2016 CX-9 recirculation vent issue

ioiwin

:
2016 mazda cx-9
Hi all,

I just noticed today that when my air recirculation is on (the button is lit, no outside air coming in), I can feel hot air faintly coming out of the vents when there shouldn't be anything coming out. This is when the a/c and heater are off and I can feel the air on my hand when I rest it on the shifter. Does anyone have any insight or similar issues? Thanks

I think air ventilation gets in regardless... It's more noticeable if you turn off air circulation, but when driving with the ac off and air circulation off, I can still feel air being forced in thru the vents. If I turn air recirculation on, it is more noticeable.

Every car I've ever owned, air still flows faintly through the vents even when air/fan is off. Only way to block it completely is if the vents close all the way, which in many cars they don't close all the way.

Are you turning the blower motor off too?

Are you traveling in the car when you notice this, or do you notice this when stationary?

If you do not want the air to be warm, you can adjust the temp as you desire.

If you do not want it from the upper vents, you can change the setting to another setting.

Last edited:
Are you turning the blower motor off too?

Are you traveling in the car when you notice this, or do you notice this when stationary?

If you do not want the air to be warm, you can adjust the temp as you desire.

If you do not want it from the upper vents, you can change the setting to another setting.

Everything is off, the air circulation button is on, its on the coldest temperature, and even when I put it on feet or windshield I can still feel a little air coming out the direct vents, mostly warm. I guess if people have had this issue or it's normal then i shouldn't worry too much about it. Thanks

Everything is off, the air circulation button is on, its on the coldest temperature, and even when I put it on feet or windshield I can still feel a little air coming out the direct vents, mostly warm. I guess if people have had this issue or it's normal then i shouldn't worry too much about it. Thanks
Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Perhaps some others with the new CX-9 can also chime in with their impressions on this.

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Perhaps some others with the new CX-9 can also chime in with their impressions on this.

My theory is Mazda's programming that even if you shut off the HVAC with air recirculation "on" then there is still faint air present despite being set to recirculate. What is there to recirculate if there is no air? I understand that if you do not want any HVAC that simply turning it off and pressing recirculation on should shut air completely as that was the case with my previous Volvo but maybe Mazda programmed it differently. Besides, shutting HVAC completely is how you increase humidity in the cabin esp once it is occupied. I agree if you don't want any air blowing thru vents simply just close them. I wouldn't worry too much about this...

My theory is Mazda's programming that even if you shut off the HVAC with air recirculation "on" then there is still faint air present despite being set to recirculate. What is there to recirculate if there is no air? I understand that if you do not want any HVAC that simply turning it off and pressing recirculation on should shut air completely as that was the case with my previous Volvo but maybe Mazda programmed it differently. Besides, shutting HVAC completely is how you increase humidity in the cabin esp once it is occupied. I agree if you don't want any air blowing thru vents simply just close them. I wouldn't worry too much about this...

The issue I have is that you can't close the vents right above the console. I live in Phoenix and when I have my windows open (or closed) to enjoy the breeze instead of using my a/c, I feel the warm air on my hand from the vents and was thinking it might be increasing the temp in the car. Just curious if this was normal for this car

Put a thermometer into the vent to measure the temperature of the air that shouldn't be flowing. Compare this to the outside air. It is possible that the air flaps in the system aren't closing as they should, and you need a repair under the warranty.

Put a thermometer into the vent to measure the temperature of the air that shouldn't be flowing. Compare this to the outside air. It is possible that the air flaps in the system aren't closing as they should, and you need a repair under the warranty.

What would you say if the vent temperature matches the outside temperature, versus if the vent temperature is hotter than the outside temperature?

Back