Powder Coating Roof rack side rails?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Has anyone had their roof rack side rails powder coated for the first gen CX-5's? I seem to recall a few people having it done. I'm curious as to how they ended up getting the plastic end caps to match. There are very few shops that know how to powder coat plastic, many don't even know it can be done. And please don't tell me to "dip" the racks, I'm looking for a permanent solution and one that is durable since it's exposed to so much. I just want the entire three pieces per side to match. I could swear that there are those that have them powder coated. How was it done and what was the cost. Thanks

Powder coating plastic is not straightforward, not an expert in this area but imagine it would have to be UV cured to avoid temperature sensitivity. Not many shops will have that kind of capability. I brought my roof rails to a local auto shop and they sprayed them black using standard auto paint before I fitted them, cost only €100. Looks much better on my Arctic White CX-5 than the original silver would have. 18 months and 36,000Km later and they are still perfect ... and the West of Ireland is pretty exposed ;-)

I got my roof rack rails powder coated 6 months ago and had the end caps plastdipped. Matches pretty well and hasn't peeled yet.

Back