Manual transaxle rebuild - anyone done this?

LostinCanada

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Several months ago I bought a parts car mainly for the leather interior - my cat peed on my passenger seat a year or so ago, which later cracked and crumbled from the cleaning treatment, and me not thinking to condition the leather afterwards. The sun beating in through the glass did the leather in completely.

Anyway, I briefly toyed with the idea of pulling the engine and rebuilding it, but my quick and dirty ring job on my regular rig is holding up fine and there is significantly more corrosion on this parts car than mine so I'm not sure it's worth bothering with.

I am seriously considering pulling the transaxle from the parts car and rebuilding it though - just wondering if anyone has done this and if so if they have a teardown/rebuild thread with pictures? I have the transaxle supplement but it looks like a number of special tools are required.

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks! BTW this workshop manual supplement is for the G15M-R and G25M-R - know what the difference is and how I know which one applies to me? Also it talks about 5th/Reverse Gear and Housing Parts Dissassembly/Assembly Type A and Type B but again I'm not sure of the difference and what type I would have?

2003 Mazda Protege5 FS engine

Back