2017 Impressions, Noise Comparison and Our New 2016 GT

Yeah, that's how I'm leaning. To be honest, if I was serious about buying a 2017 I would look more at a Mazda 3. With the reduction cargo space and ground clearance, it seems like the CX-5 is now really just a high seating position 3. I don't know, I'm more "utility" minded, so I'm not as impressed with all of the changes as I thought I would be.

Thanks for the review. Fair and to the point. I will disagree regarding the CX5/Mazda 3 comparison though. I'm currently driving a 2016 Axela (the Japanese version of the 3) while waiting for the delivery of our 2017 CX5 XDL on next Saturday. Both my wife and I immediately noticed how different the two cars are (we had a 2014 CX5 until recently). The driving style and seating position are very different, it's more like driving my old 280ZX or MINI Cooper than the CX5, the seat is really low. The car is also considerably lower, even though the 2017 is a little lower than the earlier CX5's, so much that both my wife and I are uncomfortable in it in Japans narrow walled lined streets. The rear seat leg row is half of what a CX5 has, and is narrower, I've had three adults in the rear of a CX5, no way in a 3. The hatch space also seemed about half the size of the CX5 (the new 2017 CX5 has considerably more storage space under the floor than the pre 2017s, although it may have lost an inch of height due to the different configuration of the items under the floor. The diesel 3 also has considerably more driving range than my older diesel CX5 (at least 200 km more), not sure if it's more efficient or a bigger tank, but I'll assume it's efficient.
While the 2017 CX5 is certainly more "refined" than it's predecessors (it genuinely feels BMW-like and I think Mazda made the right call by comparing it to higher end models), it is not a sedan or sports car (I've had several, from a Eunos V-Special (the M5's early family tree), MINI Coopers, 280 ZX, Lotus 7, and an Alfa Romeo 1600 Junior Z, I know what sports cars feel like). No, the CX5 is a practical family hauler, that has space for a long trip, and is still fun to drive, but it's not a Mazda 3. You'd have an easier time convincing me that the CX3 (is that available in the states?) is more comparable to a Mazda 3 due to the hatch size and rear seat.

No I'm financially well of.
And old enough to not care about the costs, its years left I'm short of not money.

Who do you think makes the second hand low mileage cars available at bargain prices, simple, people like me.

Besides I wouldn't want to run a modern diesel out of warranty, especially a Mazda one.
Having said that i normally keep my cars 4.5 years, selling before 30K miles, but my last Mazda was a lemon.

I'll keep this one if i can get a Mazda warranty extension, its too much hassle fitting towbars every 3 years, or in the case of the last one every two.

But having paid 27000 (sticker price around 31K) for my model its not classed as a cheap car in the uk.
I would like a Lexus, but they don't make a car that ticks the boxes, same for all the more expensive cars.

So you buy an economy priced cuv. Known for reliability.
Break engine in
Suffer the max depreciation in its first year, and then instead of enjoying its reliability- upgrade it ?
Are you running a charity?

Buying a Lexus would be cheaper on depreciation over these two years than buying 2 CX-5 s. Would be a step up as well.

Last edited:
Yes, Matty, we get the CX-3.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Of course, competitors don't tend to have the position of an active driving display (heck, they don't even have this HUD feature) tied to the memory seats position. Advantage: Mazda!
No, memory function in 2017 CX-5 doesn't include outside mirrors. No power folding outside mirrors for US market either!

Wow. I never watched that long tech video. That's the most I've seen it detailed. Pretty impressive.
Well, the CR-V fan Bois that said "oh just wait for the reviews!". Yea, well here they come. And they sure seem to make the CX5 look a lot nicer then that Honda. I wonder if Redturbo pulled the trigger on his CR-V? Sounds like he should at least drive the Mazda. ;)

Exactly what I was trying to get my dealer to do: give me the red for free. In the end it just came down to: he would have to get the Red from another dealer or, if I bought out of his inventory he would throw in another $500 off. And my son really wanted me to get black. So black it is. LOL

When I see CX-5's, I very rarely see any blacks. Glad I am not the only one LOL!

I have to admit, I am not a red guy, but I have to say that those soul red CX-5's are looking pretty sharp. Someone in my new office parking lot has a 2016.5 GT in Soul Red and damn is it sexy.

