New Beginnings for a P5

:
2003 Sunlight Silver Mazda Proteg5
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. I have been a long follower of the forum for the past two years since owning a silver '03 P5 with tiptronic. For the price the P5 has met my expectations of affordability, maintenance, and a fun ride. Thanks to the forums I have learned more on the common problems with our cars along with engine and suspension mods. Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and bringing life to this community.

So here is my dilemma. I am looking in bringing a '02 P5 back to life. Needs a new engine. Found a used engine at a good price at the wrecker. The issue my mechanic and I discovered today is we may need a new engine harness as the current one was damaged when the engine threw a rod.(rolleyes) How involving is it to change the engine harness in our cars? Doing research from other posts I understand the interior and dash will need to be taken apart to get the whole harness out. The P5 I am working on has the ABS and side air bag package.

I am beginning to look for a replacement harness but have a feeling I will need to find one from an ABS car, otherwise the speedometer and ABS system will not work. I have discovered the transmission has a dummy plug and will need to be retrofitted with a VSS in order to make it work with a non-ABS harness. Will a harness from a regular Protege work in the P5 too?

Do any of you guys have a spare ABS engine harness that you would be willing to sell? Any help is appreciated.

Do you have pictures of the damage to the harness? If it's just the engine harness the dash does not have to come apart, and you can most likely repair the wiring without replacing the entire harness.

I didn't take any when I saw it yesterday but we could tell some of the wiring had melted (pending full inspection) and is full of oil. The only damaged part that we saw the wiring that comes out from the firewall.

I will take some pictures tomorrow or Monday.

It's a good thing some wreckers in the area have Proteges with ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, so I was able to grab some pictures. May not be the best quality as it was dusk.

889c1f35ead967756ced15168155b203.jpg
b7da280ae5f7eb61e2cea15cdbd2fe7e.jpg
332f5fe35b74f0624be83eb9d819e100.jpg
701b9edfe7a0cfcc305d7f85c2925761.jpg

f1f6ebc1bc17ad644129c0eefcf1391a.jpg

I found a reference picture. Thanks from a How-To from another forum member.

7408f28a7acbc8ec6c5b338269e49b62.jpg

So noticed today the car is a California Emissions car. Would a harness from a Federal work as well?

Back