Who has done the Mazda AIO Hack?

That is is true. But I can tell you it won't work with that latest update.

55.00.650A/753A/760A / 56.00.521A-NA(NA N)
56.00.100A/230A/240B/511A/512A/513C/514A-ADR(4A N)
56.00.100A/210A/230A/511A/512A/513A/513B/513C-EU
56.00.401A/403A-JP / 59.00.445A-JP / 56.00.100A-CHN
58.00.250A-NA(NA N) / 58.00.251A-ADR(4A N)
59.00.326A/330A/342A/442A/443C/449A/450A-ADR(4A N)
59.00.330A/441A/443A/446A/450A-NA(N NA)
59.00.330A/331A/443C/447A/449A-EU
**59.00.502A/504A/532A-NA/-EU/-ADR

It only work on the ones above except the last ** one. This is because Mazda flat out removed the USB accessibility.
Youre only option, yes there is one very advanced option, is to remove the radio, wire in a cable to attach a computer, use SSH to login to the head unit and enable the USB port. THEN use the AIO.
Yea, crazy, right?

Mazda did not do it on purpose, before anyone gets any ideas. I am one of the individuals who's contributing in the "other" forum w.r.t. tweaks.
1st: What 7E wrote is correct. If you've done a firmware upgrade recently / dealership did it then you're completely locked out.
Reason: There's a security hole identified. Mazda had to fix it. The same can be exploited via the USB port and upload into vehicle - malicious software. Not really applicable in NA but in other regions the Wifi setting can be activated and thus if enabled the software will spread into your smart phone, etc. (potentially).
In order to fix it, a security code is now implemented and without the handshake nothing will happen.

What 7E wrote about the work-around is also correct. Yes, in order to circumvent it you'll need access to the back-side of the head unit and via a special adapter log-in into the head unit (which BTW runs a rather decent Linux distro) via SSH to work around the bypass. However, each and every time you'll need to do it as and when you'd like to upgrade. Furthermore by doing so or by NOT upgrading to official Mazda firmware you're effectively locking yourself out from upgrades into foreseeable future.
Collectively, we are of the opinion the SSH approach will also stop very soon as it relies on the simple hack which 100% Mazda is already aware.

In short - if you really need the features: do NOT upgrade. If upgraded already: forget using the features.

Lastly: In my trusted dealership I personally witnessed a 2017 CX-5 having freeze issues with BT and screen however dealership upon determining look and feel not matching what Mazda provided has refused to fix under warranty and even when customer offered to pay since dealership has no idea what changed and what to fix. The only option made available to the customer was a complete replacement of the head unit which was priced at $2200 with labor (he had navigation).

Disclaimer: I used to heavily apply tweaks and had a lot of stuff. In addition - I was playing around bringing in the video from my built-in Mazda dash cam (lane departure/etc.) into my 2016 head unit. All of which I removed right after what I witnessed at the dealership and now using the stock firmware - latest.

The only real hack I'd be interested in is how to keep getting updates for free beyond the initial 3 years for my navigation.

This details out the security flaw which post identification - MZ fixed.

Last edited:
I only use the simple hacks. Not messing with AA or video or wifi or casting.
I do like having a different wallpaper. Sucks Mazda won't give you any choices like some companies do. The Speedo is neat. I'm surprised how much info it pulls. Where does it get altitude from?
81b53a33ad4a8391454ae0254447aa4c.jpg
dac23ec9c0ee51cbd9147f94d41d3d53.jpg

Thanks for the updates... sad to hear but understandable.

7er... stop posting screenshots and making me jealous of what I can't have :p

That is is true. But I can tell you it won't work with that latest update.

55.00.650A/753A/760A / 56.00.521A-NA(NA N)
56.00.100A/230A/240B/511A/512A/513C/514A-ADR(4A N)
56.00.100A/210A/230A/511A/512A/513A/513B/513C-EU
56.00.401A/403A-JP / 59.00.445A-JP / 56.00.100A-CHN
58.00.250A-NA(NA N) / 58.00.251A-ADR(4A N)
59.00.326A/330A/342A/442A/443C/449A/450A-ADR(4A N)
59.00.330A/441A/443A/446A/450A-NA(N NA)
59.00.330A/331A/443C/447A/449A-EU
**59.00.502A/504A/532A-NA/-EU/-ADR
It only work on the ones above except the last ** one. This is because Mazda flat out removed the USB accessibility.
My 2017 Touring (mid Dec delivery) came with 59.00.504 hence locked out from the get go.

