My P5 build thread...

You can shave lots off it too. I had one that I shaved and completely sanded smooth.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

haha im kidding. i think it looks good as is

no worries man... honestly id like to take it an inch or two lower, but like i said those stupid ebrake cable brackets are in the way :( ill worry more about it when i get the wheels on the car. just trying to get my hands on an FSZE intake cam as id like to finish up all the little motor mods before anything else... also need to install new valve stem seals as im sure mine are shot and are contributing to my oil consumption issue (which is roughly 1 1/2 qts a month)

ive read in quite a few places that the car runs like filthy ass when its in start up mode without VTCS on a standard FS-DE ECU.

regardless, i paid $120 shipped for it and im gonna have it powder coated all nice n purty ;) i want the MP3 tune seeing as im trying to hunt down an FS-ZE intake cam and im gonna pick up a Corksport exhaust cam soon... plus ill have a full brand new exhaust from the headers to the muffler soon as well. would like a little bump in HP with the MP3 tune, especially since it does make full use of the Corksport cam + full exhaust ;)
I have had VTCS deleted on both of my MSPs for years now, never noticed any difference in cold or warm starts with them deleted. Not sure where you heard that.

As for the ECU, the MP3 had the same cams as every other USDM FSDE. It has slightly more advanced timing but this can also be achieved with adjustable cam gears. The ZE/CS cams have longer duration and a bit more lift.

I paid $240 for a lightly used ZE intake cam and a brand-new never installed CS exhaust cam. The ZE cams are not worth more than $120 or so.

Last edited:
VTCS and VICS dont affect MSP because its a turbocharged engine... N/A FS is a different story from everything ive read (and ive done A LOT of reading on the subject).

from my understanding, the MP3 had a slightly different duration exhaust cam than the standard DE. basically pairing the FSZE intake cam with the FSDE MP3 exhaust cam plus MP3 tune gives roughly a 7-10hp bump as well as gives a slightly broader power band overall. ill know soon enough though ;) should have everything together and on the car in the next month or so!

FSZE cams are so expensive because DRIFT TAX! lol ;)

was just informed by Hydra Motorsports today that they will be making me some special blue parts for my P5 ;) cant wait to get em on my car soon! new radiator setup is supposed to be showing Monday... guess i know what ill be doing after work!!!

also, update to the pinging issue. Hydra seems to have tracked down the issue being its Mazdas factory tune on the FS-DE 2.0 N/A ECU tune... they told me the MP3 tune should alleviate the issue altogether! so i have a feeling i will be getting with Spicyorange very soon!

VTCS and VICS dont affect MSP because its a turbocharged engine... N/A FS is a different story from everything ive read (and ive done A LOT of reading on the subject).

from my understanding, the MP3 had a slightly different duration exhaust cam than the standard DE. basically pairing the FSZE intake cam with the FSDE MP3 exhaust cam plus MP3 tune gives roughly a 7-10hp bump as well as gives a slightly broader power band overall. ill know soon enough though ;) should have everything together and on the car in the next month or so!

FSZE cams are so expensive because DRIFT TAX! lol ;)

That isn't true at all, the car isn't under boost on a cold start, how would it make any difference with the VTCS? The flaps work the same on both engines.

The MP3 has the same FSD7 cams as every other US FSDE, same cams your P5 has. The Corskport aftermarket exhaust cam mimics the JDM FSZE intake cam specs, but the MP3 exhaust cam is the same one you already have in your car.

my misunderstanding for calling the Mazdaspeed cam the MP3 cam... here are the specs on both cams (intake and exhaust)

1) Corksport exhaust cam is an upgrade for the existing FSDE exhaust cam... this is pulled directly from Corksports website regarding their exhaust cam

Camshaft specs are 241 degrees at .003", 8.6487mm of lift. This camshaft is the same profile as the Japanese Mazdaspeed Famila version 1, before the TSB with 17.5 degrees of overlap.

2) here is information i found via this thread regarding the FSZE intake cam

If you own a car with a 1.8 or 2.0 liter engine, you can get a factory intake cam from the JDM FS-ZE engine (which has a lift of .341 and the duration 210 @.050). A short run of MazdaSpeed exhaust cams was also recently made available for that engine and has a lift of .341, and the duration of 210 @.050. The early version of the MazdaSpeed exhaust cam (FS9P-12-440) supposedly performs better (by about 1-1.5% @6000rpm) than the revised version. A TSB was issued in Japan concerning stalling/idling issues under cold engine and/or cold weather situations and thus the exhaust cam timing had to be reduced slightly in order to decrease over- lap from 17.5 to 10.5.

Note that the stock intake cam has lift of .341 and a duration of 198 @.050. while the stock exhaust cam has lift of .322 and a duration of 200 @.050. Part numbers as follows: FS-ZE intake cam: FSH9-12-420

in retrospect, the exhaust on the MP3 is supposedly a higher flowing exhaust than the standard Protege/P5 models due to the added timing in the ECU to eek out another 10hp.

