Questions regarding the bose system on the 17 cx-5

You should go to a Audiophile forum and see all the sound experts there like here.
As an "Audiophile" and IMO the BOSE system is fantastic for a factory designed sound system so is Harman Kardon. Both get a lot of comments from sound critics (not audiophiles) on vehicle forums from member's.
The 2017-2018 BOSE system in a MAZDA (and other vehicles) for most of the population is most likely the best in sound entertainment they have ever experienced in a vehicle as a factory sound system.

What I found (among other audiophiles) was not so much that the factory sound systems in most vehicles but will refer MAZDA (because Mazda forum)specifically BOSE were *below par (*def. Substandard, not acceptable) but rather that MAZDA save production cost by not having more adequate sound deadening materiel to most all their models. One of the first things a few of us early on regarding designing and building custom sound systems the beginning first stage task and challenge was to remove the complete interior, seats, carpet, door panels,trunk,headliners etc., and zip tie,tape and add what ever to insulate and reduce the noise levels of the outside wold of the vehicle. On some vehicles even under hood insulation wheel well and undercarriage attention to sound deadening material. By doing that any sound systems quality can be improved noticeably.

From this point I will stop because it gets into individual hearing tastes and long debates and arguments what works better for sound equipment for each individual person. (guitar)

Last edited:
Interesting, but I don't agree with this statement: "Typically, an automotive sound system is the best one people own."

Well it is for me. I have a Vizio soundbar with wireless subwoofer hooked up to the TV/PS4. Sufficient for us. YMMV.

The Bose system is the best sounding factory equipped car system I have owned. I presume there are better, but to my ears it sounds very nice. I leave the Centerpoint option on and boost treble and bass to "7" or "8". Don't let "audiophiles" intimidate you. Check it out for yourself. Sound quality is very, very subjective, so there is no right answer.

My Lexus has Mark Levinson and sounds much cleaner than the Bose in my wife's CX-5. That said, the CX-5 is the best sounding Bose system I have heard. I've always gone along with the saying "Bose blows". :) They do make great noise cancelling products, though.

The Bose system is the best sounding factory equipped car system I have owned. I presume there are better, but to my ears it sounds very nice. I leave the Centerpoint option on and boost treble and bass to "7" or "8". Don't let "audiophiles" intimidate you. Check it out for yourself. Sound quality is very, very subjective, so there is no right answer.

Time for my favorite guy:

giphy.gif

I could NOT be happier with the Bose in my 16, I can't even imagine how much better it is in 17-18-19. Better then my 'home stereo', if you could even call it that. (Also pretty much a sound bar and some Google Homes. lol)

My Lexus has Mark Levinson and sounds much cleaner than the Bose in my wife's CX-5. That said, the CX-5 is the best sounding Bose system I have heard. I've always gone along with the saying "Bose blows". :) They do make great noise cancelling products, though.
Or: No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose! ;)

Our gen-1 CX-5 should have 11-speaker Bose system like Mazda6 of the same MYs. But Mazda decided to eliminate two 1 tweeters just next to 3" dash speakers against Boses design based on a members inquiry to Bose, just to save some pennies.

For headphones, I like Audio Technica.

For a car...my attitude has always been who gives a s***. After a certain threshold, I say good enough. It's a car and the listening experience and quality is intruded upon by outside noise. Gen 2 I suppose that factor is much reduced.

For headphones, I like Audio Technica.

For a car...my attitude has always been who gives a s***. After a certain threshold, I say good enough. It's a car and the listening experience and quality is intruded upon by outside noise. Gen 2 I suppose that factor is much reduced.

Well not exactly if you read what it takes in one of my responses here on this thread. However I know you are not into auto sound systems but more about more performance. (drive2)

Exactly!
Besides it like building a RACE CAR the saying goes "SPEED COSTS...HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO"? The same is true with audio sound system which maybe I should start and coin the phrase... "SOUND QUALITY COSTS HOW MUCH SOUND MORE CLARITY DO YOU WANT "
LOL!

Last edited:
My GM sourced Clarion radio in my last Saab was good enough but paled in comparison to my Mazda Bose.
And I just have the regular radio in mine. I'm sure the Bose blows it away.

I guess I've only cared about sound with my digital piano and my PC where I can block out all other sounds.

Had some 6x9 Fosgates in my Saab actually. Helped a little.

I think the bose system is adequate especially for a car without a CD player (North America). The high's are okay and the low's thump but not in a good way (some of you know what I'm talking about), but that can be forgiven considering it's only a 5 inch woofer. The bose system in our cars are better than most stock car audio systems but still can't touch most high end car systems with proper tweeters, woofers and subwoofers. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but maybe I should.

I'm also not a believer in sound bars. Just bite the bullet and pick up an A/V receiver on sale and pair them with a nice set of $200 bookshelf speakers. You're welcome.

Please help 17 CX5 and now can stream with my apple phone. The CX has a place for pandora and now I can stream it. What do I need to connect it to the CX 5 system. Thank you jz.

Back