My P5 build thread...

Called it! I knew the muffler flange was wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

no worries man :) i think im going to have to have the muffler flange re-welded and fixed just so I have brand new piping bolted up... plus its larger than the OE pipe. but ill worry about that later. At least I have the piping that can be re-welded.

Yeah it's no big deal, just annoying. There is no reason why they shouldn't match up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MISHIMOTO RADIATOR + THERMOSTAT AND SAMCO HOSES INSTALLED
INSTALLED 2 PADDED CABLE CLAMPS ON LEFT SIDE OF VALVE COVER

18118769_10211541853293658_7303281786327236380_n.jpg

STI FRONT LIP INSTALLED
18057752_10211541850773595_3038763520016564895_n.jpg

18056411_10211541852293633_3017361107383327905_o.jpg

CUT DOWN ENDS AND MADE END CAPS FOR STI LIP
18033827_10211541851733619_1373647258461792785_n.jpg

RANDOM PHOTOS
18076750_10211541851133604_2011929788349352179_o.jpg

18033833_10211541851373610_6685304133562052892_n.jpg

Last edited:
That lip modification is perfect. I'm still considering if I should slap on my old msp headlights.

honestly, that lip was a b**** to mount, and it sits slightly further in on the drivers side... i DO NOT want to correct it either lol. it was a cheap $40 lip i bought off ebay and the drivers side had a nasty defect in it. the lip buckled at one point in time during storage and sat that way for a long time. the defect was very difficult to get out, had to use a torch while mounting the stupid thing. i produce polyurethane S13 Silvia Aero Bumpers in my DorkiDori product line, and ive gotten very use to dealing with polyurethane... this lip was just CRAP!!! buuuuuuuuuut its on the car for the time being, i may change it out to an OE Mazdaspeed front lip when i have the car painted down the line. but for now, it looks fairly decent :)

PS: the pinging issue still persists, even with a much better and more efficient radiator + thermostat combo. im now 100% convinced its the tune on the ECU. next big mod is getting my MP3 intake manifold on the car and the MP3 tune for my ECU. pretty sure the factory ECU was never tuned for higher intake and engine bay temps, especially in places like where i live (Las Vegas). i just hope that after years of abuse, the cylinder walls arent scarred to s***!

Last edited:
Just scored an FSZE intake cam for $140 shipped! Camshaft set is complete! Now I just need to get a Spicytune MP3 reflash and its on!!! Oh, gonna splurge for an OBX header instead of using that ceramic coated eBay header I bought... Anyone want an eBay header? Its brand new, and I'm also gonna sell off that eBay cat back I bought too!

What exactly was the issue with the ebay axle back? I am planning to get another P5 and may be getting a new exhaust for it, the ebay was an option I was considering.

And is the ebay header a bad fit as well?

the ebay axle backs muffler flange is a different angle than the OE flange. it would have to be cut off and rewelded in order to work with my OBX axleback (which is made to work with stock piping)

dont know if the ebay header is a bad fit, would rather just buy something that i know is gonna work right the first time seeing as OBX headers have had a ton of reviews around the web for the Protege and damn near all of them are good and mention them holding up for a long time.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Spicy MP3 tuned ECU for the car! :D

Next up is to get an OBX header... anyone want a ceramic coated ebay header? its brand new, never installed. Also have that eBay catback i bought for sale too!

Just ordered a Spicy MP3 tuned ECU for the car! :D

Next up is to get an OBX header... anyone want a ceramic coated ebay header? its brand new, never installed. Also have that eBay catback i bought for sale too!
Put the obx on facebook Mazda protege parts MPP

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ive had my catback on there for 3 days... $130 shipped, its brand spanking new. i took the mid pipe section out of the box, mocked it up on the car, found out the flange was wrong and stuck it back in the box and im STILL waiting for someone to buy the stupid thing. ill get some pics of the ceramic coated header and post it for sale tonight.

Got my Spicytuned MP3 ECU installed today... buuuuuuuut the pinging problem still persists and has gotten worse post ECU install! I think Ive narrowed it down to a bad fuel pulsation damper (seeing as this is the only piece of fuel delivery bits I havent replaced). Long story short, the screw in it was damn near ready to fall out when I knocked the cap off one day about 6 months ago! I tightened the little bugger down and come to find out that if you adjust it AT ALL, you ruin it... or if the screw comes loose its ruined... or if you look at it wrong its ruined! The RX7 guys have some extensive knowledge about fuel pulsation dampers as I did a bit of light reading via RX7 boards while diagnosing the issue with an insanely talented Mazda Protege tuner I met on Facebook. Seems that when the pulsation damper fails, it creates an extremely LEAN condition... and on RX7s this is especially bad since it basically leans out rotor #1 and then you say bye bye to apex seals. So Ive ordered myself a brand spankin new pulsation damper and it should be here early next week *fingers crossed*. Will report back with an update once installed and driven on for a bit!

In the mean time, heres a pic of that super spicy-tuned ECU ;)

18221876_10211641408022464_5955717794543669911_n.jpg

Last edited:
changed my response, i think im gonna go with that nifty shiny, almost chrome reflective silver :) gonna have the intake manifold coated in a nice normal silver and the also the valve cover in a matte black (its spray painted right now and DOES NOT hold up well to anything abrasive)

now to replace those pesky air intake couplers with shiny new ones! ;) im dying to get my hands on that kick ass looking air box 505zoom use to make on here. i sent him a PM, but he never responded :( its really sad that the P5 days in the spotlight has come and gone. its such a neat little car!

im currently waiting on my new fuel pulsation damper to show up already! pretty sure thats whats causing my lean/pinging situation given mine is shot! if i can get the pinging problem sorted ill feel SO much better about my car... it has me really worried and has done since i bought this P5 a year ago! oh yeah, gotta reregister it next week too. thankfully i can do that online, im not use to that at all. my 240sx is registered as a classic car so i have to physically go into the DMV to renew the tags... but that wont happen til July

Last edited:
Back