Wow. I never watched that long tech video. That's the most I've seen it detailed. Pretty impressive.
Well, the CR-V fan Bois that said "oh just wait for the reviews!". Yea, well here they come. And they sure seem to make the CX5 look a lot nicer then that Honda. I wonder if Redturbo pulled the trigger on his CR-V? Sounds like he should at least drive the Mazda. ;)

I watched the whole thing, some of it more than once, then looked for more. I hope they do one for the diesel engine. But I'm an engineer ;)

I've never owned a Mazda, but their openness with not only their design philosophy and process, but actual test results with graphs, make me a big fan. I had no idea. They really seem to be doing things the right way.

We ended up having a bit of trouble with our purchase. We did the paperwork late Friday but they needed to get the car from another dealer about 30 miles away. Saturday, when they picked up the car, they discovered it had 3,300 miles on it.

We considered swapping it for the Eternal Blue and some accessories, but our daughter was pretty excited about the red. In the end, they agreed to throw in a Remote Starter for free (the two way remote, not the Mazda Mobile Starter).

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Part of me feels like it was a fair trade, and my wife had really wanted the remote starter for cooling off the car, but part of me still feels like we let them off easy.

We ended up having a bit of trouble with our purchase. We did the paperwork late Friday but they needed to get the car from another dealer about 30 miles away. Saturday, when they picked up the car, they discovered it had 3,300 miles on it.

We considered swapping it for the Eternal Blue and some accessories, but our daughter was pretty excited about the red. In the end, they agreed to throw in a Remote Starter for free (the two way remote, not the Mazda Mobile Starter).

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Part of me feels like it was a fair trade, and my wife had really wanted the remote starter for cooling off the car, but part of me still feels like we let them off easy.

That's a tough one to call... But the deals been done, and the ladies are happy... You don't have to worry about driving the car gently to break it in... I would however want to hear the story about how those miles happened...

Last edited:
So you pay for a new car. Got one with 3,300 miles on it and they threw in a $550 remote start? Yea...You let them off easy.

My CX-5 had 32 miles on it when I picked up from dealer. At 3300 miles or 90 hours driving (roughly) you got a demo car or a loaner. Both scenarios are bad. Remote starter is not worth 550, its only worth as much as you use it. In TX maybe i can use it every day in summer to cool my car

Remote starter is not worth 550, its only worth as much as you use it.
You're a strange one, Kaps. It's a $550 option. So, yes, it is worth exactly $550. I'm going to guess his daughter isn't in Miami and will use it.

My CX-5 had 32 miles on it when I picked up from dealer. At 3300 miles or 90 hours driving (roughly) you got a demo car or a loaner. Both scenarios are bad. Remote starter is not worth 550, its only worth as much as you use it. In TX maybe i can use it every day in summer to cool my car

Normally when talking summers a lot of humid places rival Phoenix for pure misery, but in this case Phoenix has most everywhere else in the country beat. It's not just comfort we're talking about. If you're not careful, your kids get burnt from the metal on the seat belts.

Oh... LOL When you said she was hung up on the red, I thought it was hers.

3300 odometer miles on a brand new car? My previous two brand new cars only had 13 and 15 miles on the odometer.

Even the dealer acknowledged that 3300 is unusual and willing to install the remote for free.

I don't think it was a general public demo car but must have been the first ones that Mazda lent out to car journalists way prior to the official release. 3300 is a lot considering we only started seeing the new CX5s at dealers this week.

Must be a pre-release industry media only demo car that we saw in the spy pics with all the camouflage? Maybe run a VIN check and see if anything turns up?

At 3300 miles I would do an oil change just to be safe. IMHO, if I paid for a brand new car it better damn well be a brand new car, not some demo car that was abused and off roaded to test out the engine and suspension.

$550 isn't worth the headache of not knowing where the 3300 miles came from. Do a quick check under the vehicle and see for any signs of off roading, there should be a lot of plastic cladding and should be easy to spot if there is mud or pebble damage.

Last edited:
You should have taken the Blue and made them install remote start on THAT car for the inconvenience. Ha! What's done is done now, though. Enjoy it! 👍

You should have taken the Blue and made them install remote start on THAT car for the inconvenience. Ha! What's done is done now, though. Enjoy it! 👍

Bingo!

3300 miles on a brand new car. OUCH!! No way in hell would I have let them off with that measly remote starter that completely sucks when compared to an aftermarket one anyways...

The stealership does it again...

Bingo!

3300 miles on a brand new car. OUCH!! No way in hell would I have let them off with that measly remote starter that completely sucks when compared to an aftermarket one anyways...

The stealership does it again...

Agreed... almost smells like bait and switch. I would have been irate. Maybe $2,000 - $3,000 off for that mileage and time wasted would have sufficed, but surely not a remote starter.

Back