Last edited:
An increase in ignition timing isn't going to make the exhaust flow better. Increased timing and higher octane fuel is what causes the increase in power, plus the deleted VTCS. The Exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust was the same on the MP3, except for the axle back/muffler which isn't going to make a difference in power, 1-2hp max.

Either way you will get more power with the cams and ECU, but it will require premium fuel. You can't run 87 with the MP3 ECU.

FWIW with a simple T25 turbo set up you will get more bang for your buck.

ive been running 91 in the car since i bought it...

and im good with an N/A motor. already own an SR powered S13 with a GT28rs snail set to 12psi with an HKS wastegate actuator, so im good. the Protege is my daily and im happy just eeking out the power i can in its N/A form.

I know, just saying, you can drop money into an N/A build and won't get much out of it. Better off swapping in a JDM FSZE or throwing on an MSP turbo setup. Still won't make a lot of power compared to modern cars but it will be more fun.

...Better off swapping in a JDM FSZE or throwing on an MSP turbo setup...

again, want to stay N/A and keep the car smog legal. FSZE ECM is not smoggable. IF i go turbo ill buy a blown FSDE and rebuild the entire motor from the ground up with a forged lower end, slap an S15 GT28RS on the stupid thing with 720cc injectors and call it a day.

but im just going the N/A route for the time being. another 20hp out of my little FSDE and i will be perfectly happy with it... which a full exhaust, headers, upgraded cams, lightweight crank pulley, MP3 ECM tune, MP3 intake manifold, upgraded fuel rail, aeromotive FPR, better motor mounts, intake/throttle thermal spacers, maybe an OE HLSD and a rebuilt head should net me just fine. the car is fun the way it is for me... like i said, i have a damn near fully built S13 sitting my garage and if i want something with more power, i just drive it.

also its gotten to be quite fun learning how to drive a slow car fast ;)

Last edited:
again, want to stay N/A and keep the car smog legal. FSZE ECM is not smoggable. IF i go turbo ill buy a blown FSDE and rebuild the entire motor from the ground up with a forged lower end, slap an S15 GT28RS on the stupid thing with 720cc injectors and call it a day.

but im just going the N/A route for the time being. another 20hp out of my little FSDE and i will be perfectly happy with it... which a full exhaust, headers, upgraded cams, lightweight crank pulley, MP3 ECM tune, MP3 intake manifold, upgraded fuel rail, aeromotive FPR, better motor mounts, intake/throttle thermal spacers, maybe an OE HLSD and a rebuilt head should net me just fine. the car is fun the way it is for me... like i said, i have a damn near fully built S13 sitting my garage and if i want something with more power, i just drive it.

also its gotten to be quite fun learning how to drive a slow car fast ;)

there's a ballin ass header for sale on the protege for sale groups on facebook

there's a ballin ass header for sale on the protege for sale groups on facebook

i saw it... almost scored the exact one from Japan for $150, but I decided against it due to the missing secondary O2 bung. $450 is WAY too much for what it is. i still need to shell out the cash for an FSZE intake cam and another $150 for an MP3 tune to my ECU before it get super hot here in Vegas. My motor is already starting to ping like crazy after about 15-20 min of driving (were hitting mid to high 80s right now). my radiator + hoses + colder thermostat are showing up today so ill hopefully get everything done today after work (if not tomorrow).

you too huh. my p5 stopped doing it for a while and is starting to do it again. have you tried replacing the knock sensor?

you too huh. my p5 stopped doing it for a while and is starting to do it again. have you tried replacing the knock sensor?

yeeeeeeeeeeup! from what ive been told, its the factory tune on the ECU. im curious what will happen after i drop in the new radiator though given it will keep engine temps quite a bit lower as the thermostat is rated to 165deg instead of the factory 185deg. radiator + colder thermostat made a HUGE difference in my S13. normal operating temperatures RARELY get near 168-170deg (i have a 165deg NISMO thermostat in my S13 with Koyo 55mm aluminum radiator). being in Vegas, 10-15 degrees in normal operating temps make a big difference when its like 110+ outside!

when you get the mp3 ecu, did you plan on running higher octane or keeping it at 87? the ecu readjusts to lower octane

yeeeeeeeeeeup! from what ive been told, its the factory tune on the ECU. im curious what will happen after i drop in the new radiator though given it will keep engine temps quite a bit lower as the thermostat is rated to 165deg instead of the factory 185deg. radiator + colder thermostat made a HUGE difference in my S13. normal operating temperatures RARELY get near 168-170deg (i have a 165deg NISMO thermostat in my S13 with Koyo 55mm aluminum radiator). being in Vegas, 10-15 degrees in normal operating temps make a big difference when its like 110+ outside!
When you run under 160deg ecu will be open loop. I ran with different size washers trying to get the right temp.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

when you get the mp3 ecu, did you plan on running higher octane or keeping it at 87? the ecu readjusts to lower octane

the car has been run on 91 since the day i bought it due the pinging issue...

ive owned an S13 with SR swap for so long that all i ever use is 91 so i really dont care about the whopping $2.00 difference in the cost to fill up

Last edited:
Back