Questions regarding the bose system on the 17 cx-5

Daeyul

:
2016.5 cx-5
Hello, I have been looking into buying a new cx-5 and was wondering if the bose on the 17 cx-5s are any better than the ones on the 16s. I listened to the bose on the 16s and was not quite ammused. Does the subwoofer make a big difference?

Hello, I have been looking into buying a new cx-5 and was wondering if the bose on the 17 cx-5s are any better than the ones on the 16s. I listened to the bose on the 16s and was not quite ammused. Does the subwoofer make a big difference?
From speaker setup point of view, 2017 10-speaker Bose system with 2 new A-pillar tweeters and a new spare-tire sub-woofer is definitely better than 2016 9-speaker Bose which doesn't have any of these! No, the new sub-woofer won't make big difference as it's has a small 5" speaker which has to be the smallest speak/driver I have ever seen as a sub-woofer! Remember, No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

Here are some info from Mazda Japan website about new CX-5 Bose system translated by Google. 10-speaker Bose system in 2017 CX-5 has two 1" (25 mm) tweeters at A-pillars, two 6" (165 mm) mid-range speakers on front doors, two 5" (130 mm) mid-range speakers on rear doors. Finally a sub-woofer with 5" (130 mm) speaker is located in spare tire area. Since it says two front tweeters and two corner dash mid-range door speakers form a 2-way configuration front speaker setup, we lost two corner dash 3" mid-range speakers but the center dash 3" mid-range speakers stays for surround sound effect. The 3" speaker with red border shown in the picture is the center dash speaker, the other two 3" speakers are rear fill-in for surround sound. Personally I'd prefer no Centerpoint 2 Surround Sound System like CX-3's since we don't watch movies while driving anyway! :)

理想の「マツダサウンド」をBoseと共同開発
Enjoy the high-quality comfort of the new CX-5 with five senses.
I thought about functions and equipment that can feel usability without being caught by common sense.

Developed ideal "Mazda sound" jointly with Bose
functionality_img01_1612.ts.1612150201269930.jpg

In Mazda, "Clarity: Clear sound without distortion" "Imaging: accurately reproducing all the sounds of music from bass to treble" "Power: sound that feels heavy bass energy" is called "Bose Mazda sound "value and definition. Since this idea overlaps with the idea pursued by Bose, we collaborated with Bose from the early stages of vehicle development and realized an ideal sound system and 10 speakers for the new CX-5.

Bose sound system (AUDIOPILOT (TM) 2 + Centerpoint 2) +10 speaker
functionality_img02_1612.ts.1612150201271330.jpg

A silk dome adopted 25 mm tweeter in the front pillar to reproduce a smooth and clear high tone. This 2-way configuration with tweeter, 165 mm speaker of the front door to properly localize vocals and each instrument. A 130 mm woofer built-in base box under the luggage room floor that produces superb heavy bass.
And rear door 130mm speaker. These 10 speakers realized a balanced, clear, realistic sound that sounds like coming from any stage anywhere on the stage. We also have a Surround System Centerpoint 2 function that reproduces with a stereoscopic sound image even with a stereo sound source, and a running noise compensation system AUDIOPILOT (TM) 2.

* Built-in woofer built-in base box of Bose sound system is installed under the trunk board.
(Maker Set Option: 20 S PROACTIVE, 25 S PROACTIVE, XD PROACTIVE, 25 S L Package, XD L Package)

Last edited:
Honestly, whether you think the Bose is improved or not, that moon roof/Bose package on the '17 is a steal at $800 or whatever it is. I personally like the Bose in the '16 but you do have to set it up properly.

My '16.5 Blose system sounds quite a bit better than my 2015, but it still blose. Exaggerated bass, recessed voices and a smaller shelf in the response at 3500 Hz. So it sounds "familar" just less of the Blose ridiculousness.

My '16.5 Blose system sounds quite a bit better than my 2015, but it still blose. Exaggerated bass, recessed voices and a smaller shelf in the response at 3500 Hz. So it sounds "familar" just less of the Blose ridiculousness.
Sir call me naive but why do you call it blose repeatedly?

Inaccurate? Spot on if you asked me...

No lows? At least in the 2017 GT I can't even put the bass much above the mid-point because it'll thump my ears off. But that's okay... I do realize it's "cool" to be against Bose so carry on! :p

Sir call me naive but why do you call it blose repeatedly?

Because, duh!

Every Blose audio system I've ever heard, from 901 to the sat/sub minis, sounds like crap, high distortion, unparallelled poor response curves (my 2015 measured +/- 14 dB from 40 to 14k Hz) and stilted dynamics. I.E. it sucks/blows/blose. Blose has a gianormous advertising budget, apparently they spend more on advertising that they spend on their system components. There is no audio gear on the U.S. market that sells cheaper stuff for more money than Blose.

I remember when Blose touted the quality of their first 901s by plugging them into a wall socket! What Blarney!

http://liquidtheater.com/editorial_56.html
http://nyet.org/bose/

That came from the 901 series, to which it applied, accurately, especially to the highs.

Of course their products aren't stellar if you're looking for an audiophile quality system, but for vehicles it's not like you're looking for flat frequency response... what bose is okay at is making the car stereo (at least in my '17 GT) fun and punchy. I'm pretty sure not many people expect more than that from bose today (or at least they shouldn't!).

It's true. Bose went the way of Sony and Pioneer as far as car audio is concerned.

My car has Focal speakers, an Alpine headunit, and a Dynaudio amp. Sounds GREAT.

......................... but for vehicles it's not like you're looking for flat frequency response...

I most certainly AM, for what the tech package costs and since the amp has (and probably has to have) EQ built-in. No excuse not to make it flat. Don't like good, turn the tone controls! I am used to very high quality sound at home. The really sucky part was I can't buy a CX-5 with BSM and AFL without Blose, or I would have. I hope MazdaUSA reads these threads.

what bose is okay at is making the car stereo (at least in my '17 GT) fun and punchy.

It's not fun when sopranos are screechy and violins bite. And that's with Evanescence!

I'm pretty sure not many people expect more than that from bose today (or at least they shouldn't!).

I agree.

I use to have an aftermarket audio system in my previous ride, SEAS Ref speakers, Butler hybrid tubes etc. I guess I also expect a smooth frequency response but given that the car has the worst listening environment, I shifted to home audio. Plus it's just so difficult to do critical listening while driving and talking to someone over the phone.

But it's just me. My dos centavos.

I most certainly AM, for what the tech package costs and since the amp has (and probably has to have) EQ built-in. No excuse not to make it flat. Don't like good, turn the tone controls! I am used to very high quality sound at home. The really sucky part was I can't buy a CX-5 with BSM and AFL without Blose, or I would have. I hope MazdaUSA reads these threads.

I mis-worded my post... I meant that not many people are looking for flat frequency response. Some crazies are still out there though like you :p
Generally for most music, an absolutely truly flat EQ is something that most people would not want. It's all about the "V" shape EQ to go along with compressed music (files and sound) today haha.

Back