2017 CX-5: Driven!!

:
'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N
Took the jaunt down to Wayne, NJ today- had the morning off after seeing and confirming they had over 100 in inventory- apparently they're the biggest dealer in the country- not sure if that's true but they had a crap load of cars- certainly biggest and nicest Mazda dealer I've seen..ANYWHO..

Drove the refreshed 16.5 GT tech first. Very familiar (obviously) quieter than my '14 but that's either all or mostly due to my winter tires I would guess. Reasons for buying would be for more of the same of the '14 that I really enjoy and a great deal but that's another story..

2017 CX-5- eternal blue touring AWD w/preferred but not (I don't think) i-active- sticker was 28,8- forgot to take a pic of it- dammit!
Exterior: Nice from the front, nice color that eternal blue- probably would be my choice as I don't love the machine grey like I imagined...back? eh is it bad if I say girly?

Interior: Visually nicer but mixed bag for me..liked the covering w/the faux swede inserts but the padding- soft- not terrible but definitely less firm than gen 1. Dash layout looks nice-modern chic..wheel looks and maybe feels a touch nicer. Gauge hood now intrudes on forward vision though..annoying!! Rear seat is better for sure- reclines and vents in the back of center console. Cargo- visually not as big a diff as expected but the load floor is noticeably higher- not a big deal (for me at least.) Bose stereo test- meh (little better maybe)- def sounded better in rear seat nearer the sub!

Driving: Familiar (still) ride is a bit softer (good I guess) but handling felt somewhat compromised- nothing more than seat of the pants so please take that fwiw but jerking the wheel slightly @55 resulted in bit more of a loosey goosey motion than I recall. Now that I think of it that's probably more a tire thing which btw are A36 now for 19s. Steering also felt light- especially so at low speeds- again nothing terrible or night and day about the driving experience just seemed like there was a layer of fluff albeit thin- to me its there and again this is not such a bad thing. As for noise I wasn't at highway speed long enough quite honestly- (my bad) but I did drive 3 cars and my time was somewhat limited. Head up display on the gt which I drove next was certainly better than plexiglass solution but I don't think I'd pony up to get it- or even a gt maybe- wheels underwhelming at best- 16s are better looking all day long. Acceleration- no perceivable difference.

Summary: I don't know whether to say sorry to those waiting/chomping to get a taste of the new one or congrats to those who got late gen 1 examples- either would be unfair both because my time in each wasn't enough and everyone's tastes and priorities are different. For me if I can score a sweetie 16.5 gt tech that's where my enthusiast brain would lead me. The fact that he got closer to my number on the '17 touring w/preferred at this point in time, diesel on the way, tells me I should probably keep the powder dry. Did I miss something? Any questions?

Last edited:
Yea, good review man. Thanks.

Drove the refreshed 16.5 GT tech first. Very familiar (obviously) quieter than my '14 but that's either all or mostly due to my winter tires I would guess.

Sound deadening was added in 16, again in 16.5 and in 17. Wasn't your tires.

How quiet was the 17? I don't think the 16.5 is remotely loud, so curious how quiet the 17 is.

Nice write up. I went and checked out the GT at my dealer. Only had a few minutes today, but first impression was that it definitely looks lower. The rims aren't as bad as they first appeared, but the front end will take some time to get used to.

Yea, good review man. Thanks.

Sound deadening was added in 16, again in 16.5 and in 17. Wasn't your tires.

How quiet was the 17? I don't think the 16.5 is remotely loud, so curious how quiet the 17 is.

17 was definitely quiet- bit lower/sleeker as noted/expected but 16.5 seemed pretty quiet too. 7 man trust me my ~4/32nds Dunlop wintersport 3Ds are no doubt the vast majority of my noise issues once I get over 40 or so (upside is wind noise is almost imperceivable!) Also the cause of me being so confident in corners that I actually invoked the evidently not overly intrusive stability control to stop my oversteer today, yes honest to goodness ass out OVERsteer on dry warm-ish asphalt! Wow, 3.5 years 66k miles and really didn't see that one coming- I'm sure me going downhill had a lot do with that but seriously how can you not love this car as the driver!

People see winter tire and think soft and loose- these babies are anything but- car handles as good or better than 19" Toyos which don't suck- ride is actually rougher on these 235/65-17 XL rated I believe also- sidewalls are literally animals.

Other 17 side thought- passenger seat on touring had height adjustment..nice!

Last edited:
So you switch back to the 19s for summer?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Typically yes also- this year being as the Dunlops aren't of much use in snow anymore @4/32s I'll tough out the noise and run them out. I do still enjoy them on back roads, still great in the rain- never were that great in significant snow, but that's a performance snow tire for ya- no regrets haha. Northern NE/adks they wouldn't cut it.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing

on their website, they have Touring with Preferred package listed for $28935, which means Preferred package is really only $780!!!
http://www.waynemazda.com/new/Mazda/2017-Mazda-Mazda+CX-5-Wayne-adeae9930a0e0a1771a0e24419f82357.htm

base touring: 27215
destination: 950
preferred pkg: 780

add them all up: 28945.

too bad they can't have both Preferred and I-activesense pkgs together, the 17" wheel looks more attractive to me than the 19"

You know I forgot to look at the dang sticker but there you have it yrwei- looks like we stand corrected!! Maybe an early launch deal? Agreed on wheels..if I go '17 pretty sure it won't be a gt- touring has the lights now- no fogs but can add I believe. Touring ftw! Take that over a CR-V EX all day long. Only annoying thing for me is I already have some nice, dipped aftermarket 17s I use for winter and would want to get something larger, more aggressive for summer..1st world problems

Last edited:
Trade it in with the 17s on it. Keep the 19s. 👍

Probably get dinged even more esp. w/winters on it- I guess I could try...but I have the old 19s and 18x7.5 or 8 is probably where I'd go if given the choice.

