Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions regarding the bose system on the 17 cx-5

Registered Member

CX5

I use to have an aftermarket audio system in my previous ride, SEAS Ref speakers, Butler hybrid tubes etc. I guess I also expect a smooth frequency response but given that the car has the worst listening environment, I shifted to home audio. Plus it's just so difficult to do critical listening while driving and talking to someone over the phone.

But it's just me. My dos centavos.

Registered Member
    Contributor

2017 CX-5 GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by ColtX-5 View Post
    I most certainly AM, for what the tech package costs and since the amp has (and probably has to have) EQ built-in. No excuse not to make it flat. Don't like good, turn the tone controls! I am used to very high quality sound at home. The really sucky part was I can't buy a CX-5 with BSM and AFL without Blose, or I would have. I hope MazdaUSA reads these threads.
    I mis-worded my post... I meant that not many people are looking for flat frequency response. Some crazies are still out there though like you
    Generally for most music, an absolutely truly flat EQ is something that most people would not want. It's all about the "V" shape EQ to go along with compressed music (files and sound) today haha.

Registered Member

CX5

@yrwei52

"the other two 3¼" speakers are rear fill-in for surround sound."

Where are these located?

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 SportNav Auto 2.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson de Leon View Post
    @yrwei52

"the other two 3¼" speakers are rear fill-in for surround sound."

Where are these located?
    D pillars

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Interesting article on car audio:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/b...engineers.html

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by dc16 View Post
    Interesting, but I don't agree with this statement: "Typically, an automotive sound system is the best one people own."

Banned

2018 Mazda

The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    You should go to a Audiophile forum and see all the sound experts there like here.
    As an "Audiophile" and IMO the BOSE system is fantastic for a factory designed sound system so is Harman Kardon. Both get a lot of comments from sound critics (not audiophiles) on vehicle forums from member's.
    The 2017-2018 BOSE system in a MAZDA (and other vehicles) for most of the population is most likely the best in sound entertainment they have ever experienced in a vehicle as a factory sound system.

What I found (among other audiophiles) was not so much that the factory sound systems in most vehicles but will refer MAZDA (because Mazda forum)specifically BOSE were *below par (*def. Substandard, not acceptable) but rather that MAZDA save production cost by not having more adequate sound deadening materiel to most all their models. One of the first things a few of us early on regarding designing and building custom sound systems the beginning first stage task and challenge was to remove the complete interior, seats, carpet, door panels,trunk,headliners etc., and zip tie,tape and add what ever to insulate and reduce the noise levels of the outside wold of the vehicle. On some vehicles even under hood insulation wheel well and undercarriage attention to sound deadening material. By doing that any sound systems quality can be improved noticeably.

From this point I will stop because it gets into individual hearing tastes and long debates and arguments what works better for sound equipment for each individual person.
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Interesting, but I don't agree with this statement: "Typically, an automotive sound system is the best one people own."
    Well it is for me. I have a Vizio soundbar with wireless subwoofer hooked up to the TV/PS4. Sufficient for us. YMMV.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

The Bose system is the best sounding factory equipped car system I have owned. I presume there are better, but to my ears it sounds very nice. I leave the Centerpoint option on and boost treble and bass to "7" or "8". Don't let "audiophiles" intimidate you. Check it out for yourself. Sound quality is very, very subjective, so there is no right answer.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

My Lexus has Mark Levinson and sounds much cleaner than the Bose in my wife's CX-5. That said, the CX-5 is the best sounding Bose system I have heard. I've always gone along with the saying "Bose blows". They do make great noise cancelling products, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikali View Post
    The Bose system is the best sounding factory equipped car system I have owned. I presume there are better, but to my ears it sounds very nice. I leave the Centerpoint option on and boost treble and bass to "7" or "8". Don't let "audiophiles" intimidate you. Check it out for yourself. Sound quality is very, very subjective, so there is no right answer.
    Time for my favorite guy:

I could NOT be happier with the Bose in my 16, I can't even imagine how much better it is in 17-18-19. Better then my 'home stereo', if you could even call it that. (Also pretty much a sound bar and some Google Homes. lol)

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    My Lexus has Mark Levinson and sounds much cleaner than the Bose in my wife's CX-5. That said, the CX-5 is the best sounding Bose system I have heard. I've always gone along with the saying "Bose blows". They do make great noise cancelling products, though.
    Or: “No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!”

Our gen-1 CX-5 should have 11-speaker Bose system like Mazda6 of the same MY’s. But Mazda decided to eliminate two 1” tweeters just next to 3¼" dash speakers against Bose’s design based on a member’s inquiry to Bose, just to save some pennies.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

For headphones, I like Audio Technica.

For a car...my attitude has always been who gives a shit. After a certain threshold, I say good enough. It's a car and the listening experience and quality is intruded upon by outside noise. Gen 2 I suppose that factor is much reduced.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Banned

2018 Mazda

The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    For headphones, I like Audio Technica.

For a car...my attitude has always been who gives a shit. After a certain threshold, I say good enough. It's a car and the listening experience and quality is intruded upon by outside noise. Gen 2 I suppose that factor is much reduced.
    Well not exactly if you read what it takes in one of my responses here on this thread. However I know you are not into auto sound systems but more about more performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikali View Post
    Exactly!
    Besides it like building a RACE CAR the saying goes "SPEED COSTS...HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO"? The same is true with audio sound system which maybe I should start and coin the phrase... "SOUND QUALITY COSTS HOW MUCH SOUND MORE CLARITY DO YOU WANT "
    LOL!
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-11-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    For a car...my attitude has always been who gives a shit.
    My GM sourced Clarion radio in my last Saab was good enough but paled in comparison to my Mazda Bose.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast