2017 Impressions, Noise Comparison and Our New 2016 GT

I'm not even sure I'd purchase a "new" car that had 3300 miles on it. You have no clue what it was used for or how it was driven.

I think it was a bad deal, I would have asked them to get another one in Soul Red even if I had to wait a few more days. Unfortunately the paperwork has been done and the deal is done. All you can do right now is to double check and make sure there is nothing wrong with the car and just move on.

I think it was a bad deal, I would have asked them to get another one in Soul Red even if I had to wait a few more days. Unfortunately the paperwork has been done and the deal is done. All you can do right now is to double check and make sure there is nothing wrong with the car and just move on.

You're probably right about it being a bad deal, but I don't think ordering in another was an option. Supply is running low.

A few used 2016 GT's with under 10k miles showed up online this morning. There's little difference between a "new" car with 3300 miles and a Certified Preowned one with 8700 miles, so we could have just waited a week and picked up one of those. The list price for them is still $2k over ours (pre-fees, taxes), but I'd expect a used car price to be more negotiable.

You're probably right about it being a bad deal, but I don't think ordering in another was an option. Supply is running low.

A few used 2016 GT's with under 10k miles showed up online this morning. There's little difference between a "new" car with 3300 miles and a Certified Preowned one with 8700 miles, so we could have just waited a week and picked up one of those. The list price for them is still $2k over ours (pre-fees, taxes), but I'd expect a used car price to be more negotiable.

Good deal vs. bad deal is subjective.
If you paid $28.6K OTD (title, plate and sales tax included) for a never titled 2016 GT Soul Red, even with 3,300 miles on the odo, and also got a free remote starter installed, it is a fair deal, IMO. If you're happy with the deal, that what matters, what other people think of it is irrelevant.
In a few months, the 3,300 miles it had when you bought it won't matter anyway.
Enjoy your new car.

Good deal vs. bad deal is subjective.
If you paid $28.6K OTD (title, plate and sales tax included) for a never titled 2016 GT Soul Red, even with 3,300 miles on the odo, and also got a free remote starter installed, it is a fair deal, IMO. If you're happy with the deal, that what matters, what other people think of it is irrelevant.
In a few months, the 3,300 miles it had when you bought it won't matter anyway.
Enjoy your new car.

Depends. A FWD GT w/out Tech would have an MSRP of $28,570, then add $300 for the Soul Red.

My dealer has several "left over" vehicles at the moment and several have a discount of $4,000, including a 2016 AWD GT w/ Tech.

Lets not beat this to death. Werechull - enjoy the car. If you do that you would have got your moneys worth.

I use http://www.twistyroadfinder.com/Home/Maps/Texas to go find nice roads nearby to drive. Its so much fun.

I think for the most part, the majority of us are just looking out for his best interest, and hoping he didn't feel pressured into buying a car that really wasn't "new". Seeing now it that it was a 2016.5, and not a new 2017, it most definitely was a loaner or demo.

No regrets. As said above, after a few months those miles will seem nothing. Enjoy the car knowing you got the one you wanted.
I know that I could have gotten a better deal if I waited or was more open to other inventory, but I had very specific requirements (Touring w/Tech), was eager to get a new car, and wanted to get out of the dealership asap.

Depends. A FWD GT w/out Tech would have an MSRP of $28,570, then add $300 for the Soul Red.

My dealer has several "left over" vehicles at the moment and several have a discount of $4,000, including a 2016 AWD GT w/ Tech.

And then you add sales tax, plates and title to get an OTD price and what do you end up with?
My 2016 AWD GT w/ Tech w/ lock nuts, rear bumper protection and all weather mats cost me $30,934.00 everything included in July 2015 and I also got a pretty good trade value for my previous car. The car MSRP was $32,110 before tax and stuff.

Sales tax can be greatly off-set by trade-in value, if there was one.

In the end if the buyer is happy, then that's what matters most.

We have some pretty strong "consumer protection" laws up here in Maine, which helps prevent a lot of unscrupulous sales tactics.

In the end if the buyer is happy, then that's what matters most.

Yep, that's exactly what I wrote. It's his deal, not ours.

BTW, we were in NH & ME between Xmas and New Year. Loved it. Fell in love with Shipyard's Island Time IPA. <wink>

Cool site. There's one practically in my back yard. Twisty? Sure. But 25 mph. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How does the 17 handle compared to the 1st gen? I skimmed through the pages but not much mention on it.

The CX-5's claim to fame was its handling compared to its competitors in previous years. Car & Driver has indicated the 17 CRV out handles said 1st gen up to 2016.5 CX-5.

So I would imagine a big selling point for many 2016.5 and older 1st gen CX-5 owners is that the handling is so GODDDDDDLY that it measures up to the handling of a true sports car. But I didn't see much mention to it. Not just for the sake of comparison with the new CRV but I would find it beneficial for those on the edge on whether its worth getting the 2017 Cx-5 or getting a better deal on a new 2016.5

But so far from the talks, the handling isn't that much improved from the 1st gen to justify paying near MSRP or MSRP for the 17?--just as there really wasnt much mention on it. I would imagine that would be the first thing in comparison just because the 1st gen cx5 has lived its claim to fame on it. so ironic that there isn't much mention of it.

EDIT, looks like this member discusses the handling
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859609-2017-CX-5-Driven!!
looks like not much if any improvement. oh well. still love the look of the 2017 cx-5. best looking cuv in this price range thats for sure. still doesnt win for families, but bachelors and singles, for sure.

Last edited:
Well it was hardly the thing about the CX-5 that needed improving. Mazda focused on the issues (noise, etc.) and features that did need fixing. Besides, if you did more than skim or watched some of the very detailed reviews (including an hour-long press conference given by Mazda in San Diego), they do go into great detail about adjustments they made to the engine and steering/handling.

How does the 17 handle compared to the 1st gen? I skimmed through the pages but not much mention on it.

The CX-5's claim to fame was its handling compared to its competitors in previous years. Car & Driver has indicated the 17 CRV out handles said 1st gen up to 2016.5 CX-5.

So I would imagine a big selling point for many 2016.5 and older 1st gen CX-5 owners is that the handling is so GODDDDDDLY that it measures up to the handling of a true sports car. But I didn't see much mention to it. Not just for the sake of comparison with the new CRV but I would find it beneficial for those on the edge on whether its worth getting the 2017 Cx-5 or getting a better deal on a new 2016.5

But so far from the talks, the handling isn't that much improved from the 1st gen to justify paying near MSRP or MSRP for the 17?--just as there really wasnt much mention on it. I would imagine that would be the first thing in comparison just because the 1st gen cx5 has lived its claim to fame on it. so ironic that there isn't much mention of it.

EDIT, looks like this member discusses the handling
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859609-2017-CX-5-Driven!!
looks like not much if any improvement. oh well. still love the look of the 2017 cx-5. best looking cuv in this price range thats for sure. still doesnt win for families, but bachelors and singles, for sure.

this post talks about handling a little, just in case you are seriously interested
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859641-Test-Drove-a-2017-GT-FWD-this-afternoon!

Last edited:
Back