....Youre only option, yes there is one very advanced option, is to remove the radio, wire in a cable to attach a computer, use SSH to login to the head unit and enable the USB port. THEN use the AIO.
Yea, crazy, right?
Does every flash involve removing the radio? Meaning, cant a wire be attached upon first removal potentially routing loose end to glove box and use to attach to a computer thereafter?

Does the navigation (google map) works on the Active Display, just like the default one?
For those lucky enough to be able to hack, does Google map audio work in conjunction with music (eg music playing gets faded and navigation commands on driver side speaker)? Or does it kill music audio entirely? Any Waze capabilities post-hack? Same audio behavior as Google maps?

... Furthermore by doing so or by NOT upgrading to official Mazda firmware you're effectively locking yourself out from upgrades into foreseeable future

Lastly: In my trusted dealership I personally witnessed a 2017 CX-5 having freeze issues with BT and screen however dealership upon determining look and feel not matching what Mazda provided has refused to fix under warranty and even when customer offered to pay since dealership has no idea what changed and what to fix. The only option made available to the customer was a complete replacement of the head unit which was priced at $2200 with labor (he had navigation).
Does this mean the AIO hack cant be reversed by going back to stock fw? Id really like to be able to get the AIO hack, however not a fan of ripping apart the dash on my <1500 miles CX-5 and potentially many times if cable cant be hardwired- or getting into warranty issues if cant go back to stock firmware or end not liking the hack.

The most interesting part for me is navigation as not happy with MZD connect app, but would also like to explore some of the other options (eg audio input reordering, touchpad in motion passenger access, not driver- etc ) as well as leveraging cars GPS access instead of consuming data on long rides with Google maps/waze on phone rather than on AIO

Thanks for the updates... sad to hear but understandable.

7er... stop posting screenshots and making me jealous of what I can't have :p
+1 jelly of 7er AIO shots post hack

Does every flash involve removing the radio? Meaning, cant a wire be attached upon first removal potentially routing loose end to glove box and use to attach to a computer thereafter?
I don't see why you couldn't leave the cable attached, but you do not need it for 'future flashes'. You are basically using that to open the gate to allow you to use the AIO tool.

For those lucky enough to be able to hack, does Google map audio work in conjunction with music (eg music playing gets faded and navigation commands on driver side speaker)?
This I do not know.

Any Waze capabilities post-hack? Same audio behavior as Google maps?
Waze is native to AA so yes, it works.

Does this mean the AIO hack cant be reversed by going back to stock fw?
It can always be reversed.

touchpad in motion passenger access, not driver- etc )
This is really nice. Not just touch, but all the options that can't be used with even with Commander Knob while moving. Friend in car just yesterday wanted to pair his phone with my car. AND HE COULD while we were moving. (eekdance)

OK, no more pics. (spin)

The Speedo is neat. I'm surprised how much info it pulls. Where does it get altitude from?

That speedo is REALLY neat! Now I want it.

Altitude [elevation, actually] comes from GPS.

My 2017 Touring (mid Dec delivery) came with 59.00.504 hence locked out from the get go.

Does every flash involve removing the radio? Meaning, can’t a wire be attached upon first removal –potentially routing loose end to glove box and use to attach to a computer thereafter?

For those lucky enough to be able to hack, does Google map audio work in conjunction with music (eg music playing gets faded and navigation commands on driver side speaker)? Or does it kill music audio entirely? Any Waze capabilities post-hack? Same audio behavior as Google maps?

Does this mean the AIO hack can’t be reversed by going back to stock fw? I’d really like to be able to get the AIO hack, however not a fan of ripping apart the dash on my <1500 miles CX-5 –and potentially many times if cable can’t be hardwired- or getting into warranty issues if can’t go back to stock firmware or end not liking the hack.

The most interesting part for me is navigation as not happy with MZD connect app, but would also like to explore some of the other options (eg audio input reordering, touchpad in motion –passenger access, not driver- etc ) as well as leveraging car’s GPS access instead of consuming data on long rides with Google maps/waze on phone rather than on AIO

+1 jelly of 7er AIO shots post hack

Yes - it can be reversed - easily. But why? So that dealership won't detect your hack? Okay -- I'll accept that but then what? You'll have to repeat the entire 9 yards again if you've upgraded/dealership upgraded you to the untouchable version. Sorry: that's what I meant.

Yes: if you're @ latest firmware then you'll need to take the radio off. Yes : you can leave a dangling wire and use it for future updates. Many have done it. But there are reports where afterwards the entire head unit did not fit back again - that snugly. Its a risk - if you are adept at this: go for it.

