2016 CX-9: Dashboard shows "Service soon" but cannot reset it

shjin404

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
I've changed oil change maintenance mode to Flexible a while ago. About three weeks ago after oil change I have reset the maintenance minder from the Maintenance Monitor application of infotainment.

Today I had dashboard showing "Service soon" with about 500 miles left. This couldn't be true, so I tried to reset it, but it didn't go away. I've tried two methods. 1) Selecting [Reset] from Oil Change section of Maintenance Monitor application. 2) Turn off ignition. While pressing dashboard illumination light knob, turn on ignition and kept pressing it for 7+ seconds.

Both approaches didn't work. After fiddling with it a little more, I've changed the Oil Change schedule to Fixed and found that it shows exactly the same miles left. Now I could reset it. So there seems to be a bug that Engine Control Unit thinks it is Fixed mode while infotainment thinks it is Flexible mode.

Now I've changed back to Flexible mode, but I'm not sure if ECU really is now in sync with infotainment. How do I verify this?

Dashboard shows Service Due, but that was different from oil life. Is there any way I can see oil life from dashboard (not infotainment)? I can't find it from the manual.

Last edited:
I know CX-9's Maintenance Monitor is a little different than my CX-5's. Resetting Oil Change Monitor is easy on CX-5. Simply go through infotainment system, select "Oil Change" and "Reset" while the ignition is on but engine is not running. It also shows percent of oil life left. Also there're two other maintenance items with fixed interval which also trigger your service indicator. In CX-5 it also comes with a message in addition to a red wrench indicator. The message will say "Maintenance due", Tire rotation due", or "Oil change due". If you can reset your "Oil change due" previously now you can't when you choose "Flexible" oil change interval, you may really need to update your ECM software. My ECM software got updated based on a TSB, where the message and wrench indicator are displayed for oil change due, even though I just reset it in flexible OCI and the oil life left showing 100% (See picture):

Oil%252520Change%252520Due_02_20151215.jpg

Here is description of CX-9's Maintenance Monitor and oil change resetting procedure:

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_9883.PNGIMG_9881.PNG

The infotainment and the ecu don't talk to eachother when it comes to service reminders unfortunately- it doesn't make any sense. You cannot sync them unless you reset them at the same time.

The infotainment and the ecu don't talk to eachother when it comes to service reminders unfortunately- it doesn't make any sense. You cannot sync them unless you reset them at the same time.

I had the same issue. I visit the dealer and they reset all reminders in 3 seconds.

And also this seems to be the TSB discussing my issue. I could not find full detail of this TSB though.

Date Reported
JULY 11, 2016
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#SA323
Description: CUSTOMERS MAY EXPERIENCE THE WRENCH LIGHT ON IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NOT DUE FOR SERVICE, AND THE WRENCH LIGHT CANNOT BE RESET USING NORMAL METHODS. IF THIS HAPPENS, CHECK THE MAZDA CONNECT VERSION. THIS CONCERN MAY H

I visited the dealer, and they were able to fix the issue by upgrading the firmware.

I had this occur recently at around 7.5K miles even though I had my first oil change just at 5K. I successfully reset in fixed setting by holding the dashboard illumination knob in ignition OFF then back ON for 7secs. Took a few tries but I was able to get rid of the annoying oil change due message on my dashboard every time I turned turned on the engine. My infotainment and dashboard remaining oil change intervals are also in sync now.

I had this occur recently at around 7.5K miles even though I had my first oil change just at 5K. I successfully reset in fixed setting by holding the dashboard illumination knob in ignition OFF then back ON for 7secs. Took a few tries but I was able to get rid of the annoying oil change due message on my dashboard every time I turned turned on the engine. My infotainment and dashboard remaining oil change intervals are also in sync now.
Ereeku36 something like that do the dealer in my cx9 too. Not a big deal. And they told me they need to try several times first until they get experience. Now they reset several cx9 so far so they do it at first attempt.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

I just deal the this issue; the "hold down seven seconds" does not work anymore - with the current firmware, it's all done in the maintenance monitor.

This just happened to my CX-9 as well. The dealer did the service and reset the monitor, then the next day I start getting a "service soon" light on the dash. The dealer did upgrade the firmware during the service (without telling me) to the latest (504). Looks like I need to try the 7 second trick and see if that works. I've already tried to toggle it with the monitor and no joy.

Same thing here. I had mine in to the dealer for warranty work and they said they updated the firmware. However, every time I start the car it says, "Service due: 0 miles" or something like that. I'll try some of these suggestions.

For the record, the "7-second trick" worked to reset my service light.

AND the second I post that and go drive the car the light comes back on. It goes out on its own after a few seconds but...it's baaaak.

Last edited:
Back