2017 CX-5: Driven!!

Looking at the specs for the touring, I'm not impressed. They took out navigation and fog lights and added leatherette... combined with the ugly front end and the infotainment above the dash... no thanks. Those are big steps in the wrong direction and backwards in my opinion. I'm so glad I got the 2016.5 instead.

You can get the preferred pack for $780 and get nav, sunroof, power liftgate, and bose stereo. There is a kit you can buy for the fogs, but I don't know how much it is yet. On previous models it was roughly $50. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

On the 16.5, I think you had to get the tech package to get fogs ($1300) which then forced you to get the moonroof and bose for ($1100). Or you could just buy the kit mentioned above for $50 if you just wanted the fogs.

But I agree, if the 2017 is not considerably quieter at highway speeds, and I can get a 16.5 GT with tech and activsense packages for around $26K in a few weeks, I will.

Msrp

wow, $780 and $625 is a freaking bargain, too bad can't have both though on the touring
Looks like the MSRP went up a little bit. I think my no options/packages AWD Touring was MSRP of $26,600.
MSRP for 2016.5 CX-5 FWD is $25,215; AWD is $26,515. Touring Technology Package is $1,275; Moonroof/Bose Package is $1,130. Soul Red Metallic is $300 and Crystal White Pearl Mica is $200. Destination Fee is $900.

I see your point, but for my usage there appears to be nothing to get excited about, unlike when the CX-5 was first launched.

The HUD isn't what I'm looking for, but it is new. And I do t want to fuss with aftermarket. Rear vents and AC is something that would make my 8yo (who is back there ALOT) very happy! So it's a huge tipping point in favor of 2017, for me, and a new feature I'm happy to see!

On the 16.5, I think you had to get the tech package to get fogs ($1300) which then forced you to get the moonroof and bose for ($1100). Or you could just buy the kit mentioned above for $50 if you just wanted the fogs.
No, it came with fog lights. I have one and it wasn't an extra package. I didn't get the tech package or any other add ons.
Still stinks that they made all of that add ons. I wouldn't have wanted a sunroof or power liftgate anyway. Glad my 16.5 had navigation as a standard feature.

Looking at the specs for the touring, I'm not impressed. They took out navigation and fog lights and added leatherette... combined with the ugly front end and the infotainment above the dash... no thanks. Those are big steps in the wrong direction and backwards in my opinion. I'm so glad I got the 2016.5 instead.

If you can get over the external looks and internal - there is no comparison
2017 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 16.5 for many many reasons - its not even laughably close.
Sound dampening, upscale interior, HUD, standard LEDs !! WTH. Memory seats and power passenger seats. You name it - 17 has it.
Rear AC vents is a big seller in USA.
One of the biggest advantage is the packages are so well laid out - you dont need to get a moonroof / Audio package to get some of the advanced features - thats like 1000 saved. You can tack on individual stuff - fog lights are $50 on eBay, Infact I want to replace the vanilla fogs on my CX-5 because the yellow DRL sucks bigtime and I never mod my cars. So fogs with DRL in them are what I am looking for. You dont need to do this in 17. Get an aftermarket LED Fogs and you are golden. Plus you get the beautiful DRLs in your main headlights.

If I am in the market looking for a used car in 2020 I will be looking at
17 CX-5
17 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid / Energi

Really solid vehicle and by 2020 will have a good idea of issues with 17 if any.

Touring Foglights

⋯ On the 16.5, I think you had to get the tech package to get fogs ($1300) which then forced you to get the moonroof and bose for ($1100).
Halogen foglights are standard for 2016.5 Touring. Tech Package gets you LED foglights.

Halogen foglights are standard for 2016.5 Touring. Tech Package gets you LED foglights.

Which is not a great advantage - you still live with those yellow DRLs and only way to get better ones is rip out the stock Fogs and put in some aftermarket fogs with DRL in them. In 17s your DRLs are better. Plus you are not forced to buy Bose + Moonroof for 1000.

I for one appreciate the honesty, some folk get upset if you criticise their pride and joy, or new purchase.