If the dealer flashes your radio it's like reinstalling Windows. The hack will be gone.

Thanks 7er for your reply

I don't see why you couldn't leave the cable attached, but you do not need it for 'future flashes'. You are basically using that to open the gate to allow you to use the AIO tool.
Think have read somewhere, either other post or another forum, of people getting their AIO fw updated to most recent version when serviced at dealer, even w/o asking for it. So, my thinking was to keep the dangling cable so could SSH back to the radio and hack it again should that happen, w/o needing to remove radio again.

This is really nice. Not just touch, but all the options that can't be used with even with Commander Knob while moving. Friend in car just yesterday wanted to pair his phone with my car. AND HE COULD while we were moving. (eekdance)
I think force disabling the touchpad screen while in motion is dumb, especially when they are not providing an alternate method for some functions. IMHO should be a setting so owner can choose if should be disabled or not...and wouldn't worry if they place all sort of legalities on the screen prior to confirming setting change.

If the dealer flashes your radio it's like reinstalling Windows. The hack will be gone.
Exactly why I was thinking of keeping cable attached if I bite the bullet and go the hack way

Last edited:
Yes - it can be reversed - easily. But why? So that dealership won't detect your hack? Okay -- I'll accept that but then what? You'll have to repeat the entire 9 yards again if you've upgraded/dealership upgraded you to the untouchable version. Sorry: that's what I meant.
Thanks for your reply.Yes, posed the reverse question in case wanted to disguise the fact AIO had been hacked or if ended not liking mod. Cheaper alternative to the $2.2K to address some BT/connectivity issues that has been referenced on this thread.

Yes: if you're @ latest firmware then you'll need to take the radio off. Yes : you can leave a dangling wire and use it for future updates. Many have done it. But there are reports where afterwards the entire head unit did not fit back again - that snugly. Its a risk - if you are adept at this: go for it.
OK, time for me to read/watch more about the mod, applications and implications to assess if worth it. Any must watch/must read pointers? Aware of mazdatweaks website, as well as the thread on Mazda3revolution. Thanks!

Im in Australia and have a fairly recent version and was locked out from the get go. At least i still had Pandora Radio to play but they removed that as well during the latest service without asking me. Now Im stuck with some s*** called sticher and AHA which is possibly the most useless app in the world - who even considered that anyone would want to use that?

I’m in Australia and have a fairly recent version and was locked out from the get go. At least i still had Pandora Radio to play but they removed that as well during the latest service without asking me. Now I’m stuck with some s*** called sticher and AHA which is possibly the most useless app in the world - who even considered that anyone would want to use that?

Now, now -> don't get mad. Maybe Apple is forcing them to disable everything before they allow Apple Airplay?

Somehow - I have a feeling Airplay is coming - soon. These firmware updates seem to suggest the standard Apple strategy at play -> 1st. : make sure your system is tightly locked. 2nd: Make sure other than Apple nothing can run. 3rd.: To pacify critics continue allowing some bad apps 4th.: Okay: you may proceed but 5th.: For anything and everything: you're responsible.

Here's a crazy thought - Mazda could look to their users to make suggestions on features to MZD Connect. I know they would not open source the code, but they could take the Agile approach and let us suggest stories for the Backlog.

I really like the idea of the speedo, if the code for that were on GitHub, I am sure that Mazda could make a private fork of it and incorporate it.

IskiE

I'm getting ready to do it. Then I will donate to the guy that made it. So very cool.

I'm going to do:
  • Touchscreen while moving (even though I don't need to do this I want to be able to if I so damn well please)
  • Bigger Album Art
  • Remove StatusBar background
  • No more disclaimer
  • and maybe fuel consumption tweak
  • Speedo App

I know a few people have done some of these. Any input?

http://mazdatweaks.com/

Yes I'm running every mod even screen casting..won't go back to stock TBH

Nice. Welcome to the Forum, Joel.
Thread was started quite awhile ago. Almost been 2 years now for me running AIO. :D

So is there anyone in the Pittsburgh area who can do this? I have a 2018 GT with Android Auto and would love to add these tweaks. I am technically minded but when it comes to ripping apart the parts in the glove box and soldering of the cables I am out of my league. If anyone in the PGH would be willing to help me with this I'd be happy to work something out for your efforts!

Thanks!

I just installed a few of the upgrades. Very easily done, took two minutes. My speedometer, however, is digital only (no dial) and the other gauges are along the bottom of the screen, on three pages.

Analog speedo is an option if I remember. Have to select it in aio before you compile the package install on the usb stick.

Back