint off. removed it in one piece. took about 45 min. rear defroster still works ;) gonna have it retinted at work this week (finally had my moon roof tinted during the week too). currently sanding down the hood and roof so i can wrap them matte black to cover up all the rock/salt chips and bad clear coat (car was from back east so i have little rust spots where the rock/salt chips are on the hood). will post pics when its all done.

19225416_10212029167516209_8711864139014740857_n.jpg

next big things up are to have my header jet hot coated, get tires for the advans, get my cams installed, fix my leaky valve stem seals aaaaaaaaaand get my custom YellowSpeed coilovers ordered (that i will most likely be offering to the Protege community via my website, they will have rear camber plates and im having shorter dampers used in the rear to allow for laying frame rail) ;) will also be ordering all of the rear Megan arms for the car when i pick up the YellowSpeeds... oh and adjustable rear sway bar links so i can get that pesky RacingBeat sway bar installed!!!

Last edited:
got my OBX header back from powder coating today! jet hot silver coating is a GO!!!! cant wait to get it installed in the car finally! :D

19665365_10212233806352052_304593055217344188_n.jpg

Back