2018 Mazda CX-5 vs 2018 Chevy Equinox

buckbumble

:
2015 VW Jetta TDI
In anticipation that there will be a 2018 CX5 Diesel and 2018 Diesel Equinox for those of us who do over 200km commutes per day. I am going to be participating in the VW buyback program and have put something like 182,000KM's on my Jetta TDI since April 2015 brand new.

Curious if anyone's been cross shopping these two current model CUV's and what their thoughts are? Even if it's just the gasoline variants I'd still be very interested.

Really could use something more comfortable than the Jetta's seat, any thoughts on the CX5 to Jetta comfort comparison or better yet what the CX5 and Equinox comfort are like? Lumbar support is also a plus.

Ground Clearance and seating position (legs like sitting in a truck not splayed forward like in a car) are also more important to me than they used to be.
2017 CX5 ground clearance: 7.2" loaded. 7.5" unloaded
2018 Equinox ground clearance: 6.9"
2015 Jetta ground clearance: 5.2"

I just can't imagine buying a Chevy. It seems the complete antithesis to all I love about Mazda's design philosophy. My mother has a Chevy HHR, and every time I touch it, it pisses me off. Mazda looks for ways to improve things you can't even see. Chevy looks for ways to cut corners, even on critical parts you touch every day like the cheap plastic door handles with sharp interior corner stress concentration guaranteed to break. And they don't sell the handle as a stand-alone part. You have to buy the whole inner door panel.

I once rented a Chevy Terrain in Columbus, Ohio, United States of America.
It had so many buttons in the center console - by the time i returned it i got a professional pilot license. So now whenever i fly - I am like give me 30% off and i will fly the plane too. No meal service though shucks.

I haven't driven a chevy, but I'd say test drive them both relatively close together and see what you like. The lumbar support in the CX-5 is nice. I am a former VW Jetta TDI owner and I think the CX-5 is more comfortable. Mileage wasn't high on my priority list this time around. I wanted AWD for the winters. I'm very happy with my 16.5 CX-5 touring so far.

About the only thing in that interior pic of the Chevy that the CX-5 lacks is those vent open/close controls for the center vents. (Do the 2017's have those now?)

Although old news,interestingly Chevrolet pulled out of the European market (including the UK) last year with only variants of the Camero and Corvette on sale with only 6 new car dealers covering the whole of the UK. I've sat in various European Chevrolet models and thought the interiors were rubbish full of creaky plastic. Not Camero or Corvette though as I would never be able to afford the fuel and insurance cost, never mind the purchase price(shocked)

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/owners-area/important-customer-information.html

GM's all-new 2018 Chevy Equinox is well designed and offers 3 engines (1.5L turbo、2.0L turbo、and a 1.6L turbo-diesel) matched with GMs new nine-speed automatic transmission. Its MyLink infotainment system with 7 or 8" screen supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. And it also offers all the safety features CX-5 with i-ActivSense has. As the no. 5 best-selling compact CUV in the US, sold 242,195 units in 2016, this new 2018 Chevy Equinox will be a close competitor to our new 2017 CX-5! Personally I still don't have enough confidence on GM's reliability, but it seems to be improved in recent years.

With this GM 1.6L LH7 turbo diesel in 2018 Equinox, it becomes the compact SUV segments first turbo-diesel in North America, not upcoming CX-5 SA-D 2.2L diesel! Yes, urea-based Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is required on GM's 1.6L diesel like Mazda's 2.2L diesel.

About the only thing in that interior pic of the Chevy that the CX-5 lacks is those vent open/close controls for the center vents. (Do the 2017's have those now?)
No, said in another thread.

Chevy has become significantly better in recent years. This 2018 Equinox is much improved compared with the previous gen.
While the previous gen was on the ignore list, this new one should be considered seriously.
The 1.6L Diesel is similar to the one in the Cruze, I believe would be a much less attractive contender compared with the 2.2D, with lower HP, lower torque and similar fuel economy (though we need a bit more patience to be sure).

...Personally I still don't have enough confidence on GM's reliability, but it seems to be improved in recent years....

I've been hearing this for at least 20 years, but every time I actually experience one ... still crap.

The 2018 model would want to be a a big improvement over the earlier models - i think we get a version of it here in Aus, sold currently as the GM-Holden Captiva.

The 2014-2016 versions where not in the same State as the CX5, let alone the same ballpark..... plastic cheap old style interior, slushy steering, sluggish performance, poor handling, horrible fuel economy from the 6 cyl models. I could go on.

Only redeeming feature was the ilink entertainment system, which seems to work well. Everything else - lower end of the scale. Loooooower.

Check out the 2018 GMC Terrain, it comes with the same diesel engine and IMO looks much nicer. Most Chevy's I've been in(excluding the Corvette and Camaro) feel like cheap rentals cars to me.

Hey, at least it has open/close dial control on center dash vents ⋯ (whistle)
I'll give it credit for that as that is something I wish my CX-5 had.

But beyond that, that interior looks cheap and butt ugly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back