2018 Mazda CX-5 vs 2018 Chevy Equinox

I've never owned a domestically-branded vehicle and, after driving some examples as rentals, likely never will. Sometime in the '80s they issued me a Chevette. It was among the worst of the worst. More recently, I got the Chev HHR as a freebie rental and it was a joke.

I had heard some glowing reviews of the new Chevy Impala so when offered a 2016 Impala at a rental counter I decided to try it. Well, Chevy doesn't sell their new Impala to the rental fleets. They keep the old line in Ontario, CA running producing the 2013 model which is labeled as a 2016. I took it back to the agency and got it exchanged for a Nissan Altima.

Nicest rentals I've ever gotten were both Toyotas - one a Corolla and the other a Camry.

We'll acutally it looks like we get them in Europe.
This Danish car magazine was in Italy to test it and You can see the center vent open/close controls in one of the pictures (scroll down a bit)
http://bilmagasinet.dk/biltest/foerste-tur-ny-mazda-cx-5-er-klar-til-at-udfordre-konkurrenterne
Yes, that CX-5 does have open/close dial control on center vents! Really don't know why Mazda eliminated them from the US market? (uhm)

Also noticed one-touch auto up/down power window with illuminated switch is on all 4 windows!

mazda-cx-5_eu-version-2017-1600-a5-sOlWmDM62VtxAOgYCRb7Rw.jpg

Yes, that CX-5 does have open/close dial control on center vents! Really don't know why Mazda eliminated them from the US market? (uhm)

Also noticed one-touch auto up/down power window with illuminated switch is on all 4 windows!

Yeah, it's one of those weird differences depending on market.....very strange.
And it also has a CD-player ;)

We have both features here as standard across the range

Cause Mazda USA boffins don't think it's needed just like Mazda Australia boffins don't think we need heated rear seats or steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's one of those weird differences depending on market.....very strange.
And it also has a CD-player ;)
We don't have cell player here either because of more use of Bluetooth music streaming, Pandora as well as using the USB port to listen to MP3s.

Also Japan's version of the CX-5 can play DVD's.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Sat in a 2017 CX-5 Touring w/Premium pkg while stopping at my dealer w/a question last week. The new interior is hands-down better thought-out and comfortable, but I like the exterior and rims of my 2016 GT (even the sales guy agreed).

W/re: to Chevy, I owned a new style Impala for a short period of time and I was given (at no cost) an upgrade to a Camaro SS convertible last month while in FL. The engines are about the only thing I really loved about both cars. Having the available power (and lots of it in the SS) was nice. That's about the only thing missing for me in the CX-5...just a little more oomph. All this said, I would be hard-pressed to go back to Chevy or any domestic brand for that matter.

U.S. import taxes come to mind for me. I could be wrong but just about every major sedan and SUV in this class is made in the U.S. The CX-5 and Mazda6 are made in Japan. So to keep costs class competitive they had to cut corners in some places.

While the new equinox would be an improvement over the outgoing model (what wouldn't?) it still is unattractive inside and out. I don't know why GM and Ford insist on having their interiors look like what someone from the 80s imagines the future will look like. One of the reasons I like Mazda so much more than American or Japanese (Korean) brands is because it has a much more European design aesthetic. My new CX-5 interior looks more like an Audi or a BMW than it does a Honda or a Toyota.
My Father in law has the current equinox. Bleh! no way I'd buy one of those.

Looks to me like they're buttons in the dash right below the HVAC controls. It reads R, N, D from left to right. Guessing P is to the left out of sight... Possibly a Low setting far right.

You are indeed correct:

2018-gmc-terrain-shifter.jpg

The CX-5 interior seems to be far classier and much more though out.

You are indeed correct:

2018-gmc-terrain-shifter.jpg

The CX-5 interior seems to be far classier and much more though out.

Ewww...shift with...buttons?

No thanks. I prefer the gated shifter in my 2014 CX-5 to the new CX-5's, but damn, I'll take a newer CX-5 shifter over freaking buttons.

Ewww...shift with...buttons?

No thanks. I prefer the gated shifter in my 2014 CX-5 to the new CX-5's, but damn, I'll take a newer CX-5 shifter over freaking buttons.

2017 CX-5 shifter is within arms reach. You need to lean forward to reach the buttons on the Equinox

When the Park button is as big as the Drive, Neutral, and Reverse buttons combined you know you're driving a neuter-mobile.

I doubt there is a "market need".... more like designers just messing around with stuff to see what works, clicks, etc.

Having said that, the vehicle should certainly come with a caponizing kit.

I doubt there is a "market need".... more like designers just messing around with stuff to see what works, clicks, etc.

Having said that, the vehicle should certainly come with a caponizing kit.

"We spoke with one of the lead interior designers of the 2018 Terrain, and he stated the main reason to move any shifting duties away from the center stack was to fully utilize the space for customers. This means cupholder placement is incredibly convenient and ergonomics of other essentials are right in reach. GMC called the space prime real estate.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/01...s-to-push-button-gear-selector/#ixzz4edFmR3Mu

"We spoke with one of the lead interior designers of the 2018 Terrain, and he stated the main reason to move any shifting duties away from the center stack was to fully utilize the space for customers. This means cupholder placement is incredibly convenient and ergonomics of other essentials are right in reach. GMC called the space “prime real estate.”

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/01...s-to-push-button-gear-selector/#ixzz4edFmR3Mu

Since when have they been so concerned about ergonomics? Don't they have vehicles with the off-set steering wheels?

Therefore, the true reason is exposed: So that fatty Americans have room for a big gulp, or two.

(silly)

Since when have they been so concerned about ergonomics? Don't they have vehicles with the off-set steering wheels?

Therefore, the true reason is exposed: So that fatty Americans have room for a big gulp, or two.

(silly)

"I need my car to take in big gulps."

"Oh of Ram air intake right? yeah more air=more power"

"No dude more 7-11 big gulps"

" Yeah but your shifter is in the way"

"Not anymore, shifters were removed and replaced with buttons"

Back