Manual Transmission with the diesel?

Would you like to row your own with the diesel?

• Yes, stick please! Zoom, zoom!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No thanks, I prefer my left leg muscles atrophy.

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
:
2018 3 Sport GT MANUAL
Since the manual transmission ship has largely sailed on all but the base model (and only in Canada) in North America, I'm curious to see how many people interested in the diesel version would entertain/prefer a stick with the diesel model when it arrives here.

Hopefully, with a positive response, Mazda (if they're not already) would consider the option when they bring the 2018 diesel over.

60d5d6d90a0d028a01162a9c065ea378.jpg

If I like SA-G 2.5L manual which one should I pick? (whistle)

I don't really want a stick in my CX-5, but I never like when options get taken away.

I think a stick should absolutely be an option for those who want it.

Diesels are going to be hit hard in Europe soon. More tighter regulations and emissions control, harsher penalties. I dont think Mazda will stay in diesels for that long.
Clean EVs or Hybrids are the way forward. VW really hurt the trust of EU nations.

America has little appetite for manuals, specially in cities with bad traffic where the prime customer base is.
A firm no to Diesel and no to manual.

My left leg is kept plenty busy by my Miata, my supermoto and my bicycle. No desire for stick in a CX5 (and I think it's probably a waste of money for Mazda to offer it, but if they could do it without affecting their bottom line of course it should be an option.)

I'm keeping an open mind on the diesel as I'm not going to be buying my CX5 until late fall / winter anyways. If the emissions on it are equivalent or better than the gas, if the gas mileage is substantially better and if it's significantly more capable to drive I'll do it but it has to be all three.

Nope, zero interest in a manual transmission crossover regardless of what engine you put in it.

Since the CX-5 is our family car and is mainly the car my wife drives, I would prefer it to be auto.

My wife and I both drive and prefer stick, so that's not an issue in my household.

Kaps, if you have no interest in the diesel or a stick... maybe this thread isn't for you? (lol)

My wife and I both drive and prefer stick, so that's not an issue in my household.

Kaps, if you have no interest in the diesel or a stick... maybe this thread isn't for you? (lol)
I still have to teach my wife to drive manual. However a Mazdaspeed3 with its tricky clutch is not really the best car to teach someone how to drive a manual, but it looks like she won't have a choice haha.

I still have to teach my wife to drive manual. However a Mazdaspeed3 with its tricky clutch is not really the best car to teach someone how to drive a manual, but it looks like she won't have a choice haha.
It has a tricky clutch?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I already have serious interest in the diesel and would snap up one with a manual trans. My Miata is winter stored so my left leg is under exercised for half the year. Note that although the auto is not a deal breaker (I already drive a '13 CX-5 GT) I was considering replacing the current CUV with a Mercedes GLC 300 last year until the Canadian diesel release was delayed. Presented with a choice between diesels in an auto GLC and a manual CX-5, I'd take the Mazda.

Brian

Until you get used to it, it is like an on-off switch. In comparison, the NC Miata clutch is a lot easier to use.

Sounds like my buddies old Dodge Shadow. Clutch had a wicked long travel, and when disengaging it didn't catch until you had released it about 98%. Simply awful and a pain whenever I borrowed his car.

And I have zero interest in a CX-5 without a manual transmission, regardless of what engine you put in it.

I already have serious interest in the diesel and would snap up one with a manual trans. My Miata is winter stored so my left leg is under exercised for half the year. Note that although the auto is not a deal breaker (I already drive a '13 CX-5 GT) I was considering replacing the current CUV with a Mercedes GLC 300 last year until the Canadian diesel release was delayed. Presented with a choice between diesels in an auto GLC and a manual CX-5, I'd take the Mazda.

Brian

Same here. Our CX5 and MZ3 are both MT. If the diesel comes in MT I'm definitely trading up.

Hopefully Mazda is paying attention to my pole here (drive2)

I realize we're probably not an overly accurate sample of the entire Mazda customer base, but if they brought over even 20-25% or something of the diesels with the stick...(yippy)

Sounds like my buddies old Dodge Shadow. Clutch had a wicked long travel, and when disengaging it didn't catch until you had released it about 98%. Simply awful and a pain whenever I borrowed his car.

I haven't tried the new clutch in a SkyActiv manual transmission equipped car... actually I did, in an ND Miata. Didn't have any complaints with that. So I assume if they ever put in a manual transmission on the upcoming CX-5 models, it should be okay.

My wife and I both enjoy driving manuals. We have been thinking about adding Civic Sport hatch with a manual, but if the CX-5 MT-6 diesel is announced, we'll hold off and have two Mazdas.

Diesel CX5 is coming in early fall/late summer in US.
Unlike those in other countries, ours will come with a urea tank.
This is 99% certain, unless something bad happens.

Stick shift? No words of that.

Back