AWD Transmission interchange

gdp01

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD
I have a 2013 AWD with a beautiful whine coming from the transmission. Saw the TSB and the dealer agrees that it needs a new transmission. Would be nice and easy if I was still under warranty but at 88k that is long done. Mazda said they would cover labor but I am still looking at over $5k (gah) for the transmission.

My idea is to get a junkyard transmission installed. Only problem is confirming fitment. TSB shows so many different part numbers and I can not find anywhere that tells me what the differences are. I was hoping to get a late 2013 or 2014 transmission that would be past the TSB and save a ton of money.

Any ideas or help??

Thanks!!

Try an independent shop? I still find it hard to believe that no one can go inside these things and do a repair. Nice of Mazda to throw in the labor, but, yeah, $5k!! You get a used car for that.

I would love to buy a used one but according to the Mazda parts catalog different years are different part numbers. 2013 has 2 different automatics used in the same year. I have no idea what the difference is between them all which is where the problem lies.

What ever happened to a good old c6 that was the same for years!

This is first out of warranty trans replacement we've seen here I think - keep us updated!

Also I think its kind of Mazda to offer to cover labor. I don't see many doing that!

The TSB for the whining noise states that there was an inproper configuration of the trans case which caused a bad bearing. The trans case was modified starting around 12/13 to address this. I don't think repairing makes much sense if I need a new transmission case.

The TSB for the whining noise states that there was an inproper configuration of the trans case which caused a bad bearing. The trans case was modified starting around 12/13 to address this. I don't think repairing makes much sense if I need a new transmission case.
You have a valid point, but at 88k miles it really could be anything. Won't the serial number on the transmission tell you anything?

TSB goes by VIN and date which my vehicle falls right in to the range. Dealer diagnosed and said it exhibits the exact symptoms, whining that gets louder with speed and regardless of gear or transfer temp.

Few independent transmission shops I went to all said to replace it due to the TSB, and for the $5k+ price tag they said to just get rid of the car.

TSB goes by VIN and date which my vehicle falls right in to the range. Dealer diagnosed and said it exhibits the exact symptoms, whining that gets louder with speed and regardless of gear or transfer temp.

Few independent transmission shops I went to all said to replace it due to the TSB, and for the $5k+ price tag they said to just get rid of the car.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I had the same problem at 32k but the whining was constant, stayed pretty much the same.

Since it's 2013 it should be 2.0L engine. I would expect the 2.5L engine has different gear ratios in the transmission so the suggestion to put a 2016 transmission in isn't a simple swap.

Couple of thoughts, Do you still owe anything on it? Any chance the financing is still with Mazda?

Have you read over your Comprehensive Insurance coverage? This is could be covered. It wasn't caused by a lack of maintenance or any action by you. Given the estimated repair cost, it may be worth it to submit a claim. Obviously without the repair the value of the car is significantly reduced.

When I had to replace my transmission out of warranty, the cost was much less (manual) and I didn't have to worry about software incompatibilities either. The independent shop was the best option.

It's obvious now, Mazda had some problems with the early CX-5s. The problems I've had have been costly and all out of pocket since the warranty was so short.

Funny story, car was just paid off.

As for which transmission to swap in it will need to be from a 2.0 AWD. 2013-2015 look to have the same gear ratios. According to the factory service manual no computer work is needed when you replace the whole transmission. Still bought a scanner to try to get in the computer and see what it really shows though.

As far as insurance, I'm pulling my policy to check it out. Never crossed my mind!

Vehicle should be worth quite a bit more than $5k.

I have heard about this whine TSB for some time.

Does the transmission ever fail or does it just make a whine sound?

It is possible to live with the whine>?
(poke)

Transmission never fails just has a very very loud whine. My concern is what happens when the bearing finally fails.

If the noise is based on speed and nothing else it has to do with final drive then if it fails does it damage the axle shaft?

Transmission never fails just has a very very loud whine. My concern is what happens when the bearing finally fails.

If the noise is based on speed and nothing else it has to do with final drive then if it fails does it damage the axle shaft?

Hard to say but when it does fail, that probably will total the car.

Since it's 2013 it should be 2.0L engine. I would expect the 2.5L engine has different gear ratios in the transmission so the suggestion to put a 2016 transmission in isn't a simple swap.

As for which transmission to swap in it will need to be from a 2.0 AWD. 2013-2015 look to have the same gear ratios. According to the factory service manual no computer work is needed when you replace the whole transmission. Still bought a scanner to try to get in the computer and see what it really shows though.

As far as I know, all AWD CX-5's have the same gear ratios.
My only concern with putting in a 2016 transmission would be the software.

Aren't the different part numbers due to the updates added through the years? Surely the hard points are the same over three years. You would want the latest version with the better bearing already in it, not another one like yours.

Back