So more of the same really, just in a different wrapper.

Having had a 2013 and now the 2015 car, it is defiantly quieter, but heavier as a result.
Has the 2017 car now put more weight on?

And what really are Mazda offering, its not faster, not more economical, has no android auto, still only has 6 gears.

So no need to rush out and buy one IMO.

On the other hand if Mazda was offering another 10 ps or an extra gear, with android auto, with the same economy, then I can see some reason to buy one.

Chap I bought my set of 4 19" wheels off did that.
He also said the car handled noticeably better on the 19".

Reason he was selling was due to excessive oil rise with his diesel car, so chopped it in for a Ford Kuga.

Trade it in with the 17s on it. Keep the 19s. ��

Looks like my CX-5 Type R remains the pinnacle of the CX-5. AWD, slickroof, no sound deadening, live traffic on the NAV.

Took the jaunt down to Wayne, NJ today- had the morning off after seeing and confirming they had over 100 in inventory- apparently they're the biggest dealer in the country- not sure if that's true but they had a crap load of cars- certainly biggest and nicest Mazda dealer I've seen..ANYWHO..

Drove the refreshed 16.5 GT tech first. Very familiar (obviously) quieter than my '14 but that's either all or mostly due to my winter tires I would guess. Reasons for buying would be for more of the same of the '14 that I really enjoy and a great deal but that's another story..

2017 CX-5- eternal blue touring AWD w/preferred but not (I don't think) i-active- sticker was 28,8- forgot to take a pic of it- dammit!
Exterior: Nice from the front, nice color that eternal blue- probably would be my choice as I don't love the machine grey like I imagined...back? eh is it bad if I say girly?

Interior: Visually nicer but mixed bag for me..liked the covering w/the faux swede inserts but the padding- soft- not terrible but definitely less firm than gen 1. Dash layout looks nice-modern chic..wheel looks and maybe feels a touch nicer. Gauge hood now intrudes on forward vision though..annoying!! Rear seat is better for sure- reclines and vents in the back of center console. Cargo- visually not as big a diff as expected but the load floor is noticeably higher- not a big deal (for me at least.) Bose stereo test- meh (little better maybe)- def sounded better in rear seat nearer the sub!

Driving: Familiar (still) ride is a bit softer (good I guess) but handling felt somewhat compromised- nothing more than seat of the pants so please take that fwiw but jerking the wheel slightly @55 resulted in bit more of a loosey goosey motion than I recall. Now that I think of it that's probably more a tire thing which btw are A36 now for 19s. Steering also felt light- especially so at low speeds- again nothing terrible or night and day about the driving experience just seemed like there was a layer of fluff albeit thin- to me its there and again this is not such a bad thing. As for noise I wasn't at highway speed long enough quite honestly- (my bad) but I did drive 3 cars and my time was somewhat limited. Head up display on the gt which I drove next was certainly better than plexiglass solution but I don't think I'd pony up to get it- or even a gt maybe- wheels underwhelming at best- 16s are better looking all day long. Acceleration- no perceivable difference.

Summary: I don't know whether to say sorry to those waiting/chomping to get a taste of the new one or congrats to those who got late gen 1 examples- either would be unfair both because my time in each wasn't enough and everyone's tastes and priorities are different. For me if I can score a sweetie 16.5 gt tech that's where my enthusiast brain would lead me. The fact that he got closer to my number on the '17 touring w/preferred at this point in time, diesel on the way, tells me I should probably keep the powder dry. Did I miss something? Any questions?

I've driven the 2017 a few times already, and was a backseat passenger when my wife drove it. I'm waiting for my new 2017 diesel with the luxury trim, it arrives on April 8.
We agree on many of the points, and I'll make some comparisons where I feel differently, or want to clarify.

2017 CX-5 XDL and 2017 CX 5 Proactive Gasoline 2.5 -

Interior: Visually nicer, looks more upscale, BMW light, new power seats are MUCH more comfortable than the old ones, a real selling point for me. Dash layout looks nice-modern chic..wheel looks and maybe feels a touch nicer. HUD is cool as hell, and quite adjustable. Japan navi system is multilingual now, and a significant improvement over my 2014. CD/DVD player in ours! I fit into the rear seat, certainly more room and space for 6'3" me. AC vents in back are good. Bose stereo test- sounded much better than 2014. Much smaller rear blind spot for lane changes and turns.

Driving: I found both the diesel and the 2.5 to handle nicely. Steering is much lighter (good thing). Ride is firmer feeling and at highway speed it was much quieter than 2014.

Summary: I liked it enough to buy a new one.

So more of the same really, just in a different wrapper.

Having had a 2013 and now the 2015 car, it is defiantly quieter, but heavier as a result.
Has the 2017 car now put more weight on?

And what really are Mazda offering, its not faster, not more economical, has no android auto, still only has 6 gears.

So no need to rush out and buy one IMO.

On the other hand if Mazda was offering another 10 ps or an extra gear, with android auto, with the same economy, then I can see some reason to buy one.

They do have some extra/new gear. The HUD and rear vents/AC.

Back