Headlight warning driver side u/s

LostinCanada

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
OK, my car very unhelpfully notifies me that I've left my headlights on if I happen to open the PASSENGER door, but neglects to let me know when I depart the driver's side of the car... GAH. Anyone have this problem and know where to find the fix? I now have a parts car if I need to shop for a new switch...
Thanks for any help!

2003 Mazda Protege5

Does the cluster show the driver door is open when it is closed? That would indicate the sensor has failed. It's a simple plunger switch, you can swap one from another door if it has failed, or you can inspect it the switch for corrosion.

I stand corrected! I just confirmed the door open was not actually indicating (thanks @MrGiggles). I pulled the switch out from the door, and not only was the plunger part semi seized, the tiny little wire was broken off at the back of the connector. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to figure out how far the body harness would need to be removed in order to replace it so I opted to splice the "new" switch into my harness. I'll do that when the rain stops - my parts car is in a portable garage but my regular rig is outside... :(

The good news is I am able to replace both front seats with factory leather replacements from the parts car (the main reason I bought the second car). I already did the passenger side and will do the driver side when I go in behind the seatbelt assembly to splice in my new door sensor.

Last edited:
Back