Haha mornin' sunshine! I thought I pretty much said that (take this for fwiw) based on my very limited overall time and distance with each but, imho did the new steering feel better- to me- no it didn't, ruined? Definitely not- just lighter particularly noticed this at low speed. Did the handling feel better? No it didn't. Again not ruined or even much different by any stretch of the imagination just a bit less sharp- maybe. Could that have been a pre-conceived expectation and resulted in placebo effect? Yes but from the softer seats (boo!) to the steering weight to my highway LRL maneuvers idk just felt like the effort was spent to instill a more upmarket overall feel rather than inject more zoom. Again my .02 and if you read my summary I'll probably still hold off and go for the touring w/preferred as I really like the value there. Take the savings for bigger, more aggressive wheels/tires which I also mentioned changed on the gt to model A36 and could very well have been all or most of what I was feeling in terms of just slightly less sharp. Savings could also be (maybe) put toward sky-d which I know I'd kick myself for not taking wait and see approach on. Or here's a thought kev (and all really) go drive one and tell me I'm full of it- maybe I am-hell I kind of hope I am and maybe my buttometer just had an off day! Just trying to give an early, honest 1st hand review of my findings- nothing more.

I see your point, but for my usage there appears to be nothing to get excited about, unlike when the CX-5 was first launched.

Plus, I can't compare to when the CX-5 launched. I don't have one of those. I'm moving from something 10 years old... pre-Bluetooth, even! :) So it's plusses all around, except for the mileage, but when comparing to a hybrid (even an old one) that's apples and oranges.

I already have electric memory seat, passenger just electric, also already have Led lights, and extra sound deadening over the previous version, I think you would call my car the 2016, bought in Nov 2015?

If you can get over the external looks and internal - there is no comparison
2017 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 16.5 for many many reasons - its not even laughably close.
Sound dampening, upscale interior, HUD, standard LEDs !! WTH. Memory seats and power passenger seats. You name it - 17 has it.
One of the biggest advantage is the packages are so well laid out - you dont need to get a moonroof / Audio package to get some of the advanced features - thats like 1000 saved. You can tack on individual stuff - fog lights are $50 on eBay, Infact I want to replace the vanilla fogs on my CX-5 because the yellow DRL sucks bigtime and I never mod my cars. So fogs with DRL in them are what I am looking for. You dont need to do this in 17. Get an aftermarket LED Fogs and you are golden. Plus you get the beautiful DRLs in your main headlights.

If I am in the market looking for a used car in 2020 I will be looking at
17 CX-5
17 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid / Energi

Really solid vehicle and by 2020 will have a good idea of issues with 17 if any.

The 16.5 is not loud at all. And I don't need rear vents (no kids), reclining rear seats, don't really care about LED running lights, or a heads up display. Just my personal preference.

I don't know if I need rear vents yet or not. I'll let you know in June. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I already have electric memory seat, passenger just electric, also already have Led lights, and extra sound deadening over the previous version, I think you would call my car the 2016, bought in Nov 2015?

USA version gets very little we did not have these in 16.5. So this is a lot of stuff for us.
Seeing all these changes in - I predicted a 1000 to 2000 price rise but seeing opposite trend. From an MSRP perspective you can get a 17 much cheaper similarly spec'd vs a 16 with a ton more stuff.
I like interior door trims as well, in my 16.5 if I push the door plastic under the windows - it moves 2 inches in and flexes out - hope Mazda fixed it.
Plus another complain on 16.5 was center trim piece was too dark. Hard to notice it was greyish under normal light. This new interior fixes that - good stuff.

The handling was great in the 2017s that I've driven. The new lighter steering is remarkably responsive, really hard to describe unless you've driven it, but it cuts through turns incredible smoothly, and is so much more fun to drive, feels like driving a much smaller car.

Sometimes the dealers forget to lower the tire pressure from the shipping pressure (which is nearly 45-50 psi). This a big mistake because on a test drive the car will be much louder, ride rougher and have compromised handling. Not saying that's the case here, but it's something to look out for.

Sometimes the dealers forget to lower the tire pressure from the shipping pressure (which is nearly 45-50 psi). This a big mistake because on a test drive the car will be much louder, ride rougher and have compromised handling. Not saying that's the case here, but it's something to look out for.

You ain't kidding. I had mine a month before I thought to check the tires. Nearly 50 psi in each!

Back